Kodi Community Forum
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? (/showthread.php?tid=9299)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- Terin - 2009-01-06

I know a lot of people have asked this, but I haven't seen anything related to my idea...

Have you guys at XBMC considered porting it to XNA? Since XNA essentially can be moved to the 360, it seems highly possible. The only thing that you'd have to really worry about, are all of the dependencies... I'm not sure how DLL's import to the 360 -- that would be interesting... Just release it as a media center -- I'm sure plenty of people would pay plenty to use it (something like $10) and then the updates would be included free. Or maybe Microsoft would willingly put it up for sale/DL for free on the developer network. Would make the 360 have more purpose than it already does (I actually don't own a 360, though, but probably would if it were capable of doing this)

Just a thought -- was curious if anyone had ever done any research. I know a bit about the XNA and 360 Developer Network, which lets you write your games... I had imagined that it would also let you publish it to the Marketplace.

XNA may be the best bet for using XBMC on 360.... - quaternio - 2009-03-31

Jezz_X Wrote:Plus like you said its for games not other applications and MS wouldn't let a program like XBMC into their little live club

There are many things on XNA Community Games that are not actually games. I think that it is at least worth considering. I understand that it would take huge rewrites of code, but it seems actually plausible, as opposed to actually modding the 360 to be homebrew-able (which is of course way not possible at this point in time).

I am pretty sure that there are some restrictions on XNA software, but I don't think that such restrictions would completely prohibit a port of some version XBMC, or at least a barebones version of mplayer. If anyone has anything to add this discussion, please do so. I'm interested to see what others think about XBMC on XNA.

Edit: Oh, and there is the whole fact that if you were to publish it to XNA, you would get payed for every download. I honestly believe that tons of people would pay for something that functioned well.

- spiff - 2009-04-01

sure. it's easy. you have to start from scratch as absolutely NOTHING of the xbmc code base will be usable.

- Jezz_X - 2009-04-01

And lets not get into codec rights to actually decode and play certain formats which is half the reason the 360 is limited in what it plays.And if MS were ever to host it they / us would have to pay

- quaternio - 2009-04-05

spiff Wrote:sure. it's easy. you have to start from scratch as absolutely NOTHING of the xbmc code base will be usable.

And sarcasm is like a second language to me, so I'm right there with you. But yeah, that's what I said: huge rewrite, but possible.

Jezz_X Wrote:And lets not get into codec rights to actually decode and play certain formats which is half the reason the 360 is limited in what it plays.And if MS were ever to host it they / us would have to pay

I had actually forgot about codec rights and so forth. If there were something that made such an endeavor impossible, it seems that that would be it. Or at least it would make it impossible to sell.

- topfs2 - 2009-04-05

XNA is officially only C# which is a different language than XBMC is written in, so we are not talking about a "just" huge rewrite, we are talking about a 100% rewrite.

The XBMC sourcecode is open source so whomever wants to do this are free to do so, I doubt ANY of the current developers have the slightest interest in doing it though.

- quaternio - 2009-04-11

Topfs2 Wrote:The XBMC sourcecode is open source so whomever wants to do this are free to do so, I doubt ANY of the current developers have the slightest interest in doing it though.

That's obvious, considering the topic was nestled into the "XBMC on Xbox 360" topic. For the record, I object to the union of these two topics. They may as well have moved it to a subforum called "Things the developers are never going to do, EVER." At least doing that would be a bit more honest. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the efforts that so many people put into the project, but sometimes I think the only reason Admins don't lock topics like this is so that developers have a place to vent and boost their egos. Not that that is a bad thing; I understand it, but it gets old quite as quickly as I am sure people asking if "you've made XBMC for 360 yet" gets old.

Thanks for discouraging me anyway

Xbox 360 and XBMC? - Paulkai - 2009-05-15

Hi Guys

I have now got xbmc on my vista pc, and working fine, how do I get xbmc on my xbox 360, I have google it but no luck

Paul

- nicoli_k - 2009-05-15

you can't. it's only for PC, Mac, Linux and the original Xbox. The xbox 360 hasn't been hacked enough yet. Sure there are ways to change out the dvd drive and use different hard drives, but there's not a way to put homebrew software on it.

xbox 360 - Paulkai - 2009-05-16

Thats a shame, maybe some point in the future

Thanks for the reply

- Dan Dare - 2009-05-16

I'd like to see that myself, but I doubt it given the revamped security model and the fact that is a different platform... that would probably require a complete rewrite with XNA. To be honest I believe most of the weight of XBMC has moved from Xbox towards Linux, so I wouldn't see that coming very soon. That and the fact HD hasn't managed very well in replacing SD, no pressure on that front...

- knite - 2009-05-16

According to this, XBMC has now been ported to PPC.

There is no discussion on the announcement thread regarding how this affects the likelihood of XBMC being ported to the XBOX 360.

I've read all of this thread and searched the forums. If I missed a thread which answers my question, I apologize.

It is my understanding that as of 3/2007 the XBOX 360 supports homebrew on kernel versions 4532 and 4548, and that systems can be downgraded to these kernels.

So, we have an XBOX 360 able to run unsigned code, and we have XBMC available for the PPC architecture. Does this mean XBMC for the XBOX 360 is now a real possibility?

- digitalhigh - 2009-05-16

knite Wrote:According to this, XBMC has now been ported to PPC.

There is no discussion on the announcement thread regarding how this affects the likelihood of XBMC being ported to the XBOX 360.

I've read all of this thread and searched the forums. If I missed a thread which answers my question, I apologize.

It is my understanding that as of 3/2007 the XBOX 360 supports homebrew on kernel versions 4532 and 4548, and that systems can be downgraded to these kernels.

So, we have an XBOX 360 able to run unsigned code, and we have XBMC available for the PPC architecture. Does this mean XBMC for the XBOX 360 is now a real possibility?

The first part is true.

I don't know squat about the differences in the PPC architecture between the MAC and Xbox360, but I'd imagine they're as different as night and day.

"...and while the architecture is well known for being used by Apple's Macintosh lines from 1994 to 2006 (before Apple's transition to Intel), its use in video game consoles and embedded applications far exceed Apple's use."

So, while it is a PPC core, my guess is that what exists now would have to be heavily (if not entirely) modified to get it to go on a 360.

I'd love to see it too...I just highly highly doubt it.

- waldo22 - 2009-05-19

@digitalhigh,

I don't think that's it at all. XBMC should compile and "run" using software rendering on the Xbox 360. (I'm not sure about this.) It would be pretty awful, though.

I think that the issue is that there isn't currently a way to get access to ATI's Xenos graphics chip for OpenGL acceleration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_(graphics_chip)

If we had readily-available Linux drivers for that chip with full OpenGL support, maybe it would work.

Otherwise, we'd have to port to XNA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

and that will happen when pigs fly.

(although recently "swine flu")

-Wes

Can I now install XBMC on Xbox360? - djni - 2009-05-25

Hi !
I have one question .How to install xbmc on my xbox 360 Huh?