Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

- eskro - 2011-08-05

nope

- WhiteLighter - 2011-08-10

Hi all,

I really enjoyed this guide. It really helps a lot on deciding on what one would need ^_^ I know that the guide is current as of July 2011. I was running xbmc on my main computer (work/gaming computer) and everything works great. But since my parents and younger brother moved-in 2 months ago, I've been sharing my computer with them. I now have decided to build a new HTPC for them to use so that I can have my computer back :p While browsing, I noticed the nvidia GT520 which is cheaper than the recommended GT430 for 3D 1080p. Will the GT520 be a better choice than the GT430? What will be the pros and cons for each? Thanks

- eskro - 2011-08-10

not much to say,,,,
GT430 will be like $10 more only,,,
And will perform better with 1080i/Live HDTV content...

But for 1080P, both cards are perfect....

and the GT520 can be FanLess Low Profile,,,

Ghetto NAS Question - jasmill1969 - 2011-08-12

nevermind, will make a new post.

- emal011 - 2011-08-12

Hey man,

i'm trying to build my own HTPC, and just need a case, look what i have:

* AMD Athlon X2 6000
* Asus M2N Picture
* Nvidia GT8800 512Mb Picture
* Creative SB Titanium Picture

My problem is, that i want a case the more smaller possible. All have to be inside, plus i thinking to put a Kinstong SSD 16Gb + 2Tb 3.5Zoll Hardisk's and maybe a DVD or Bluray Player.

After read ur post i see a Silverstone Case , thinks that could be enough?

- Superorb - 2011-08-12

emal011 Wrote:Hey man,

i'm trying to build my own HTPC, and just need a case, look what i have:

* AMD Athlon X2 6000
* Asus M2N Picture
* Nvidia GT8800 512Mb Picture
* Creative SB Titanium Picture

My problem is, that i want a case the more smaller possible. All have to be inside, plus i thinking to put a Kinstong SSD 16Gb + 2Tb 3.5Zoll Hardisk's and maybe a DVD or Bluray Player.

After read ur post i see a Silverstone Case , thinks that could be enough?
If you want a small case the only way to do that is with an ITX setup.

- emal011 - 2011-08-12

well, when i say small, i mean smaller than this. And whhat do u think about the Silverstone case? A simple one, no LCD screen, just a minimalistic case.

- bluray - 2011-08-13

emal011 Wrote:well, when i say small, i mean smaller than this. And whhat do u think about the Silverstone case? A simple one, no LCD screen, just a minimalistic case.
here are your choices- atx htpc case

- Mackster - 2011-08-19

Thanks so much for this guide.

I ended up putting together an HTPC from the items listed here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=797987&postcount=2

[MOBO+CPU+iGPU] ASRock E350M1 Zacate Dual-Core 1.6Ghz HD6310 ALC892 Mini-ITX
[CASE+PSU] Apex MI-008 Black mini-ITX 250W
[FAN] SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm 800RPM 38CFM 9dBA
[SSD] Kingston SSDNow 30GB 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:180MB/s Write:50MB/s
[RAM] 2x CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1333

I also added a USB Wifi adapter, a blue-ray player, an IR Remote, and an external USB hard drive.

It's running Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.

Everything works perfectly fine, including blue ray movies, and HD content, except for HD netflix. Netflix works fine in SD, but when it switches to HD it really stutters and drops to about 1 frame a second. It's not a network issue as the video is fully cached. I also tried running netflix directly in a browser, and shut down XBMC, but the problem still occurs.

All MB and video drivers are up to date, as well as all windows updates.

Is there something specific I should configure or setup in this build to address this issue?

- bluray - 2011-08-20

Mackster- that is almost identical to what i built for my theater room. i don't have any problem with hd netflix.

in catalyst control center, go to video settings and video playback, you can set it to enforce smooth video playback. in xbmc playback settings, set it to allow hardware acceleration (dxva2) and sync playback to display.

- eskro - 2011-08-20

very nice build u got there Mackster!

Do as bluray suggested

and make sure you have the latest ADOBE FLASH PLAYER version,,

~peace~

- Mackster - 2011-08-21

Thanks for the advise.

I did already have the catalyst setting enabled.

Doesn't netflix only use silverlight now? I did make sure I have the latest version of Silverlight.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling every AMD/ATI driver, just incase someting was wrong there.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

- eskro - 2011-08-21

yes your right about NetFlix Tongue

i wrote too fast Smile

- Superorb - 2011-08-21

So I built an ITX i3-2100 setup to be my main PC, and without a video card the thing uses 25watts at idle with an inefficient PSU. My 330 ION Giada cube takes 24watts at idle, and it's weak as hell compared to the i3. If I'd known that I'd have just built another i3.

Noise? - ruant - 2011-08-23

What the noise level on the fan on ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile?