Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- danz0l - 2011-04-22

Hi Guys, after trying out the PVR branch for a little while i am forced, albeit begrudgingly, to revert back to more stable dharma build as XBMC keeps hanging (blank screen) on the builds i've tried which is causing my wife considerable stress. It works perfect but seems to do this when left idle for sometime. We have woken every morning to a non functional xbmc although the system itself is still stable (as is tvheadend).

So my questions are.

1, How to i revert back to a more stable branch of XBMC (Dharma??) after following the guide on the first page.
2. Is there a more stable (Dharma?) version or can the plugins be used standalone.

Your help, as always appreciated.

Jusr for information purposes XBMC reports my version at XBMC PRE-11.0 Git.unknown (Compiled: Apr 18 2011)

- bas.t - 2011-04-22

So I did build xbmc and I am running it from within gdb.
Now it locks up and I type
Code:
ctrl+z
thread apply all bt
but nothing happens

How do I proceed?

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-22

danz0l Wrote:Hi Guys, after trying out the PVR branch for a little while i am forced, albeit begrudgingly, to revert back to more stable dharma build as XBMC keeps hanging (blank screen) on the builds i've tried which is causing my wife considerable stress. It works perfect but seems to do this when left idle for sometime. We have woken every morning to a non functional xbmc although the system itself is still stable (as is tvheadend).
noticed that bug too two times. not sure about the cause yet. could you create a ticket on trac for this issue and attach a full debug log to it. thanks.

Quote:1, How to i revert back to a more stable branch of XBMC (Dharma??) after following the guide on the first page.
the dharma build is much less stable and outdated, but it's your choice ofc. I don't provide prebuilt packages nor support on it anymore, so you'll have to build it from source yourself. The sources can be found on my github fork, the xbmc-antiquated branch.

Quote:2. Is there a more stable (Dharma?) version or can the plugins be used standalone.
no and no

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-22

bas.t Wrote:So I did build xbmc and I am running it from within gdb.
Now it locks up and I type
Code:
ctrl+z
thread apply all bt
but nothing happens

How do I proceed?
not responding to SIGSTP then. try SIGINT (ctrl+c)

- danz0l - 2011-04-22

dushmaniac Wrote:noticed that bug too two times. not sure about the cause yet. could you create a ticket on trac for this issue and attach a full debug log to it. thanks.

the dharma build is much less stable and outdated, but it's your choice ofc. I don't provide prebuilt packages nor support on it anymore, so you'll have to build it from source yourself. The sources can be found on my github fork, the xbmc-antiquated branch.

no and no

Just upgraded again to the 19/04/2011 build and will see what happens dushmaniac. Happy to help solve this issue however so will submit a ticket and log, however im not entirely sure what trac is, can you point me to the wheres and i'll handle the rest Smile

- panic_cpu - 2011-04-22

Hi,
Just installed the xbmc-pvr version over xbmc live as well as tvheadend. My tuner is a
Hybrid Pinnacle (330e) dual analog and digital, and drivers used are v4l (git repository).
Using Kaffeine my channel reception is OK. Using command line scan I can create a channels.conf, and using "vlc -dvb:// --dvb-frequency.........." my reception is quite good.

However all my corresponding attempts with tvheadend have failed
The adapter shows up but scannig always fails.The file .hts/tvheadend/dvbmuxes/myadapter/myadapter/myadpater_frequency always shows no signal in the status field. syslog & daemon.log don't seem to help. Have tried multiple combinations of manually adding multiplexes. It's as if the input stream is null.

would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks....

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-23

@panic_cpu
did you set your location and NIT-o Network ID in the tvheadend webui?
have a look at http://www.lonelycoder.com/hts/tvheadend/docs/2_12/index.html for more info about the configuration of tvheadend

- bas.t - 2011-04-23

Since I am apparantly not able to help the dev's to remedy the lockups of xbmc by building it myself and run it from within gdb, I've build xbmc as it was on april 12, commit 262eedec4abf9a5563f8.

I have been running this version for several hours now, and no lockup has occurred yet. I hope it stays that way, I'll let you know.

Code:
git clone -b pvr-ppa git://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git
cd xbmc
git checkout 262eedec4abf9a5563f8
git reset --hard HEAD
git clean -xfd

Obviously someone really f*@#*cked up the code somewhere, I hope I can find the last commit that does not freeze xbmc.
Commit 262eedec4abf9a5563f8 is just a "lucky guess", I'm sure that the lockups appear much later.

Cheers,

Bas.

- danz0l - 2011-04-23

still getting black screen lockups in the latest pre compiled. Got up this morning to find it unresponsive and black screened again. Worse however is now, on several occasions, i've launched programs and got sound and no video and instantly locked out. Have to bring up a bash shell and restart xbmc. Getting very annoying.

How do i remove the nightlies and go back to dharma with the pvr support (i could just use the htsp protocol for now) ? Really dont want to reinstall and hadnt had a lockup in months on dharma.

- panic_cpu - 2011-04-24

Yes I have set the location. As for the network I have made use of the extensive
logging of vlc to find it:
"service_id=3 version=9 current_next=1 ts_id=1 network_id=65330 segment_last_section_number=152 last_table_id=81"
what logging facilities of tvheadend can i make use of?
is the location taken from the /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t directory?
could the channels.conf be used to bypass the scanning procedure?
should I get rid of the this cardHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Sorry for the Denial of Service and thanks.........................

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-24

@bas.t
it's probably not a single commit that broke it. and I got an idea what might be wrong.

@danz0l
there is no dharma-pvr on the ppa anymore. if you want that, you'll have to build it from source. or just wait for the next update. you're testing a development version, so issues like that could occur (although less and less). same goes for dharma-pvr, which may not have locked up xbmc, but it just crashed all the time Smile

@panic_cpu:
Quote:what logging facilities of tvheadend can i make use of?
daemon.log or the console. check the tvheadend website or manual for more info.

- danz0l - 2011-04-24

dushmaniac Wrote:@danz0l
there is no dharma-pvr on the ppa anymore. if you want that, you'll have to build it from source. or just wait for the next update. you're testing a development version, so issues like that could occur (although less and less). same goes for dharma-pvr, which may not have locked up xbmc, but it just crashed all the time Smile

Yes understood mate. What i'm thinking of doing however is reverting back to the latest Dharma xbmc and use the htsp protocol to view my TV. I love the pvr branch but the issues with black screen freezes in the main living room xbmc have my wife complaining on an almost constant basis. So how do I remove the xbmc-pvr version in favour of reverting back to a more stable xbmc (non pvr) dharma ?

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-24

remove xbmc and the ppa apt entry
Code:
apt-get remove xbmc
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lars-opdenkamp-xbmc-pvr-*.list
apt-get update

remove your xbmc db files because they're incompatible
Code:
rm -rf ~/.xbmc/userdata/Database

and install dharma

- danz0l - 2011-04-24

dushmaniac Wrote:remove xbmc and the ppa apt entry
Code:
apt-get remove xbmc
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lars-opdenkamp-xbmc-pvr-*.list
apt-get update

remove your xbmc db files because they're incompatible
Code:
rm -rf ~/.xbmc/userdata/Database

and install dharma

thanks mate, total screwed this up now though after following this. I can't seem to get xbmc-live back and functioning for dharma, what is the procedure for this as i really dont want to install the entire system if possible.

- danz0l - 2011-04-24

ah think i got it, instead of

sudo apt-get install xbmc

it should have been

sudo apt-get install xbmc-live