Kodi Community Forum
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) (/showthread.php?tid=94268)

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - brijay - 2015-10-12

(2015-10-12, 01:55)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-10-11, 18:02)brijay Wrote: Difference between the m8 and m8s ? which one is better
Anyone help please
- M8 has a AMLogic S802
- M8S has a AMLogic S812

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/amlogic-stb-socs-comparison-aml8726-mx-s802-s805-and-s812/

Both are likely "Fully Loaded" with a whole bunch of illegal add ons that will get no support from users here on the Kodi forum.
Both will have rubbish firmware and Hardware reliability will be questionable.
I would only buy one of these boxes to wipe Android and put OpenELEC on it, but even than there are better boxes around.

Proper Firmware and after sales support is the most important consideration when buying a Android / Kodi box.
You get what you pay for in the Android marketspace.

NVIDIA, MINIX and WeTek are the guys that will give you decent Android Firmware to run Kodi.

Ok thanks for your help!

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - Huberer - 2015-10-13

Quote:This is still dominated by Nvidia+Linux (or Windows 7+AMD) in my opinion. But the difference between the best and a Chromebox is slight. You will need to build a custom rig, preferably with a GT 630 V2 GPU (aka the best HTPC GPU ever) or better to even make it worthwhile.

This is written in the first post here. Unfortunately the GT630 v2 isn't available anymore.
Which GPU can be used as follower for the "[The "I Want The BEST Kodi Experience Possible. Period. And I Demand it Be Future Proof!" Category]"

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Huberer

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - fritsch - 2015-10-13

None ... all "low cost" nvidia GPUs cannot decode HEVC on hardware and therefore are not future proof ... so save your pennies. Buying a GTX 980 / 960 just for a htpc is fully overkill.

Buy the lowest cost GPU that can decode your content now (!) and exchange it in a year. What about a GT 720? http://geizhals.de/asus-gt720-sl-1gd3-brk-90yv072a-m0na00-a1173911.html (compare the stream processors to a GT 630).

Thanks for the info.
You're right a GTX980 / 960 is really an overkill for a htpc. For my content an Intel hd4000/hd4600 is enough but I also plan to play BluRay-Iso's with a very good video quality.
A GT720 may be good choice but also good like a GT630 mentioned in the first thread here?
I don't plan to go the 4k-way. For me just a marketing gag nothing more. Maybe in 10 years we can talk about it.

@fritsch:
I read some posts from you where you recommend GT610. On ebay I can found many of them (used ones). Would this card also be a good choice (for good video quality) and if yes which producer you can recommend (Asus or Zotac or...)?

Thanks in advance

Huberer

Quote:You're right a GTX980 / 960 is really an overkill for a htpc. For my content an Intel hd4000/hd4600 is enough but I also plan to play BluRay-Iso's with a very good video quality.
Blurays can be smoked in your pipe ... Intel hw is by far enough to decode / render / postprocess 1080p24 content ... even a Raspberry Pi2 is enough for that.

I recommended the GT 610 some years ago - but 720 is one step superior again. Hd4600 is fine for everything video related ...

Thanks, than I will go for a passiv cooled GT720

Perhaps there was a language barrier: Intel HD4600 is far enough for every bluray raw content you have - no need for a GT 720.

Ok, thanks. I see but for Linux the support for nvidia is better than for Intel. As long as I know from some readings months ago. That's why I want go the nvidia way

(2015-10-13, 22:24)Huberer Wrote: Ok, thanks. I see but for Linux the support for nvidia is better than for Intel. As long as I know from some readings months ago. That's why I want go the nvidia way

Also not true anymore. Intel is perfectly supported.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - noggin - 2015-10-13

Yep - Intel has excellent support in Linux now. Few limitations remain with Intel to do with VC-1 Interlaced (not an issue for many, but can be for some Blu-rays of TV or concerts), and potentially nVidia deinterlacing a bit better (more frames available for temporal/spatial deinterlace on nVidia?) ? On the other hand Intel looks to be getting HEVC decode ahead of nVidia at the lower end?

Thanks for the info. I guess I will stick with nvidia

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - noggin - 2015-10-13

Spotted typo in my previous post. Now edited. Intel likely to be ahead of nVidia with HEVC support in Linux.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - fritsch - 2015-10-14

(2015-10-13, 23:17)noggin Wrote: Spotted typo in my previous post. Now edited. Intel likely to be ahead of nVidia with HEVC support in Linux.
Braswell and skylake do hevc on Intel side. For nvidia you need a gtx 960/980 which have more tdp than Intel board + CPU :-)

Most Intel he is fast enough for vc1 interlaced on CPU.

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - gredawarha - 2015-10-14

(2015-08-07, 16:57)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-08-07, 14:45)tredman Wrote: Pretty much any kodi client will be good for TV viewing, I would steer clear of android kodi if you use just kodi and live TV. RPi2 makes a very good cheap option for second and third TV viewing.
Simply not true.
Android devices using an AMlogic S802/805/812 SoC's have very good Broadcast TV deinterlacing, quite a bit better than an RPi2. Especially those devices from MINIX and HardKernel.

The $35, AMlogic S805 ODROID-C1 I'm currently using, running OpenELEC / Kodi 15.1 RC is noticeably quicker than my RPi2. The output video picture quality is definitely superior as well.
So good, I've actually switched camps and now use the C1 for all my 1080p HEVC / Kodi needs and TV viewing. I watch a lot of 1080p fast action Aussie Rules Football. Its superb TV viewing for the price paid.
(I recommend you read my Signature below for a RPi2 vs C1 comparison)

The NVIDIA Shield, IMHO is not at all ready for the Kodi main stage in its present incarnation. Yes its "Pretty" and fast but lacks even basic Movie viewing features like 23.976/59.94Hz video output for the $$ you pay.

You would only buy an Amazon Fire Stick/TV if you needed HD video streaming services and can put up with 3:2 pulldown video judder. Definitely not for any sort of deinterlacing of broadcast TV.

@wrxtasy what tuner are you using in your Odroid C1? I am contemplating whether I can find and afford a UK compatible DVB-S tuner.

Thanks

RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015) - wrxtasy - 2015-10-14

DVB-T here in the Land Down Under, and for that I use an old Dual Tuner PlayTV usb (dib0700).

The Nice guys at WeTek even have a video of how to setup TvHeadend in OpenELEC and scan DVB-S channels:
http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-play/linux/openelec/tutorials-aa/474-video-how-to-install-tvheadend-and-scan-dvb-s-s2-channels

Noggin will be able to point you in the right direction for DVB-S tuners for the UK, he's an encyclopaedia when it comes to TV Stuff ! Wink