Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- assembling - 2011-02-18

xoox Wrote:@assembling
Create a source under Videos and use that instead of Live-TV -> recordings.

Thanks, turns out my recordings are actually appearing in there, just after a restart of xbmc.

- krijeck - 2011-02-18

dushmaniac Wrote:hmm weird. can't see something in your log that indicates an error.

The Pastebin log in post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=727074&postcount=129 shows the following error (fist error with PVR I found in the log):

Code:
17:08:41 T:3079300992 M:1436553216  NOTICE: PVR: PVRManager starting
17:08:41 T:3079300992 M:1436377088   ERROR: PVR: couldn't load any clients

but anyhow now it works like a charm!
Thanks

PS: dont know if thats correct to note in this thread but (skin issue):
I am running Customizable Confluence and I managed to start Live TV with adding a favorite to an newly added source (as described in the old thread).
Then I placed a new entry in the home menue.

Works - but - I am not able to access the additional features of the PVR (like EPG and so on). No
This is just a workaround at the moment but if someone has an Idea how to do this in another way I appreciate every input.

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-18

well, that error (couldn't load any clients) is the result. what is causing it isn't logged.

that "Customizable Confluence" skin is not supported. only normal Confluence is fully supported. some other skins have experimental/beta support.

- dysan911 - 2011-02-18

Is the 32bit version of Ubuntu recommended over the 64bit? Assuming I might run into less issue if I go with the 32bit right?

Thanks!

- krijeck - 2011-02-18

dushmaniac Wrote:well, that error (couldn't load any clients) is the result. what is causing it isn't logged.

that "Customizable Confluence" skin is not supported. only normal Confluence is fully supported. some other skins have experimental/beta support.

ah i see ... unfortunately i deleted the old log file. Sorry - would have been interesting I asume. next time i will run into simlar difficulties I will save the log file for a longer time.

@Skin issue: as said before my workaround is OK for the moment.
thanks for that great work!

- BiX82 - 2011-02-19

ant_thomas Wrote:I'm fairly sure there isn't a proper timeshift / live buffer feature, so that's why it isn't available in fullscreen.

Does it actually work from the list of channels?

Yes it work from the list of channels. But only Pause. You can't use fastforward or rewind. I can live with that atm. The only thing I would like to have is to do it in fullscreen. Maybe the theme Confluence isn't set up right and the next update will fix that.

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-19

it doesn't work properly yet and unless someone sends me patches it won't work properly any time soon

- dysan911 - 2011-02-19

dysan911 Wrote:Is the 32bit version of Ubuntu recommended over the 64bit? Assuming I might run into less issue if I go with the 32bit right?

Thanks!

Okay guys thanks for answering a basic question.

Whats the point of this entire thread if nobody will help anyone?

I installed the 32bit version since NOBODY would bother to say what was preferred.

I successfully installed the TVHeadend but now what? I logged into the Config page. Is it supposed to start filling in TV channels or something?

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-19

I answered that question last week or the week before. use whatever you want, 32 or 64 bit.

if you need help configuring tvheadend, have a look at the tvheadend website, forum or irc channel.

and loose that attitude or I won't answer anything you ask anymore.

- dysan911 - 2011-02-19

dushmaniac Wrote:I answered that question last week or the week before. use whatever you want, 32 or 64 bit.

if you need help configuring tvheadend, have a look at the tvheadend website, forum or irc channel.

and loose that attitude or I won't answer anything you ask anymore.

Sorry, I swear I didn't see it and I read the entire thread. I must have missed it or you answered it for someone else.

I did look at the tvheadend website as far as configuring it but it just seems to be a high overview. I get to the part about channel configuration and I assume it should have already populated everything there. I should be seeing channels already but there aren't any so I didn't know.

I'll keep playing around with it but this just might be way over my head. Sad

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-19

@dysan911:
I updated the OP. Check the paragraph "Configuring TVheadend".

- janumix - 2011-02-19

janumix Wrote:@dush:

Do you know what maybe problem of ? XBMC crushed after.

Code:
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPDemux::Read - Frame type B
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPDemux::Read - Frame type P
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPDemux::Read - Frame type
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 5 times.
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPDemux::Read - Frame type B
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
20:59:57 T:83082096 M:837685248   DEBUG: AddOnLog: xbmc.pvrclient/Tvheadend HTSP Client: cHTSPDemux::Read - Frame type P
20:59:57 T:3078219648 M:838193152   ERROR: convert_checked failed from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-2, errno=84

Regards
Janusz

It seems that's by XMLTV parser setup in tvheadend. Surely it shouldn't cause xbmc to crush (happens very often). However how to use it ? Should xmltv convert to specific coding ?

Regards
Janusz

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-19

known problem in the "old version".
might or might not be fixed in the latest development version.

new packages based on the development version will be sent to the ppa soon so people can test it. don't ask me for a date yet.

- janumix - 2011-02-19

thanks - waiting for that.

- speed32219 - 2011-02-21

Finally getting round to trying this feature out using an external antenna connected to my Pinnacle HDTV PCI card using OTA ATSC. I installed the required SW and started the configuration, but I am running into a setup problem. It seems I can not configure a backend, or as a noob I do not understand the instructions (highly likely).
Code:
[b]Step 1[/b]
Configuring TVheadend
Go to the TVheadend GUI by visiting http://yourmachine:9981/
Go to configuration -> tv adapters and select a tv adapter.
Set the "NIT-o Network ID". You can find that in your provider's manual.
[b]Left as default 0, since OTA I'm not sure what to do here)[/b]
Enable "Autodetect muxes" and "Idle scanning"
Then select "Add DVB Network by location"
Click "save"

When I put 192.168.1.156 in place of your machine (above) I get the configuration screen.  
I then select tv adapters and select my adapter with that also has an extension labeled "frontend".

Map DVB Services to channels: It found the local channels and I assigned local channel numbers, going great so far.
Now onto the second part.

[b]Step 2[/b]
Configuring XBMC
After installing, you can head to http://yourserver:[b]9981[/b]/ to access the web interface and configure the backend.
[b]  I am trying to configure tvheadend (Backend/Frontend - server/clinet) on the same machine [/b]

This is my problem, I end up on the same configuration screen
with the TV adapter and channels being the same.  There is no reference to [b]"backend"  or
server.  [/b]

I tought maybe I need to configure a DVR, but when I look at the addons, everything references
the DVR as frontend. I did enable and configure one of the DVR selections (VNSI I think) and put
password and server name in the configureation.   Am I not understanding the terminology of backend (aka server) vs frontend?

Anyhow, when I try and congiure it in the System > TV > channel manager > and select active
and then map channels  XBMCe-loads, no crash log so maybe it is suppose to do that.
The setup documentation is pretty lame even on the tvheadend site.
If I go to TV on main xbmc menu and hit select I get an error "No Pvr Clients Availalbe".

And I run this without a PVR client enabled?  Just to watch live tv a first.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

UPDATE: I figured it out, myabe I'll write up a noob document. IT is very confusing jumping all over the forums/posts/URL's. I had hts tvheadend and a vnsi pvr enabled, not to mention different user names and passwords. I used my xbmc name and password and not the one I setup the intial tvheadend with. Anyhow I have locals OTA in HD right now. Just have to figure out how not to window the video screen and go full screen. Thank you for all your help, inital posts and hundreds upon hundreds of pages of posts. LOL It looks good! Smile