Kodi Community Forum
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)

- eskro - 2011-11-18

perfect then!

- kyleshay - 2011-11-18

should update your text
",,Relevant as of September 2011,," to november Tongue

- nige106 - 2011-11-18

I've been turned by XBMC after trialing it on my laptop, so rather than buying a media streamer I'm reverting back to a HTPC. I'm baseing it around an A8-3850, my only concern is seeing posts regarding HD audio. Can this be passed through to my amp using HDMI, this CPU and XBMC?

Media Center Extender - 1gr8ftoy - 2011-11-18

I would like to setup the HTPC that I plan on building with a 4 tuner tv tuner... I currently have 2 ATV2's and that is how I use XBMC. Is there currently a way to use XBMC to watch Media Center recorded videos? As a Media Center Extender client?

- bluray - 2011-11-18

nige106 Wrote:I've been turned by XBMC after trialing it on my laptop, so rather than buying a media streamer I'm reverting back to a HTPC. I'm baseing it around an A8-3850, my only concern is seeing posts regarding HD audio. Can this be passed through to my amp using HDMI, this CPU and XBMC?
with htpc, you'll have more control and more freedom than media streamer. most media streamers on the market are over promised and under delivered. i tested and tried almost 10 media players, and none of them meet my needs.

here is info on a8-3850 "Great Gift (AMD A8-3850)" and here is how to pass-through "blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd".

- nige106 - 2011-11-18

Thanks for the quick reply. Just noticed the link is also in your sig as well.

Does that work around allow for playback from a mkv as well as actual bluray disc?

Also do I need a a seperate gpu if i'm not gaming on the HTPC, I've been researching about the dual part of the AMD chip.

- bluray - 2011-11-18

nige106 Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Just noticed the link is also in your sig as well.

Does that work around allow for playback from a mkv as well as actual bluray disc?
yes, this guide (blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd) will allow you to playback bd iso/m2ts/mkv and index.bdmv directly on bd-rom in full 1080p with dts-hd and truehd audio. some had great success with it, and some are not so lucky with it though. you can give it a shot!

nige106 Wrote:Also do I need a a seperate gpu if i'm not gaming on the HTPC, I've been researching about the dual part of the AMD chip.
amd a8-3850 is the best all-in-one (cpu+igpu) on the market. the hd6550d is equivalent to amd hd6570 discrete gpu, which is better than nvidia gt430. since i started this thread "Great Gift (AMD A8-3850)", there several guys in here had successfully built a8-3850 htpc. they are very happy with it.

- ghart999 - 2011-11-18

Never Mind.

- eskro - 2011-11-18

kyleshay Wrote:should update your text
",,Relevant as of September 2011,," to november Tongue

Nice catch! thx

- crashnburn - 2011-11-21

How and where and which group does this one stand?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/CompuLab-Fit-PC3-AMD-Bobcat-APU,14036.html#xtor=RSS-998

- eskro - 2011-11-21

typical AMD ZACATA PLatForm...
if you choose the one that had the HD6310 video or higher,
you'll fit in GROUP#6

- shadowoflight08 - 2011-11-22

Awesome work guys, and major props eskro, your information here is invaluable. I'm looking at setting up a HTPC to go along with my FreeNas box, and your builds are just what I'm searching for. I just have a quick question:

How is the AMD A6-3600 expected to preform in an Ubuntu environment? I've read some mixed reviews, so I was wondering if you had any info regarding an A6 build with Linux, or XBMC Live. Any problems regarding the integrated graphics chipset?

Thanks!

- bluray - 2011-11-22

shadowoflight08 Wrote:your information here is invaluable.
:confused2:

shadowoflight08 Wrote:How is the AMD A6-3600 expected to preform in an Ubuntu environment? I've read some mixed reviews, so I was wondering if you had any info regarding an A6 build with Linux, or XBMC Live. Any problems regarding the integrated graphics chipset?

Thanks!
the amd hd6530d in a6 is equivalent to amd hd6450, and it'll playback everything in windows 7 environment. it might be tough to setup in linux though. you might need nvidia gt430 or gt520.

- shadowoflight08 - 2011-11-22

Well, maybe "invaluable" might be a hyperbole, but merely just thanking eskro and everyone else on this thread for their knowledge and input. Laugh

Thanks for the suggestion bluray, I'll look into it. At the moment, I'd like to focus in on a Linux build, but I won't be putting it together till after the holidays, so I'll see how the support for the AMD-A series is looking after then

- bluray - 2011-11-22

shadowoflight08 Wrote:Well, maybe "invaluable" might be a hyperbole, but merely just thanking eskro and everyone else on this thread for their knowledge and input. Laugh
Blush- i meant to click this smilie- Nod!