Kodi Community Forum
DTS audio output on stereo setup. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: DTS audio output on stereo setup. (/showthread.php?tid=93721)

Pages: 1 2

DTS audio output on stereo setup. - jumpcuts - 2011-02-09

Hello,

I'm trying to play a .mkv that as DTS audio on a stereo television w/o a AC3/DTS receiver. I'm only getting 2 channels out... They don't seem to get mixed down like they are on the ATV1 with the same setup.

Is this a know issue, or am I missing something?

Thanks for your time.

- johnsea - 2011-02-09

I was just about to ask something similar (or the same, not sure). When I play files which are more than stereo, they don't come right out of stereo speakers. I seem to have a rear channel on my left speaker and the right one seems right. Is there a fix for this?

Other than that, I am having zero issues with the latest official release, and am loving it, thanks davila and everyone else!

- MultiMink - 2011-02-09

It's a known issue, I'm waiting for the fix as well.
Cross your fingers and cheer for the team! Smile

- ddingle - 2011-02-09

Yes, I'm rooting for the team also. Incredible work they're doing!! The surround audio static/strange stereo mixing is the only thing that's keeping me from making this my main system over my ATV1/Crystalbuntu. I hoping this either gets fixed or the RC6 greenpoison untethered update to 4.2.1 takes care of it.

- MultiMink - 2011-02-09

Hehe, same here ddingle. I'm actually using it all the time on stereo sources, just because I love using it on ATV2Tongue
But have to launch XBMC on the main Win7 computer for the surround movies.. for now.

I doubt the jailbreak will fix anything, though. Unless it does some weird reassigning of surround channels... which would be.. weird.

- ddingle - 2011-02-10

MultiMink Wrote:I doubt the jailbreak will fix anything, though. Unless it does some weird reassigning of surround channels... which would be.. weird.

Yeah, dunno. It just seems that people that are having surround success tend to be tethered/updated/HDMI folks, which leads me to believe that maybe Apple updated some optical audio something-or-other in one of their updates. I'm on the original 4.0 firmware as shipped with the first ATV2s. Time will tell. Nod

- davilla - 2011-02-10

ddingle Wrote:Yeah, dunno. It just seems that people that are having surround success tend to be tethered/updated/HDMI folks, which leads me to believe that maybe Apple updated some optical audio something-or-other in one of their updates. I'm on the original 4.0 firmware as shipped with the first ATV2s. Time will tell. Nod

Yes, there were changes in audio handling from 4.1 to 4.2.1

- keith - 2011-02-10

ddingle Wrote:Yeah, dunno. It just seems that people that are having surround success tend to be tethered/updated/HDMI folks, which leads me to believe that maybe Apple updated some optical audio something-or-other in one of their updates. I'm on the original 4.0 firmware as shipped with the first ATV2s. Time will tell. Nod

I'm doing HDMI audio and it works great.

I will try to find time to make a thread that goes over all the ac3/dts problems/solutions so people stop starting their own threads for the same known issue.

Same Issues as prev mentioned - djeroc - 2011-02-10

johnsea Wrote:I was just about to ask something similar (or the same, not sure). When I play files which are more than stereo, they don't come right out of stereo speakers. I seem to have a rear channel on my left speaker and the right one seems right. Is there a fix for this?

Other than that, I am having zero issues with the latest official release, and am loving it, thanks davila and everyone else!

Same issues here as well I have fiddled with the audio settings to no avail. Appreciate all the hard work put into the project and I am really enjoying my appletv thanks to the devs.

- Muskyinoz - 2011-02-10

I'm having the downmixing error on a tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak with my ATV plugged straight into my tv, no amp.

- keith - 2011-02-10

Muskyinoz Wrote:I'm having the downmixing error on a tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak with my ATV plugged straight into my tv, no amp.

How is it plugged in? HDMI and audio too or via an optical cable?

This stuff is important.

- MultiMink - 2011-02-10

keith Wrote:How is it plugged in? HDMI and audio too or via an optical cable?

This stuff is important.

It's not, actually Tongue
The downmixing issue is also present on the iPad (and on the iPhone too I would venture, although I haven't tested), which isn't know for it's plethora of connection options. Tongue

It's present whenever downmix is active - that is - on all surround sources, in combination with configuring non-surround speaker settings in XBMC. For those fortunate people with surround receiver - OR - the rare TV that actually can decode surround audio (do they exist?), it's not an issue. (Granted, there are challenges with passthrough + HDMI/optical selection in menus etc, but that's not important to the issue at hand).

I would split the audio issues into two:

* Downmix issue. People with non-surround equipment, relying on the downmix feature to output stereo sound to their system.
* AC3/DTS passthrough issues. Don't have first-hand experience with these, but have read about the issue noted above (HDMI/optical selection in menus), plus some other stuff.

- Muskyinoz - 2011-02-10

keith Wrote:How is it plugged in? HDMI and audio too or via an optical cable?

This stuff is important.

HDMI for video and audio, I've gone through every possible combination of audio settings and doesn't fix it.

Setup - djeroc - 2011-02-12

HDMI Audio & Video .. apologies. I have also run through the audio options.

- r6danl - 2011-02-12

Works for me with Optical Cable. I enabled the settings in guisettings.xml in a previous build. Running 4 Feb version.