Kodi Community Forum
Linux ripping software? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=113)
+--- Thread: Linux ripping software? (/showthread.php?tid=90528)

Pages: 1 2

Linux ripping software? - zener - 2011-01-14

I'm about to start ripping my DVD collection. I really would like to do this only once. My general idea is to RIP to ISO, then I can convert it into some other format later. I'm not worried about disk space.

I'm looking for a command line tool do do the ripping, that way I can make a little script to automate the process. The only thing I'll have to do is to feed the drive after it ejects the DVD.

My first plan was to use ddrescue for the rip. And isoinfo to get the DVD title which will be used as the filename for the ISO file.

Are there any CLI programs which is better than ddrescue?
What about bad DVDs?
Are there any CRC checks or similar within the ISO format of the DVD itself so I can check the integrity of the ripped ISO image?
Is there a signature within the ISO which can be used to look up the movie in any of the online movie databases?

Thanks!

- .:B:. - 2011-01-14

Code:
dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/path/to/your/brand/new.iso

It doesn't get any easier than that, just byte copies everything on it. Including CSS, if any Tongue.

Edit: apparently ddrescue is a better version of dd, so ignore my suggestion.+

So, to answer your questions:
1) not that I know of, ddrescue is regarded as superior
2) you'll have to try to see how it works out, but ddrescue seems to handle them better than dd
3) no, all you can do is checksum the iso and the cdrom block device
4) not really, no. Do you think movie studios aim to accomodate piracy, whether that's your backup copy or a rip for someone else? Wink My suggestion would be to use an .nfo file with the same name as your iso (check the wiki for info on that).

- zener - 2011-01-14

.:B:. Wrote:Edit: apparently ddrescue is a better version of dd, so ignore my suggestion.

Yes, ddrescue works similar to dd, except it tries harder to fix errors. I've had cases where dd fails and ddrescue works.

However I've also seen cases where ddrescue takes forever, probably a bad DVD, but I can still play the DVD in a player, maybe I miss some frames or a some hundred audio samples. In this case is it possible to make an ISO file which is as usable as the bad DVD?

- .:B:. - 2011-01-14

I couldn't tell, in the end the quality of the source is the same (both ddrescue and your DVD playback program access the DVD itself). So it's down to the error correction mechanisms, I'd say, but that's mostly (if not exclusively) hardware (handled by the drive).

- zener - 2011-01-14

.:B:. Wrote:So it's down to the error correction mechanisms, I'd say, but that's mostly (if not exclusively) hardware (handled by the drive).

I agree, but at least theoretically one could fix errors, e.g. interpolate frames, updating checksums, either on the fly in hardware, firmware, or software or on the broken ISO file.

I haven't played around with the ddrescue options that much. If anybody have any experience options like --direct, --synchronous etc. I would be happy to hear about it. I'm only using the --block-size=2048 option for now.

- alanwww1 - 2011-01-14

All you need...

http://handbrake.fr/

https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive/handbrake-snapshots

- zener - 2011-01-14

Thank you. Is the ripper in handbrake better than ddrescue?

I'm on gentoo and there's no ebuild of handbrake in gentoo. I downloaded the source and startet compiling, but there are some dependencies I have to resolve (som perl modules).

- Pvt_Ryan - 2011-01-14

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

Excellent for the transcoding as a couple of machines connected via gigabit and you have a nice cluster.. Big Grin

- zener - 2011-01-14

Pvt_Ryan Wrote:http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

I read that the ripper was written in Perl. I would assume that it's using a library to access the actual hardware. I have a little difficulties to see that a Perl based ripper can be much more robust than a low level C style ripper, even though it's possible.

It also seems like dvdrip is a GUI only application. Is that correct? I don't want to sit and click buttons. I just want to wrap a script around the rip process so the dvd is ejected when it's finished and starts again when a new one has been inserted. That way I can tell my kids and wife to insert a dvd whenever they go by the computer and the tray is open...

- zener - 2011-01-14

Of course for the transcoding part dvdrip might be excellent.

- darkscout - 2011-01-14

Handbrake if you want mkvs
dd if you want isos.

- GJones - 2011-01-14

Though not open source, I have found nothing to compare to MakeMKV. The console version, makemkvcon is very usable under Linux and very scriptable. For transcoding, HandBrake really is the standard.

- Pvt_Ryan - 2011-01-15

zener Wrote:I read that the ripper was written in Perl. I would assume that it's using a library to access the actual hardware. I have a little difficulties to see that a Perl based ripper can be much more robust than a low level C style ripper, even though it's possible.

It also seems like dvdrip is a GUI only application. Is that correct? I don't want to sit and click buttons. I just want to wrap a script around the rip process so the dvd is ejected when it's finished and starts again when a new one has been inserted. That way I can tell my kids and wife to insert a dvd whenever they go by the computer and the tray is open...

It's not gui only, everything that can be done in a gui can be done from the commandline. iirc it is highly script-able as well.

It has been a while since I used it though.

- zener - 2011-01-15

Thanks. I'll see if I can find an ebuild on gentoo.

Commandline tools - tassbur - 2011-01-15

Hi,

First, you should do a backup of the DVD:

dvdbackup is the tool you need. It can do a mirror of the DVD (dvdbackup -M) or it can backup specified tittles, and the output can be an iso image, a folder, with the structure of the DVD.....

After the backup you should encode the DVD, and for that i have a couple of suggestions:

1. ffmpeg
  2. mencoder

ffmpeg is one of the most verstile encoder/decoder in the world. It can encode to a great variety of formats (ffmpeg --formats) mpeg2, flv, h264, xvid, ogg, aac,...., containers that it support: avi, mkv, ts, flv, ...
man ffmpeg and ffmpeg -h are your friends.

Mencoder It's the alternative to ffmpeg, the main difference is that mencoder only output in avi file, later you should (or not) convert them to another format (mkv, ogm,...)

To make the life easier there are some scripts like h264enc to encode to h264 format, with mp3, aac, aac+, ... and mkv, avi, ts, ... This script use mencoder and a few other free available package (mkvmerge, gpac, faac, lame, etc.)

Another script like h264enc is xvidenc.

I hope this could help you.