Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- thnmnt - 2011-05-12

bass63 Wrote:Can anyone with BCM70015 confirm that the start/resuming of playback is not too jerky?

I have both the 0012 and the 0015 cards in different machines. I can definitely say that the the "trainwreck" issue is mitigated somewhat in the 0015 cards. Everything seems to start faster with less grinding. I watch almost exclusively 720p content in the mkv container however so I can't comment on 1080p performance.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-12

A maintenance update has arrived, bringing 9 changes to the image. To find out what's changed check out my blog here

- pumkinut - 2011-05-12

Thanks Sam! Looks like I'll be enabling updates and rebooting tonight.

To anyone that disabled updates.

To re-enable:

Code:
sudo ./enable_updates

Reboot:

Code:
sudo reboot

- Ozymandyaz - 2011-05-12

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:A maintenance update has arrived, bringing 9 changes to the image. To find out what's changed check out my blog here

Donation sent =) Really nice work Sam!Big Grin

- pmcd - 2011-05-12

pumkinut Wrote:As Sam said, AVC1 is H264, codec wise. AVC1 is one of the FourCC codes that can be applied to MPEG4 Part 10 AVC (Advanced Video Codec).

There is VC-1 which is a Microsoft codec. A lot of the HD cameras use standard codecs, but in a non-standard way, which can cause playback problems. You may have to transcode this content.

Interesting. The EyeTV recording software claims it is h.264 and mediainfo identifies it that way. But it is seen by xbmc as avc and I assume that is because of the FourCC identifier code. On my 2.66GHz Mac Mini it takes 55% of the CPU to play it through xbmc. It is obviously not being assisted by graphics hardware acceleration. On the ATV it is just using the CPU and hence can't keep up.

The bottom line is that the CHD on the ATV is not being used for these types of files and an equivalent thing is happening on the Mac which is the 2010 model. QuickTime plays it smoothly with low CPU overhead on the Mac.

Perhaps it is the 60fps @720p that is causing the problem?

Funny, as it's a recording of an SD program!

Philip

Ozymandyaz Wrote:Donation sent =) Really nice work Sam!Big Grin

Check your email for a thanks Smile

pmcd Wrote:Interesting. The EyeTV recording software claims it is h.264 and mediainfo identifies it that way. But it is seen by xbmc as avc and I assume that is because of the FourCC identifier code. On my 2.66GHz Mac Mini it takes 55% of the CPU to play it through xbmc. It is obviously not being assisted by graphics hardware acceleration. On the ATV it is just using the CPU and hence can't keep up.

The bottom line is that the CHD on the ATV is not being used for these types of files and an equivalent thing is happening on the Mac which is the 2010 model. QuickTime plays it smoothly with low CPU overhead on the Mac.

Perhaps it is the 60fps @720p that is causing the problem?

Funny, as it's a recording of an SD program!

Philip

60fps! http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74923

Never experienced it as in the UK our broadcasts are 50fps (because our power runs on 50Hz)

No update? - mattg42 - 2011-05-13

Hi Sam,

Sorry to be dumb but I've been using your excellent Crystalumbuntu build since Dharma beta on my ATV1 and now I'm happily running 10.1 on your earlier builds. I've updated it manually over time by reading forums and I'm very happy with it, you are a star....Cool

I'm eager to try your new update and have rebooted my ATV1 hoping to see an update and nada. I then tried to find enable_updates, and such a script does not exist on my hard drive (I've installed the whole dist on my 160Gb internal HD of the ATV1). My System Info shows the build as Dharma 10.1 from March 9th 2011. uname -a gives:-

Linux AppleTV 2.6.24-28-generic #1 SMP Thu May 27 00:16:49 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

So, I guess I have an earlier build, I don't have the auto updating capability (yes?). Is their an easy way to get your update or do I have to wipe the whole machine and start again?

If so, I might wait for Eden etc but any advise or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-13

Hey,

Dharma beta never shipped with this new image. Updates are available to those using the GUI installers released on March 28th 2011.

Hope this clears things up

- rootbeer - 2011-05-13

Hi Sam, I'm not really sure if you will know the answer to this, but is there a known problem with playing back HD MPEG2 content back with xmbc + apple tv + crystal hd?

I am using the crystalubuntu image created from your UI installer and my install was seamless. (You have done an excellent job with the installer.) SD content seems to play really nicely, however there are a lot of slowdowns and hiccups while playing HD content that was recorded from an OTA stream with a mythtv box.

rootbeer Wrote:Hi Sam, I'm not really sure if you will know the answer to this, but is there a known problem with playing back HD MPEG2 content back with XBMC + apple tv + crystal hd?

I am using the crystalubuntu image created from your UI installer and my install was seamless. (You have done an excellent job with the installer.) SD content seems to play really nicely, however there are a lot of slowdowns and hiccups while playing HD content that was recorded from an OTA stream with a mythtv box.

CrystalHD does not accelerate MPEG2 video

- rootbeer - 2011-05-13

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:CrystalHD does not accelerate MPEG2 video

Really? Is the limitation specific to linux?

I could be wrong, but it looks like the products page seems to mention the feature here:
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Consumer-Electronics/Netbook-and-Nettop-Solutions/BCM70012

- jumpcuts - 2011-05-13

Hello Sam,

I followed the instruction on your website to add the GPU temperature option in advancedsettings.xml. I installed both packages and now the apple tv won't display an image after its normal boot sequence. Tried on 2 different displayt and it's a no go, I also tried to uninstall the package but it didn't help.

Anything else I could try before I do a clean re-install?

Thanks in advance.

What happens trying to run sudo xinit /usr/local/bin/xbmc --standalone

- rootbeer - 2011-05-13

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:CrystalHD does not accelerate MPEG2 video

Is the lack of MPEG2 acceleration Linux specific?

I could be wrong, but it looks like the feature page mentions MPEG2 as supported:

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Consumer-Electronics/Netbook-and-Nettop-Solutions/BCM70012