Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+----- Forum: PseudoTV / PseudoTV Live (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231)
+----- Thread: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script (/showthread.php?tid=90738)

- User 55003 - 2011-04-06

Nice job on the reFocus skin Sranshaft, really compliments the skin..

Thanks for that epg text update Jason102, just a simple colour reversal can make a big differance, cheers.

- Juntistik - 2011-04-06

Is there a possibility to add a live tv function to the remote? Do the channels play during the playlists selected in "real time" after rewinding or fast forwarding or changed content on the channel? Much like a DVR?

any possibility we could also get a skin browser?

Can we get channel icons to disappear and reappear throughout playback kinda like a tv station?

I just found this plugin and I think its amazing this makes choosing what to watch so much easier! It completely solves the problems my roommates and I face we can't choose what to watch out of my massive library.

Thank you so much!

- zepfan - 2011-04-07

Jason, do you have any idea when you're going to update the repo? I just need a final date to get all my skin updates do you by.

- Jason102 - 2011-04-07

@zepfan: I plan on doing it this weekend. Hopefully that's enough time to weed put any critical bugs. If you need a bit longer, I can wait for a few more days if necessary.

@Juntistik: Heh, of course it's possible, I'm just not sure it would be of much value. The idea of exactly simulating a DVR is appealing on the surface, but I think that by doing that I would actually be limiting the flexibility that's possible for the system. If the user wants to jump around the playlist, they are welcome to do so, and enforcing any sort of "real-time" on the system would be...unintuitive without a gui change in some way.

A skin browser isn't really possible (as far as I know). XBMC selects the XML file to use based on the current skin, I have no control over what one is used.

As far as the channel logo thing goes...eh, I put in the optionally permanent channel logo bug because Sranshaft coded it up and I didn't have to do any work. Oddly enough, displaying the logo from time to time wouldn't be as easy as it sounds. Again with the previously mentioned multithreading in python. Well, I'll think about it even so...maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

- Juntistik - 2011-04-07

Jason102 Wrote:Heh, of course it's possible, I'm just not sure it would be of much value. The idea of exactly simulating a DVR is appealing on the surface, but I think that by doing that I would actually be limiting the flexibility that's possible for the system. If the user wants to jump around the playlist, they are welcome to do so, and enforcing any sort of "real-time" on the system would be...unintuitive without a gui change in some way.

Thats a good point but maybe if it wasn't permanent solution but maybe a user option? When I look at the guide and see that a video is playing halfway through and I go to that channel it starts from the beginning it just doesn't feel right to me. What I like about channel "surfyness" is just flipping around whether it has already started or not, like catching the end of a movie instead of starting the whole thing from the beginning. Doing this function while still letting you jump around the playlists.

I'm sure it would take alot of time to make happen so it would make sense to not implement the idea.

Thanks for your input and hard work!

- zepfan - 2011-04-07

Great! I'll get them done by Friday night!

- Jason102 - 2011-04-07

Quote:When I look at the guide and see that a video is playing halfway through and I go to that channel it starts from the beginning it just doesn't feel right to me. What I like about channel "surfyness" is just flipping around whether it has already started or not, like catching the end of a movie instead of starting the whole thing from the beginning. Doing this function while still letting you jump around the playlists.

This is how things should work, actually. It works this way when manually going up or down in channels. If you open the EPG and see that a show on another channel is "currently playing" (based on the time bar) then selecting that show should start playing it at some appropriate offset. I have seen the issue that you talk about, though...I just have a hard time reliably reproducing it in order to debug it. As far as I can tell it generally (perhaps only) happens with movies. If you come to some conclusion as to when the situation happens (ex. if i select a movie that started more than 30 minutes ago, or is more than half over) then that would be fantastic help.

- jtucker1972 - 2011-04-07

Jason, I've found a peculiar behavior. If you open the Channel Config, minimize the XBMC window and then maximize it again, you cannot scroll the listings. I can escape out, but the Channel Listing won't respond. The odds of this happening in real use is very limited, but thought I'd mention it.

- Juntistik - 2011-04-08

Jason102 Wrote:This is how things should work, actually. It works this way when manually going up or down in channels. If you open the EPG and see that a show on another channel is "currently playing" (based on the time bar) then selecting that show should start playing it at some appropriate offset. I have seen the issue that you talk about, though...I just have a hard time reliably reproducing it in order to debug it. As far as I can tell it generally (perhaps only) happens with movies. If you come to some conclusion as to when the situation happens (ex. if i select a movie that started more than 30 minutes ago, or is more than half over) then that would be fantastic help.

I'll fool around and try to spot some patterns. Would be glad to help.

Edit: I reinstalled the plugin and everything works the way you have described. Much better! Keeping an eye out for bugs and report to base Smile

- simplechords - 2011-04-08

Where do I find the channel configuration. I'm install from the xbmc.org repo.

- Jason102 - 2011-04-08

The channel configuration utility is currently being tested, but should be in an update this weekend. If you want to use custom channels right now, please take a look at the first page of this thread or the Readme.txt file for instructions on how to properly set them up.

- danz0l - 2011-04-08

Jason102 Wrote:This is how things should work, actually. It works this way when manually going up or down in channels. If you open the EPG and see that a show on another channel is "currently playing" (based on the time bar) then selecting that show should start playing it at some appropriate offset. I have seen the issue that you talk about, though...I just have a hard time reliably reproducing it in order to debug it. As far as I can tell it generally (perhaps only) happens with movies. If you come to some conclusion as to when the situation happens (ex. if i select a movie that started more than 30 minutes ago, or is more than half over) then that would be fantastic help.

I have the same issue Jason for most of my channels and they are usually TV ones. As you say it doesnt happen if you surf up and down the channels but through the EPG i can reproduce it almost all the time (select another channel that has a timeline half way through the program and it will generally restart at the beginning).

- User 55003 - 2011-04-08

danz0l Wrote:I have the same issue Jason for most of my channels and they are usually TV ones. As you say it doesnt happen if you surf up and down the channels but through the EPG i can reproduce it almost all the time (select another channel that has a timeline half way through the program and it will generally restart at the beginning).

I think that when your in the epg that's how it should be, remember that there is a bit of time travel going on here..Smile When just flicking through channels it also seems about right, if you stumble on a good show you have the option to < back to the start..just my 10c.

- Pete7 - 2011-04-08

I would have to disagree with you there Steveb. After clicking on an episode in the epg you have the option of going back to the beginning. If it were to start at the beginning every time, there is no option to go back to were it "was".

- danz0l - 2011-04-08

I agree with Pete here. If the timeline shows it halfway through and you click on that, its counter productive it starting at the start. I could have reversed the timeline so i could get all the show but seems a little strange having it start from the beginning when the EPG says its been half way through. Kinda defeats the timeline then really.