Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- Jason102 - 2011-03-27

No, there's not a 20 channel limit. The limit is 999 channels. Currently, the ability to fill empty channels with presets, though, only goes up to channel 20. I know that a few users are using more than 50 channels. If there is some issue with going above 20 channels, I would make sure that you didn't accidentally skip a number in your playlists, or misname one of the files. If you did, it would fill with presets up to 20 and then stop.

- siacrash - 2011-03-29

thanks for the response jason i will look into that.

- ryan03rr - 2011-03-29

Jason102 Wrote:No, there's not a 20 channel limit. The limit is 999 channels. Currently, the ability to fill empty channels with presets, though, only goes up to channel 20. I know that a few users are using more than 50 channels. If there is some issue with going above 20 channels, I would make sure that you didn't accidentally skip a number in your playlists, or misname one of the files. If you did, it would fill with presets up to 20 and then stop.

played around in globals.xml i think, maybe another file too.. set it to 30
and renamed a coupled of my CHAN_X to PRESET_X
it worked... matched icon with names and they popped up...
so i think functionality is there... unless im missing something..
i dont use presets... was just playing around on test box and it seemed to work.

Jason102 Wrote:I know that a few users are using more than 50 channels.
almost channels 80 here, slows it a little on opening on some nix boxes. but the win machines(albeit ALOT more powerful) dont mind 80 channels at all
thanks again for badass plugin

- branlr - 2011-03-29

The problem, for me, is the fact that some of my playlists are by air-date, which means that sometimes a list will return no results because I have automated the deletion of talk shows and the like...

I like the automatic channels, however I think maybe they should serve only to allow people to use pseudotv without making their own playlists, and not to fill in random missing channels.

One alternate way to handle this that I think would be cool, rather than filling in a channel that will likely be redundant in context of the channels I have manually made, would be to allow the use of some kind of fall-back playlist.

This way, it gives the user a lot of flexibility in terms of what content gets replaced by what.

For example, a few low quality avis of a static image saying "No Content" with some music--or, you could do a "next best thing" approach... So if "comedy" returns nothing, it defaults to "cartoons" or something more distantly related.

Just thinking out loud here...

- Jason102 - 2011-03-29

There's quite a bit of an overhaul in the next version in how the channel list is dealt with. The presets used to fill in empty channels don't really exist anymore. The user can now choose for a channel to have an auto-generated playlist based on certain criteria instead of a playlist that they create themselves. I'll release a release candidate version soon so that I can get some feedback before I "force" it on everyone by making it official.

I understand what you'd like in terms of a "fall-back", I'm just not sure it would fit into the average user's setup. There may be some sort of compromise, though, that can help the average user and can be manipulated to do what you're saying...I'll think about it.

Simplicity skin? - TheOddLinguist - 2011-03-29

@Sranshaft/zepfan: Any chance one of you (or anyone, for that matter) can make something for the Simplicity skin? Perhaps similar to the work done for Confluence? And then...

@Jason102: If/When it's completed, any thoughts on the inclusion timeframe? It seems you've got a lot coming up in the next release...just figured I'd ask.

Side note: Any thoughts on a separate forum for PseudoTV? It doesn't seem as though the XBMC forum is making sub-forums for addons yet, so it'd have to be something external. I just feel bad hijacking this thread for my stupid little request.

- Jason102 - 2011-03-30

New version on stable-pre in the repository. Here is the changelog:

Improved:
- Added the channel configuration utility
- Allow the user to specify a directory for channel logos
- Changed a few of the configuration strings
- Added the ability to refresh channels on every start
- Improved the channel changing speed

Fixed:
- Properly resume a channel when switching between "currently playing" shows
- Fixed a potential crash in the mp4 parser

Try it out, see if there are problems or suggestions. If things go well with the testing, I'll push to official in a few days.

- Jason102 - 2011-03-30

I won't make another release just to add a skin, any new ones will be added upon a code-change release, though. I can't say a timeframe, it just depends on the time between releases.

- Sranshaft - 2011-03-30

@Jason: I really like where you're going with the channel configuration. I tried Jtucker's TV Time and, no offence to him but it's just too complicated. If I ever set my wife to try and use it I'd never hear the end of it.

Having said that, I'm sure you already know what I'm about to ask. Laugh When can we skin the Config window? What would be even better is that it could be integrated into the add-on setting window but from what I saw in the code, that doesn't look feasible.

Channel changing is super fast now - only limited by XBMC's ability to load the video.

I did notice two quirks with the TV Network playlists. For some reason it put Family Guy on Bravo of all channels and Seinfeld, Simpsons and The Office on CBS.

- TheOddLinguist - 2011-03-30

I have to agree with Sranshaft; the new channel configuration stuff is amazing. Well done...very excited about the possibilities here. ..and with a quick look through the code, I have to say your methodology is sheer genius. hehe

I am, however, also having the random show placement issues Sranshaft mentioned; I've got some weird shows appearing in Bravo as well as a few others. I can get details if it helps.

- Jason102 - 2011-03-30

It may be possible to skin it, but it'd be even more complicated than the EPG. I made all of the images generic, and tried it on a few skins to make sure it at least worked.

Can one of you guys post a debug log of opening the channel configuration tool? The TV networks are filled in based on how the shows you have are scrapped and what network the show is associated with...in this case I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong and the shows just aren't scraped improperly.

Oh, worth noting: I forgot to add to the changelog that the OSD works now.

- zepfan - 2011-03-31

Jason, on the new version when I add a new show via the config, and set it as serial mode, it just shows the first episode as a long (infinite) episode. Anyone else have this issue?

- jtucker1972 - 2011-03-31

Sranshaft Wrote:I tried Jtucker's TV Time and, no offence to him but it's just too complicated. If I ever set my wife to try and use it I'd never hear the end of it.

None taken. I am kind of a chop shop where I take what Jason provides and add stuff on top. Some things work, some things don't. I agree that the current TV Time channel management system is a bit much, but it's what I could do. I also like what Jason has done with the latest version. I just couldn't figure out how to do it that way.

There may be a time where PseudoTV has all the extra features mine has. Then there will not be a need for TV Time, but until then I will continue to chop and try new things to see how they work.

- Jason102 - 2011-03-31

Hmm, serial mode just creates a playlist ordered by air date(plus some extra junk while playing). Can you try and create a smart playlist on your own (same show, order is first played) an see if it has more than 1 episode in it?

- zepfan - 2011-03-31

Jason102 Wrote:Hmm, serial mode just creates a playlist ordered by air date(plus some extra junk while playing). Can you try and create a smart playlist on your own (same show, order is first played) an see if it has more than 1 episode in it?

It doesn't work if I make it manually.