Kodi Community Forum
Interlaced VC1 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Interlaced VC1 (/showthread.php?tid=97993)

Pages: 1 2

Interlaced VC1 - ZestyChicken - 2011-03-29

Question for you the geniuses among you. I have some mkvs of "Earth the Biography," a BBC series. It was encoded using 1080i VC1. Unfortunately I can't watch it on either VLC or Media Player Classic. WMP chokes on all mkvs. Just curious if anyone has gotten this to work.

From some internet research it seems to be a ffdshow show, though honestly I don't understand all the technical aspects other than there just isn't enough demand to put it into a free player.

Has anyone gotten this to work?
Do you have to use a pay player? If so, which? Does that play nice with XBMC?

One other unrelated question - is there any benefit to using VLC vs MPC generally? I find performance of VLS is much better than MPC outside xbmc (in windows) but XBMX performance identical as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any help!!!

- Philmatic - 2011-03-29

XBMC can deinterlace 1080i video but it will rely completely on your CPU to decode the frames and perform the deinterlacing. DXVA currently does not support deinterlacing, but it's close to implementation, see this thread for more information.

- thethirdnut - 2011-03-29

Ripbot264 to transcode to x264.

I had 10 x 1-hour episodes of WW2 in HD in the same horrid format - 1080i VC-1.

The only thing I could find that would work is to transcode them in a Windows VM using Ripbot264. It took for bloody ever to do each; 12+ hours; but in the end I had all episodes in x264, deinterlaced and useable on XBMC.

- ZestyChicken - 2011-03-29

thethirdnut Wrote:Ripbot264 to transcode to x264.

I had 10 x 1-hour episodes of WW2 in HD in the same horrid format - 1080i VC-1.

The only thing I could find that would work is to transcode them in a Windows VM using Ripbot264. It took for bloody ever to do each; 12+ hours; but in the end I had all episodes in x264, deinterlaced and useable on XBMC.

Widows VM? Not super familiar with that. Were you doing that to emulate XP or something?

ZestyChicken Wrote:Widows VM? Not super familiar with that. Were you doing that to emulate XP or something?

I don't allow any MS OS's in the house other than in a Virtual Machine...run WinXP through Virtualbox where needed.

Meaning of this is that it'll likely run quicker on a dedicated Windows PC.

thethirdnut Wrote:I don't allow any MS OS's in the house other than in a Virtual Machine...run WinXP through Virtualbox where needed.

Meaning of this is that it'll likely run quicker on a dedicated Windows PC.

Ah...gotcha. I'm on Win 7 so Im guessing should work hopefully. What settings did you use? (thanks again for all the help)

Video: looks, ok other than set mine to mkv container. ++ check if there is options to do a deinterlace; I don't remember off-hand where this is.

Audio: I used TSMuxer to Demux the audio stream and then muxed it back into the finished mkv using mkvmerge. So in my case No Audio.

thethirdnut Wrote:Video: looks, ok other than set mine to mkv container. ++ check if there is options to do a deinterlace; I don't remember off-hand where this is.

Audio: I used TSMuxer to Demux the audio stream and then muxed it back into the finished mkv using mkvmerge. So in my case No Audio.

Hmmm...complicated. Did you find you had to do that for the audio to sync or has experience just thought you that's generally the way to go?

Just the way to go. Do that for everything.

Less time for it to crunch along transcoding too.

TSMuxer + mkvmerge very easy to use.

Well I'm giving it a shot. eta 1:45.

I'm running an i7 on Win7 with a GTX 460. For whatever reason, this card is like 10x faster than my previous nVidia card at all this ripping and transcoding stuff.

thethirdnut Wrote:Just the way to go. Do that for everything.

Less time for it to crunch along transcoding too.

TSMuxer + mkvmerge very easy to use.

Oh, I see, since you don't need to transcode the audio anyway. Smart.

As long as the transcoded video works that's 90% of the battle. Muxing audio back in/out is easy.

Huh, I just realized after installing Matroska that the video now plays natively in WMP. Interesting...I wonder if I could now use WMP as an external player...lol...

Thing is that if there isn't a whole lot of these files then xcoding them to x264 will be worth the effort cause then they'll play on everything.

thethirdnut Wrote:Thing is that if there isn't a whole lot of these files then xcoding them to x264 will be worth the effort cause then they'll play on everything.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. Configuring an external player on a bunch of machines is a pain.

Still, I got it working now...