Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-05-09

I am thinking about adding a start up video to cover some if not all of the boot text. The only problem is that I am not exactly sure where to put it. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as I am not in front of my xbmxc box right now. Thanks guys.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, love the increased speed and stability content plays flawlessly including HD absolutely no buffering over wireless. Keep up the good work.

- illiac4 - 2011-05-09

Smile yes i know all this but it is as far as i can see it is the part of ffmpeg and i can not find it in source. I'm lost with this one Sad

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-09

Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:I am thinking about adding a start up video to cover some if not all of the boot text. The only problem is that I am not exactly sure where to put it. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as I am not in front of my xbmxc box right now. Thanks guys.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, love the increased speed and stability content plays flawlessly including HD absolutely no buffering over wireless. Keep up the good work.

Startup video would slow you down more. Really best you can get is a splash screen, but you should pay attention to the text, it'll tell you when you're getting updates, which will let you know why your boot is taking a lot longer all of a sudden. I'm releasing a quieter, faster boot soon -- was planning to whack PVR in with it but its just not mature enough yet, so I'll hold off and just offer up the speedy and quiet boot

illiac4 Wrote:Smile yes i know all this but it is as far as i can see it is the part of ffmpeg and i can not find it in source. I'm lost with this one Sad

Try compile FFMPEG package then

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-05-09

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Startup video would slow you down more. Really best you can get is a splash screen, but you should pay attention to the text, it'll tell you when you're getting updates, which will let you know why your boot is taking a lot longer all of a sudden. I'm releasing a quieter, faster boot soon -- was planning to whack PVR in with it but its just not mature enough yet, so I'll hold off and just offer up the speedy and quiet boot

Try compile FFMPEG package then

all right will do thanks for the heads up.

Is some short stutter normal when starting a video? - Ozymandyaz - 2011-05-10

Hi Sam -

First off, great workBig Grin! I guess I'm lucky as I never even owned an ATV until I saw this thread and bought one specifically to use as an XBMC player with component video. Super easy, very few headaches and I was up and running in a matter of hours (would have been minutes save the xorg.conf updates for Component!)

One question - (NOT complaining! Just asking if this is typical!)

Is it normal to have some judder or stutter on video start up, after a pause or after seeking? Specifically when I start a video it usually (but not always) takes about 1 - 2 seconds to start playing audio and then another second or two to start video. The audio continues normally but the video is jerky, maybe 2 or 3 frames per second for maybe 3 to some times 10 seconds. (I can get a debug log.)

The behavior is the same with resuming from a full stop, resuming from pause or resuming from a FF or 30 second jump; i.e. any time video starts. Once the stutter is gone I have not seen it come back, so as far as I am concerned the unit works just fine, but I’m curious if I can improve this. File size and bit rate are not a factor and sometimes a video will play instantly, and sometimes the same video will stutter for a few seconds.

I have converted over to all NFS shares from my Synology NAS (DS110j with only a D-Link gigabit switch in-between) and this helped a little since with SMB I could crash XBMC by seeking too much.

Also, this behavior is specific to the Broadcom card (the older “12” version and old layout) since XVID files play and seek instantly every time. H.264 (MKV/MP4) files exhibit the behavior above more often than not.

As background -

I have an ATV1 booting to 16GB USB thumb drive with no internal HDD. I also removed the fan completely for a totally silent and very stable video player. I updated the xorg.conf via SSH and the com.apple.Boot.plist via the GParted live CD. I have edited the Advancedsettings.xml to enable DDS fan art and verified that it is crating DDS files.

Also, I have an ATV2 upstairs being fed by the same NAS with no issues at all. Videos play instantly (1 second of “working”) and seek normally.

- thermobaric - 2011-05-10

weejo11 Wrote:Thanks Sam, got it working.

Just wondering why 1080p and even my 720p files are always buffering.

Mine does the same, and it's wired in at 100baseT to an airport extreme with an HD attached via USB. That's actually why I was trying to hack together afp support. If you happen to find the cause, please let me know. I did manage to mount the internal drive and put the movies in question on it; they played flawlessly.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-10

Ozymandyaz Wrote:Hi Sam -

First off, great workBig Grin! I guess I'm lucky as I never even owned an ATV until I saw this thread and bought one specifically to use as an XBMC player with component video. Super easy, very few headaches and I was up and running in a matter of hours (would have been minutes save the xorg.conf updates for Component!)

One question - (NOT complaining! Just asking if this is typical!)

Is it normal to have some judder or stutter on video start up, after a pause or after seeking? Specifically when I start a video it usually (but not always) takes about 1 - 2 seconds to start playing audio and then another second or two to start video. The audio continues normally but the video is jerky, maybe 2 or 3 frames per second for maybe 3 to some times 10 seconds. (I can get a debug log.)

The behavior is the same with resuming from a full stop, resuming from pause or resuming from a FF or 30 second jump; i.e. any time video starts. Once the stutter is gone I have not seen it come back, so as far as I am concerned the unit works just fine, but I’m curious if I can improve this. File size and bit rate are not a factor and sometimes a video will play instantly, and sometimes the same video will stutter for a few seconds.

I have converted over to all NFS shares from my Synology NAS (DS110j with only a D-Link gigabit switch in-between) and this helped a little since with SMB I could crash XBMC by seeking too much.

Also, this behavior is specific to the Broadcom card (the older “12” version and old layout) since XVID files play and seek instantly every time. H.264 (MKV/MP4) files exhibit the behavior above more often than not.

As background -

I have an ATV1 booting to 16GB USB thumb drive with no internal HDD. I also removed the fan completely for a totally silent and very stable video player. I updated the xorg.conf via SSH and the com.apple.Boot.plist via the GParted live CD. I have edited the Advancedsettings.xml to enable DDS fan art and verified that it is crating DDS files.

Also, I have an ATV2 upstairs being fed by the same NAS with no issues at all. Videos play instantly (1 second of “working”) and seek normally.

Yep. It's known as "video startup trainwreck" -- the card is slow to initialise and start pushing frames after starting or resuming. There's not much that can be done to be honest as I don't write the BCM70012 drivers, but any future updates will be automatically deployed to your box.

AVC1 and XBMC on ATV? - pmcd - 2011-05-11

Is there support for "AVC1" video with the CystalHD+Linux+ATV1? AVC1 seems to basically be h.264 so it's odd that my ATV1 won't play these files. This is the type of file you get when you record a 720p or higher show using EyeTV HD and export it to a 720p mp4 file. If you export to an iPad or iPhone version then you get a slightly lower resolution that plays fine of the ATV1+CrystalHD+Linux and the video is labelled h.264 by media info.

Is this an XBMC issue or a Crystal HD issue?

philip

- bleze - 2011-05-11

Ozymandyaz Wrote:I have an ATV1 booting to 16GB USB thumb drive with no internal HDD. I also removed the fan completely for a totally silent and very stable video player. I updated the xorg.conf via SSH and the com.apple.Boot.plist via the GParted live CD.

I'm curious Smile

- Removing the fan is safe if you have no harddrive in it?
- Why edit com.apple.Boot.plist ?

My Apple TV takes like 2 minutes before the Penguin even appears. It would be nice if it booted faster. I wonder what it's doing for this long. I'm booting from a fast 16 GB USB stick.
I've ordered the iHub (non-powered) to connect both the USB stick and a Philips amBX setup for sound and Boblight later on. Hopefully the aTV provides enough power through it's USB port.

- bass63 - 2011-05-11

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Yep. It's known as "video startup trainwreck" -- the card is slow to initialise and start pushing frames after starting or resuming. There's not much that can be done to be honest as I don't write the BCM70012 drivers, but any future updates will be automatically deployed to your box.

Sam, is this behaviour specific to 70012 card? Will replacing it with 70015 version improve the situation?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-11

pmcd Wrote:Is there support for "AVC1" video with the CystalHD+Linux+ATV1? AVC1 seems to basically be h.264 so it's odd that my ATV1 won't play these files. This is the type of file you get when you record a 720p or higher show using EyeTV HD and export it to a 720p mp4 file. If you export to an iPad or iPhone version then you get a slightly lower resolution that plays fine of the ATV1+CrystalHD+Linux and the video is labelled h.264 by media info.

Is this an XBMC issue or a Crystal HD issue?

philip

AVC1 == H264

AppleTV should play it. You will see h264 and AVC are identical if you use mediainfo. My theory is that your using PVR software which writes to the container as a stream, your MP4 isn't properly formed, you could demux the streams, remux into an MKV and it should work.

So it's not an XBMC or CrystalHD issue, its a EyeTV issue.

bleze Wrote:I'm curious Smile

My Apple TV takes like 2 minutes before the Penguin even appears. It would be nice if it booted faster. I wonder what it's doing for this long. I'm booting from a fast 16 GB USB stick.
I've ordered the iHub (non-powered) to connect both the USB stick and a Philips amBX setup for sound and Boblight later on. Hopefully the aTV provides enough power through it's USB port.

Could remove fan I guess -- but I wouldn't because it's not audible so there's little point. 2 minutes is probably because of your MBR needing to be fixed (I'll take a look -- email me when your SSH is available). The reason the other guy edited his com.apple.Boot.plist is because he removed his HDD - so the USB (usually second device, and /dev/sdb), became the first device, and /dev/sda. So the kernel arguments needed to be changed

bass63 Wrote:Sam, is this behaviour specific to 70012 card? Will replacing it with 70015 version improve the situation?

No idea -- only only a 70012, but it should be improved. Don't take my word for that though

- Ozymandyaz - 2011-05-11

bleze Wrote:I'm curious Smile

Hi Bleze,

The ATV that I bought was used, and I think I got such a "good" deal because the fan was noisy and the HDD does not sound too good either. However, I was specifically interested in a totally silent XBMC media player to replace a WDTV and since I do not have a working HDMI port on this particular TV the ATV1 seemed perfect once all the moving parts were removed. I have an ATV2 upstairs and its also quite good with XBMC.

This all works just fine and I have no stability issues at all (once I moved to NFS shares.) Heat is warm to the touch but not burning hot even while playing HD content. I have been running for about a week so this all may burn up in time, but for now, its working well. Though, my ATV is in a basement where the ambient temp is always rather cool, so this may not be a good idea in warmer environment.

I will enable the GPU temp sensor and give some results while playing video shortly.

EDIT: GPU Temp is about 135 to 140 F

- bass63 - 2011-05-11

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:No idea -- only only a 70012, but it should be improved. Don't take my word for that though

Can anyone with BCM70015 confirm that the start/resuming of playback is not too jerky?

I usually got up to 5-10 seconds of stuttering with 70012 and 1080p material when I hit play (streaming from Time Capsule, playing from internal disk or USB doesn't improve things much). If I rewind a bit (SmallStepBack) it starts to play smoothly almost instantly, so it is definitely initialization problem of the CrystalHD chip/drivers. Just curious if BCM70015 behaves the same way since they both use same driver package. Thanks!!!

- pmcd - 2011-05-12

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:AVC1 == H264

AppleTV should play it. You will see h264 and AVC are identical if you use mediainfo. My theory is that your using PVR software which writes to the container as a stream, your MP4 isn't properly formed, you could demux the streams, remux into an MKV and it should work.

So it's not an XBMC or CrystalHD issue, its a EyeTV issue.

I demuxed and remuxed into mkv. I also remuxed into mp4. It plays fine on my PCH-C200 ( original and remuxed), won't play using XBMC-Linux on the ATV with the CHD (well it's not using the hardware), plays using XBMC on a Mac Mini but that is just brute force, plays on a couple of other media players I have ( realtek based).

I have seen a couple of other posts regarding problems with XBMC and AVC1, but never a resolution. It seems to me these files used to play using older versions of XBMC (in fact I know they played as I used to play EyeTV parsed files). Somehow there is something different with Dharma 10.x.

Seems strange as the ATV with linux-xbmc will play far more detailed h.264 mkv files.

Perhaps AVC1 is not quite h.264?

philip

- pumkinut - 2011-05-12

As Sam said, AVC1 is H264, codec wise. AVC1 is one of the FourCC codes that can be applied to MPEG4 Part 10 AVC (Advanced Video Codec).

There is VC-1 which is a Microsoft codec. A lot of the HD cameras use standard codecs, but in a non-standard way, which can cause playback problems. You may have to transcode this content.