Kodi Community Forum
Finally, the waiting is Over!! Here's my HTPC!! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Finally, the waiting is Over!! Here's my HTPC!! (/showthread.php?tid=96489)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- eskro - 2011-05-13

Vogelsong Wrote:Ok so after reading a lot of stuff about your build and anothers. It sounds like your running the OS and XBMC on the SSD and storing the media on the HD.

Is this essential for a fast system?

uhm, its not only about that...
its really not recommended to run your OS and store your Media on the same drive...
yes even tho you can partition the drive in 2, it doesnt matter,,,
its not recommended...
when you fill your 2TB drive with stuff, what will you do?

the idea is always the same,,,
have a single central storage place (aka NAS) for all your media
that would feed all HTPC's around your house!!

but since i was running out of money,
i couldnt buy both a HTPC + NAS at the same time,,
but i still needed a hard drive to start storing my movies on it...
so thats why i bought an SSD just for my OS + XBMC
and bought a seperate Hard Drive to hold my movies till i make more money
to spend on a dedicated NAS...
so that 2TB hard drive will be moved into my NAS eventually,,,

so yeah, thats the idea Tongue

- indiejones - 2011-05-20

eskro Wrote:Image
[CPU+HSF] AMD Athlon X3 2.9GHz Triple-Core AM3 95W
[MOBO] Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 Micro-ATX
[GPU] ASUS GT210 512MB DDR2 64-bit Low Profile Silent
[RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1333 CL7
[SSD] Corsair Nova 2.5" 32GB SATAII Trim Read:195MB/s Write:70MB/s
[CASE+PSU] Antec microFusionRemote 350W 80+ Certified Micro-ATX
[HDD] WD20EARS 2TB SATAII 5400RPM
[WiFi] ASUS PCE-N31 IEEE 802.11b/g/n2 PCIe 300Mbps 128-Bit WPA2
[KEYBOARD] Rii Mini RF 2.4Ghz
[MOUSE] Gyration Air GO Plus RF 2.4Ghz

Hi Eskro

I've got a Popcorn Hour C-200 and I'm looking to upgrade to my first HTPC (strictly films & Music/Pictures, Youtube iPlayers etc...)

I would like it to be able to do high bit rate BluRay's converted to MKV's and to be able to run full XBMC with AEON skin smoothly, my OS will be Win7 preferably this Windows Tiny7 I keep hearing about on here

on the basis of your setup I was hoping not to use a graphics card but use a AMD Phenom II x2 560 to do both CPU/GPU, I've chosen the Gigabyte MB as it's got 5.1 analog out to utilise the 5.1 PCM input on my AVR and has HDMI out

[CASE] Antec Fusion-remote black htpc micro atx with ir and remote no psu
[CPU] AMD Phenom II x2 560 black edition callisto core S AM3 33ghz 7mb cache ht 4000mhz 80wl
[MOBO] Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H 760G Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
[SSD HDD] Corsair 32GB Nova SSD 2.5" 195MB/s Read, 70MB/s Write, Inc 2.5" To 3.5" Bracket
[RAM] 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V
[PSU] 430w Corsair CMPSU 430CX builder series 80 EFF120mm fan single 12v rail ATX psu
[SATA HDD] 2tb-Western Digital WD20ears Caviar Green Sata 3gb S Intellipower 64mb cache 8ms

Total £422

Whats your thoughts?

- eskro - 2011-05-20

the remote that came with my ANTEC case is really cheap/Not very responsive...
i use it only to POWER ON and OFF my HTPC,,,
and even doing so, signal is something not reaching the IR receiver it has built-in...
and dont go crazy on the LCD screen, if i didnt have it, i wouldnt cry at all...
really nothing to go crazy about...

I suggest you get another case and save money...
if you like bulky case like that, check out the Silverstone GD05....
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/silverstone-gd05b-grandia-htpc-matx-black-7CB0.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search&utm_content=RR00

or if u wanna save even more money, u can go with this Silverstone ML03B case
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/silverstone-ml03b-milo-slim-htpc-matx-black-7CB2.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search&utm_content=RR00
but the CORSAIR cpu wont fit well in it,,,
you'll the ANTEC EARTHWATTS 380W for that case...
http://www.crescentelectronics.co.uk/antec-earthwatts-ea380d-green-power-supply-380-watt.html

I would add at least get a GT210 video card in your build...
Even tho the CPU is strong enough, im not sure that using the onboard mobo video
would suffice for 1080P...
honestly, i strongly suggest you get the GT210....
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=144111&source=froogle

For CPU, the ATHLON X2 250 is widely used and perfect!
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=103672&source=froogle

- indiejones - 2011-05-21

Thanks for the heads up Escro

I've just realized that your case comes with 350w PSU so this would make it a cheaper alternative to the one I picked... as for the crappy remote that comes with the case I'm not too bothered as I've got a Harmony One remote... eventually though I do want to go the tcp/ip iPad way using iRule & Global Cache more info on iRule forum

I hear ya on the GPU & CPU but wanted to hear it from the horses mouth
I've just got to sell my C-200 NMT which shouldn't be too hard as long as price is right.

- Dyllanw - 2011-05-25

Recognition when I opened this topic. Build my HTPC over a year ago and it's sort of a light version of yours (mostly when it comes to powerusage I think Big Grin.) Athlon 240e, Asus M4A785G HTPC mobo, 2 Gb of memory, 40Gb SSD and a HD5450 graca. Even the case is the light version of yours as it's the same one but mine comes without the small screen on the left hand side.

Like you, I have installed Windows 7 x64 cause I just like Windows. Do you have XBMC autolaunched on startup or do you just never quit XBMC en just hibernate the HTPC?

Btw, why do you also have the Gyration mouse if you can use the Rii Mini as a mouse?

- eskro - 2011-05-25

Dyllanw Wrote:Do you have XBMC autolaunched on startup or do you just never quit XBMC en just hibernate the HTPC?

both!
i make xbmc launch on startup
and have the htpc sleep after 3min of inactivity....
Perfect setup for my non tech savvy father...

Dyllanw Wrote:Btw, why do you also have the Gyration mouse if you can use the Rii Mini as a mouse?
i use the rii mini for controlling xbmc and typing in search box of Firefox...
the cursor i control using the Gyration Air Mouse because its amazing,
and makes browsing lightning fast!
cant live without a scroll button Tongue

- indiejones - 2011-05-26

Hi Escro
I've finally decided to go with your setup but with a different CPU but I noticed you said that if you had to do it again you would use the ASRock E350M1 Motherboard AMD Dual Core (E-350) 1.6GHz Socket set up whats the advantage over what you have now as buying the Athlon CPU/MB route works out nearly the same price.

One other thing I've now got 2x 1.5TB HDD left over from selling my Popcorn Hour which has got all my films on... I'm still going to get a 32g SSD HDD to run Win7 & XBMC what I want to know is will I be able to put the 2 HDD + 1 SSD plus the GT210 graphic card in the Antec case

- eskro - 2011-05-26

yes i said i would use the ASROCK E350 because at the time,
i wasnt using AEON MQ2 skin,,,
but now, i know that its abit sluggish on that platform,,,
so if u dont plan to use AEON MQ2 skin, the E350 is good...

now aswer is no, you can only use 1 SSD + 1 HDD in the ANTEC case i have,,,

if u need more space, go for the SILVERSTONE ML03B or BG05 case....
or even the nMediaPC 5000B....

eskro Wrote:yes i said i would use the ASROCK E350 because at the time,
i wasnt using AEON MQ2 skin,,,
but now, i know that its abit sluggish on that platform,,,
so if u dont plan to use AEON MQ2 skin, the E350 is good...
Thanks for the heads up on that as I do plan on using the AEON MQ2 skin... I've been trying out on my duo core laptop and I love it
Quote:now aswer is no, you can only use 1 SSD + 1 HDD in the ANTEC case i have,,,

if u need more space, go for the SILVERSTONE ML03B or BG05 case....
or even the nMediaPC 5000B....

DAMMM!!!!
I really love that case...

Escro one of my 1.5TB HDD is the Samsung Story external USB Drive will I be able to use this until I can afford a NAS

- eskro - 2011-05-26

sure!

Escro
I think I've just found the solution to having a case big enough for 3 drives plus have a LCD display... plus it's an Antec case with 380w PSU

Antec-NSK2480 uk v2 desktop media centre case with 380w Earthwatts 80plus eff psu

Antec Veris Multimedia Station Elite 525 VFD Screen IR Receiver Remote Control

one other thing do you need to install the iMON iMEDIAN HD software

I am going to order this tonight all from different vendors (Scan, Ebuyer & Aria) just to save a few more ££££

- eskro - 2011-05-26

that could work i guess, but honestly,
you could save money and get the SILVERSTONE ML03B....

its ok if you really want an LCD screen but,
since i have it, i know that its nothing to go crazy about...

i never look at it, displays un-usefull stuff to me and,
to get it working with XBMC u need an app called XBMC-on-IMON...
once u have that, you'll only see the title of the movie thats playing or Song....

im telling you the honest truth,
next HTPC i'll buy, there wont be any LCD screens thats for sure...
i wont pay more for that... at all ...

Thanks for that... I guess I should just buy without LCD as what the hell am I going to be watching the LCD when I have big screen with XBMC on it lol

thanks for all your help... I'm going to order now and I will keep you posted on progress

- eskro - 2011-05-26

+1

- kozzbc - 2011-06-18

@eskro- Did you setup windows to boot directly into xbmc "as shell" like it explains here and then test your boot up. I setup a machine this way after i had windows installed setup just right and also added links into xbmc's menu with the advanced launcher addon to have firefox and my games launch from within xbmc and return to xbmc when you quit them. Another browser that i've found is better to for htpc's is called Kylo and is designed for pc-tv use, launch it from xbmc to create a seamless setup.