Kodi Community Forum
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? (/showthread.php?tid=9299)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- natethomas - 2010-01-13

The XBMC team has a pretty specific stance on this subject. Lonesouth, you are absolutely correct. There is a very good chance that someone will come up with an awesome homebrew method for watching videos on the 360. It's just that that someone won't be the XBMC team.

- swuu - 2010-01-14

ummm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCZJNFV8nI

I dont know if they ever got sound working on ubuntu, but it doesnt look like a whole lot of effort when into make this work. Perhaps a bootloader that runs just enuf of linux to get xbmc working and some drivers for joysticks and remotes and PRESTO! Of course it would not run as native as it did on the orig xbox and we have to deal with some sort of loading but if the sound, joystick or remote works I would use it the way it is now. Guess the hardest part would be making some kind of graphics library and such

- BORIStheBLADE - 2010-01-14

swuu Wrote:ummm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCZJNFV8nI

I dont know if they ever got sound working on ubuntu, but it doesnt look like a whole lot of effort when into make this work. Perhaps a bootloader that runs just enuf of linux to get xbmc working and some drivers for joysticks and remotes and PRESTO! Of course it would not run as native as it did on the orig xbox and we have to deal with some sort of loading but if the sound, joystick or remote works I would use it the way it is now. Guess the hardest part would be making some kind of graphics drivers and such

Pretty impressive.

- paul - 2010-01-14

BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Pretty impressive.
You call that impressive... 3mins in total to get it running that's crap and not in full screen and from what i could see it ran pig slow. A huge waste of time and effort if you ask me. I will stick with my windows pc as it cost less than a xbox360 and is quieterNod

- WeakATV - 2010-01-14

paul Wrote:You call that impressive... 3mins in total to get it running that's crap and not in full screen and from what i could see it ran pig slow. A huge waste of time and effort if you ask me. I will stick with my windows pc as it cost less than a xbox360 and is quieterNod

I think it's impressive. Huge waste of time and effort? If it weren't for people like this you would be using a Tivo right now - actually not even as it's based on Linux. You would be using Windows media center. Nod

- natethomas - 2010-01-14

WeakATV Wrote:I think it's impressive. Huge waste of time and effort? If it weren't for people like this you would be using a Tivo right now - actually not even as it's based on Linux. You would be using Windows media center. Nod

Oooh! Noob calling out the long time resident Paul! Exciting! And.... we're movin this thread! Big Grin

- BORIStheBLADE - 2010-01-14

paul Wrote:You call that impressive... 3mins in total to get it running that's crap and not in full screen and from what i could see it ran pig slow. A huge waste of time and effort if you ask me. I will stick with my windows pc as it cost less than a xbox360 and is quieterNod

I agree to an extent. It is slow as hell, but it booted off a disc right?

I'm just impressed that that linux and xbmc are running. I would probably never do this to my 360 since its not the quietest option.

- paul - 2010-01-14

WeakATV Wrote:I think it's impressive. Huge waste of time and effort? If it weren't for people like this you would be using a Tivo right now - actually not even as it's based on Linux. You would be using Windows media center. Nod
I would never use anything that uses linux as thats total bloatwareEek

natethomas Wrote:Oooh! Noob calling out the long time resident Paul! Exciting! And.... we're movin this thread! Big Grin
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and does not become you:p

- WeakATV - 2010-01-14

paul Wrote:I would never use anything that uses linux as thats total bloatwareEek

Rofl

1) According to netcraft, you used Linux when posting your comment.
2) Linux is far from bloated, especially when compared to Windows.

Disclaimer; I use OSX

- natethomas - 2010-01-15

paul Wrote:Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and does not become you:p

I was thinking about going with "I can't believe this, but I actually completely agree with Paul," but I just couldn't do it. So I went with sarcasm instead. On a positive note, I like to use all forms of humor, so I'm pretty happy with the decision.

- paul - 2010-01-15

WeakATV Wrote:Rofl

1) According to netcraft, you used Linux when posting your comment.
2) Linux is far from bloated, especially when compared to Windows.

Disclaimer; I use OSX

Oh we have a smart arse which is typical of the majority of OSX users(Though they Have a right to be As osx is the best)
And i meant i would never use Linux or whatever stupid name there currently using for it
because it's shovelwareEek

natethomas Wrote:I was thinking about going with "I can't believe this, but I actually completely agree with Paul," but I just couldn't do it. So I went with sarcasm instead. On a positive note, I like to use all forms of humor, so I'm pretty happy with the decision.

I must be getting old as i seem to find myself more and more agreeing with the devs even spiff at times(sorry mate).Smile

- snwww - 2010-01-15

paul Wrote:Oh we have a smart arse which is typical of the majority of OSX users(Though they Have a right to be As osx is the best)
And i meant i would never use Linux or whatever stupid name there currently using for it
because it's shovelwareEek

I must be getting old as i seem to find myself more and more agreeing with the devs even spiff at times(sorry mate).Smile

Mmmm, sorry I just HAD to register, to see such a fool. You do realise where XBMC comes from right ? The X stands for Xbox, the original development comes from it. And guess what ? At one point it was pretty freaking slow on it and it didn't have any usefulness. You really should stick your head out of your ass to realise that the xbox 360 is a mainstream platform and that its capability to be hacked renders it even more useful. Anyway, it is impressive, and I highly doubt you can get an equivalent to the 360's power for less. Plus, if your budget did bother you that much, why even bother building a computer, just grab an old one for 50$ and buy a PCI video card with hardware acceleration.

And a last comment, you obviously never used linux and you should look around and note that a huge amount of HTPC's software comes from linux, and also note that the majority of these software are considered the best around the overall HTPC community.

- Dan Dare - 2010-01-15

Xbox 360 being a mainstream platform doesn't make it more attractive for developers, probably the other way around. If I recall correctly, the only way to stream media to Xbox was to buy Microsoft Extender, where with Xbox 360 is much easier now, so one could wonder what is the point in that? Not to mentioned that X360 is a much more complex platform than old Xbox and the drive to hack it and develop for it just isn't there. It's much easier to developer for Windows or Linux, so lets just close the thread and move on - think of why someone would spend countless hours and huge amounts of frustration to build something for free, for what? fame? 90% of users that will just bitch about it? not worth it if you ask me...

- snwww - 2010-01-15

I agree with you, being hard to develop for. But to say things as paul said is where the problem lies; "its useless, Id rather do X". Don't even bother posting if thats the type of stuff you're gonna say. And whether you like it or not, there is gonna be an XBMC port, people over the xbox scene are looking forward to it and it will come, rest assured. It might not be the same as what's going on for Windows or Linux atm, but a group will eventually come out with a working port.

The fact that its mainstream makes it more accessible for alot of people. When the hack will become more popular, which Im guessing it will, far more people will be able to help out, alot more experienced people and that means more dev.

Thinking the way you guys do makes it harder for others. Why do that if X can do it ? Why hack the original xbox for emulators while you have the original consoles that can do it. Its generally much more useful to emulate, same applies to the xbox 360 and having XBMC instead of its original media platform. There's so much more than what is proposed by it.

Quote:It's much easier to developer for Windows or Linux, so lets just close the thread and move on

... Thats a close-minded way to think, the original xbox brought many things including XBMC, and guess what, it was way easier coding for windows or linux at that time. It brought something new.

- spiff - 2010-01-15

yes. it brought cheap affordable hw suitable for a htpc at that time.
now however, hw has evolved. you get affordable settop computers which fit perfect under your tv, and look good doing it, right off-the-shelf. you did not back in the early days of the xbox - it was the right hw at the right time, which made it worth the hassle developing for. the 360 has nothing on settop's these days, is not particularly cheap, is noisy and has the hassle attached. the only thing it has going for it is a large installment base - but let's face it, those who have one are usually wasting their time playing games rather than learning how to make a computer do something useful.

this is obviously just my view of things.