Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- jacksback - 2011-02-21

Hey guys.

I've been trialing Tvheadend and VDR and I ended up favoring VDR because of the faster channel zapping times, but VDR is not very user friendly and I've been having ongoing issues with the plugin not starting correctly and random freezing. I think Tvheadend is the better PVR plugin but I'm a speed freak so is there anyway to improve the zapping times or is there something else I can tweak?

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on an i3 with 4GB of DDR3 ram and have a Turbosat dual tuner DVB-S2 card.

Thanks

- dmankg - 2011-02-21

hi all,

we are using tvheadend for live tv. working well no problems yet with SD channels. now we r planning to implement HD channels and just wondering if thvheadend is capable working stable with HD channels as well? may be some of u tried. how is it? is it stable?
thanks

- maartenmeijer - 2011-02-22

dmankg Wrote:hi all,

we are using tvheadend for live tv. working well no problems yet with SD channels. now we r planning to implement HD channels and just wondering if thvheadend is capable working stable with HD channels as well? may be some of u tried. how is it? is it stable?
thanks

I'm using XBMC with HD channels and i'm quite okay with it. I'm able to get good zapping times and no lag when playing. Only problem is that when it's in the background it starts stuttering. Don't know if others experience this as well.

Btw, is it me or are the logo's not working anymore? I can't seem to get any channel logo in xbmc. I used this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76882.

- grassmunk - 2011-02-22

speed32219 Wrote:Finally getting round to trying this feature out using an external antenna connected to my Pinnacle HDTV PCI card using OTA ATSC. I installed the required SW and started the configuration, but I am running into a setup problem. It seems I can not configure a backend, or as a noob I do not understand the instructions (highly likely).
Code:
[b]Step 1[/b]
Configuring TVheadend
Go to the TVheadend GUI by visiting http://yourmachine:9981/
Go to configuration -> tv adapters and select a tv adapter.
Set the "NIT-o Network ID". You can find that in your provider's manual.
[b]Left as default 0, since OTA I'm not sure what to do here)[/b]
Enable "Autodetect muxes" and "Idle scanning"
Then select "Add DVB Network by location"
Click "save"

When I put 192.168.1.156 in place of your machine (above) I get the configuration screen.  
I then select tv adapters and select my adapter with that also has an extension labeled "frontend".

Map DVB Services to channels: It found the local channels and I assigned local channel numbers, going great so far.
Now onto the second part.

[b]Step 2[/b]
Configuring XBMC
After installing, you can head to http://yourserver:[b]9981[/b]/ to access the web interface and configure the backend.
[b]  I am trying to configure tvheadend (Backend/Frontend - server/clinet) on the same machine [/b]

This is my problem, I end up on the same configuration screen
with the TV adapter and channels being the same.  There is no reference to [b]"backend"  or
server.  [/b]

I tought maybe I need to configure a DVR, but when I look at the addons, everything references
the DVR as frontend. I did enable and configure one of the DVR selections (VNSI I think) and put
password and server name in the configureation.   Am I not understanding the terminology of backend (aka server) vs frontend?

Anyhow, when I try and congiure it in the System > TV > channel manager > and select active
and then map channels  XBMCe-loads, no crash log so maybe it is suppose to do that.
The setup documentation is pretty lame even on the tvheadend site.
If I go to TV on main xbmc menu and hit select I get an error "No Pvr Clients Availalbe".

And I run this without a PVR client enabled?  Just to watch live tv a first.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

UPDATE: I figured it out, myabe I'll write up a noob document. IT is very confusing jumping all over the forums/posts/URL's. I had hts tvheadend and a vnsi pvr enabled, not to mention different user names and passwords. I used my xbmc name and password and not the one I setup the intial tvheadend with. Anyhow I have locals OTA in HD right now. Just have to figure out how not to window the video screen and go full screen. Thank you for all your help, inital posts and hundreds upon hundreds of pages of posts. LOL It looks good! Smile

Where did you get the card? I'm thinking of getting one to replace the one I have.

Do you have any timeouts or channels not loading? I find tvheadend (on my card) works for the first channel I select but then everything else timesout (importing the stations was a major pain in the ass because of tvheadends lack of a timeout function).

As far as going full screen there's a button on my mce remote that does it. Look at the bottom of the numbers for the "enter" button. This should bring it up full screen.

- zoot149 - 2011-02-22

This looks so good - it has drawn me away from MythTV.

I am having a problem with inital setup of TVheadend. After choosing the relevant satellite (astra 28.2 for freesat in the UK) I click save and it does it stuff. The muxes awaiting inital scan goes down steadily until it reaches one and then hangs. The log file below reads

Feb 22 19:51:13 dvb: "/dev/dvb/adapter0" tuning to "99,999,990 kHz Horizontal (No satconf)" -- Front configuration failed -- Invalid argument, frequency: 140733282788022

TVheadend is still trying to do something - the currently tuned into figure keeps changing.

Where to now?

I am using a new install of xubuntu 10.04.

- jacksback - 2011-02-22

UPDATE - TvHeadend is actually very quick Smile

I changed my client to oscam and have extremely quick channel changing times now.

Great plugin. Many thanks to all the developers involved

- PANiCnz - 2011-02-23

Hi,

Have followed the instruction as per the first post but have hit a snag. I'm using XBMCLive, and have installed TVHeadEnd, however its my understanding that out of the box TVHeadend does not allow remote access to the UI, e.g. the access list needs to be modified, however since I'm using XBMCLive I don't have access to a browser to make the changes using a local browser. Any ideas?

- grassmunk - 2011-02-23

PANiCnz Wrote:Hi,

Have followed the instruction as per the first post but have hit a snag. I'm using XBMCLive, and have installed TVHeadEnd, however its my understanding that out of the box TVHeadend does not allow remote access to the UI, e.g. the access list needs to be modified, however since I'm using XBMCLive I don't have access to a browser to make the changes using a local browser. Any ideas?

It should if you point your browser to http://<xbmcip>:9981 and use xbmc/xbmc as username/password.

Otherwise you can change it using ssh the file is in the folder /home/xbmc/.hts/tvheatend

- PANiCnz - 2011-02-23

grassmunk Wrote:It should if you point your browser to http://<xbmcip>:9981 and use xbmc/xbmc as username/password.

Otherwise you can change it using ssh the file is in the folder /home/xbmc/.hts/tvheatend

Thanks so much, worked a charm!

ATSC Tuning - grassmunk - 2011-02-23

Is there a way to convert the output from w_scan or scan (in dvb-tools) to be used in tvheadend? For some reason tvheadend only picks up less than 50% of the channels that w_scan finds. For example, tvheadend only finds 17 "services" whereas scan finds 40. This is all on ATSC.

Maybe I'm missing a setting here or something but I don't get how this is happening.

Also, what is causing a "service" in the "Services" tab to show up blank?

- Razor_109 - 2011-02-23

you might want to try to add the muxes manually

- DmitrySh - 2011-02-23

Hello
i reinstall whole system and repeat manual for installing xbmc-pvr with tvheadend.
TV card is installed and working.
TVHeadend installed too but at this time no dish only card. By the words, is it necessary for xbmc frontend that in tvheadend i have list of channels? (i don't tune channels at this time).
I enable addon and enable Live TV in settings.
When i press on Live TV and go to left menu XBMC chashes.
Here link for crash log - click
In tvheadend web interface i see that xbmc connects -
tsp: Got connection from 127.0.0.1

Feb 23 14:07:37 htsp: 127.0.0.1: Welcomed client software: XBMC Media Center

Feb 23 14:07:37 htsp: 127.0.0.1 [ XBMC Media Center ]: Identified as user dima

Feb 23 14:07:37 htsp: 127.0.0.1 [ dima | XBMC Media Center ]: Privileges raised

Feb 23 14:08:01 htsp: 127.0.0.1 [ dima | XBMC Media Center ]: Disconnected

Last message i think it's because of crash.

Please any help.Sad

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-23

something goes wrong while getting the list of recordings, shutting down xbmc and crashing while doing that (according to the crashlog).

that code's been changed completely in the development tree. you'll have to wait for a new release because I'm not going to fix things in the dharma based release anymore (unless you find a work around)

- dmankg - 2011-02-23

maartenmeijer Wrote:I'm using XBMC with HD channels and i'm quite okay with it. I'm able to get good zapping times and no lag when playing. Only problem is that when it's in the background it starts stuttering. Don't know if others experience this as well.

Btw, is it me or are the logo's not working anymore? I can't seem to get any channel logo in xbmc. I used this guide: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76882.

i did not even knew about the logos. but definetly try todayWink
you r using tvheadend with only one tv stream. in my case it can be 50 clients to tvheadend with hd channels. therefore i am wondering is someone here already doing this and how is it workingWink with Sd channels its perfect but how about HD channelsWink coz if 50 clients connect its kind of quite a workWink
thanks for dushmaniac for this wonderful piece of work!

- opdenkamp - 2011-02-23

in the development version, the logos that are set in tvheadend will automatically be set in xbmc.

@dmankg:
do you have the bandwidth to stream 50 x about 12Mbit?
it's not just my work btw.