Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

- Urhos - 2011-10-26

Superorb Wrote:There should be a setting in the BIOS to set which device should output video. It will be under the northbridge settings and integrated video.

Thanks for the reply. The only problem is that I cannot even see the bios when the vga cable is plugged into either device. Nothing shows up on my tv screen when I turn the PC on. Sad

- eskro - 2011-10-26

Alexandercarls Wrote:Hey Eskro, I know you are a fan of the ND22 as mentioned in other threads... I really like the NANO form factor, will the AD10 (ZBOXNANO-AD10-PLUS-U) work as well? It's an AMD processor instead of the Celeron... Also, what about this MOBO?

http://www.zotacusa.com/intel-celeron-su2300-mini-itx-ionitx-p-e.html

That looks like pretty much the ND22 without a case?

ANd lastly, do you know if Zotac products can be configured to boot from the card reader so that I can run Live off of an SD card?

Thanks Smile

the zotac nano is good, but remember,
you might not find xbmc's interface super snappy when using heavy skins.

- eskro - 2011-10-26

Urhos Wrote:Thanks for the reply. The only problem is that I cannot even see the bios when the vga cable is plugged into either device. Nothing shows up on my tv screen when I turn the PC on. Sad

usually Clear/Reset CMOS is the fix,,,
check in your mobo manual,
it should say how to do so...
its nothing dangerous,,,
dont worry

- Superorb - 2011-10-26

Urhos Wrote:Thanks for the reply. The only problem is that I cannot even see the bios when the vga cable is plugged into either device. Nothing shows up on my tv screen when I turn the PC on. Sad
Do you have a known good PC monitor that you can connect? Also try different connections as well like VGA or DVI vs. HDMI only.

- Urhos - 2011-10-26

eskro Wrote:usually Clear/Reset CMOS is the fix,,,
check in your mobo manual,
it should say how to do so...
its nothing dangerous,,,
dont worry

Thank you for the suggestion. I just attempted to Clear/Reset the CMOS by removing the mobo battery and "shorting" the CMOS reset pins as the manual suggested. These two methods did not fix the problem unfortunately.

- Superorb - 2011-10-26

Urhos Wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. I just attempted to Clear/Reset the CMOS by removing the mobo battery and "shorting" the CMOS reset pins as the manual suggested. These two methods did not fix the problem unfortunately.
Remove the video card and only use the motherboard video out connections. Try something besides your TV.

- WhiteLighter - 2011-10-26

Urhos Wrote:Hi. I bought the parts for the first configuration and I assembled it correctly to my knowledge. When I power it on the front LED light and the fans turn on. However, there is no video output. I checked to make sure that the video card is fully inserted and it is. I am trying VGA output to my tv from the motherboard itself and the video card. Any ideas? I can send pictures if that makes things easier. Just let me know. Thanks for all of the help!

as to what I understand, your MoBo has a vga out? try disconnecting the video card first and try displaying from there. When you get to display it, connect the video card and go into bios setting and do the changes needed to disable the onboard video and use the video card.

- Urhos - 2011-10-26

Thanks for the help again guys. I tried an actual computer monitor and I got the same results. My mobo does have a vga out and so does the video card of course. Neither one will work with any output. I'll try taking the video card out and just use the mobo vga out....

- Urhos - 2011-10-26

I tried to boot the computer without the video card and I got the same result once again. I tried resetting the CMOS again after removing the video card as well and it didn't help. I know that I bought everything from the list and also a Kingston 32 gb SSD and 2x2 gb pny ram. The motherboard is connected to the power supply as are the SSD and the fan. The power connections were done correctly as far as I know. Any other ideas? Confused

- Superorb - 2011-10-26

Does the PSU fan and the CPU fan spin up when turned on? Do you have a speaker connected? Does it make any beeps?

- WhiteLighter - 2011-10-26

does it produce any sounds/beep when you try to start it? if it does, you may want to compare it on this list and see what's the problem.

- Urhos - 2011-10-27

Superorb Wrote:Does the PSU fan and the CPU fan spin up when turned on? Do you have a speaker connected? Does it make any beeps?

The PSU and CPU fans don't spin at all until I press the power button. The case came with a small internal speaker that connects with 4 pins, but I don't see a place on the mobo to connect it. I'm using this mobo: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-H67NUSB

- bluray - 2011-10-27

sorry to read your post!

you could have tried everything outside the case before assemble it. in case something is doa, it'll save you a lot of time. i built all my htpc's this way, and i found one bad mobo one time this way.

if you're interesting to find out how for your next build, here is a great hd video from our friend at newegg- (Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build) and (Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches)

- Superorb - 2011-10-27

That board has some terrible reviews on newegg.

I went through the manual and no mention of speaker connection. Is there an embedded speaker? My Gigabyte board has an embedded speaker.

- Urhos - 2011-10-27

Superorb Wrote:That board has some terrible reviews on newegg.

I went through the manual and no mention of speaker connection. Is there an embedded speaker? My Gigabyte board has an embedded speaker.

Ah. I see. I bought it because it was previously suggested as the one to use in the tutorial on here for the micro case. I see no mention of an embedded speaker in the user manual.

EDIT: However, in the FAQ in the manual, there is a guide on the beeps emitted during the POST. I hear no beeps when I power on the computer.