Kodi Community Forum
Newbie - New aTV2 Need advice on Jailbreak and installs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=113)
+--- Thread: Newbie - New aTV2 Need advice on Jailbreak and installs (/showthread.php?tid=98432)

Pages: 1 2 3

- amoses - 2011-04-06

I guess you have to hook it up to the tv to update it? I don't see anyway to do it in itunes.

- dazex - 2011-04-06

Just plug it in with your usb cable. Don't plug in the power cable. It'll show up in iTunes with the option to restore the latest firmware. If you have an iPhone or iPod, it appears similarly.

Alternatively, you can update from the TV as well.

Since you'll be jailbreaking anyways, learn to do everything from the computer. Remember the most important step, don't plug in the power cable when restoring using iTunes.

- amoses - 2011-04-06

dazex Wrote:Since you'll be jailbreaking anyways, learn to do everything from the computer. Remember the most important step, don't plug in the power cable when restoring using iTunes.

What if I did have the power cord plugged in? did I blow something up? I will plug it in again and hit the restore button.

Thanks. sorry about all the minor questions. you are a great help though.

- jd2157 - 2011-04-06

amoses Wrote:I guess you have to hook it up to the tv to update it? I don't see anyway to do it in itunes.

Make sure the only cable plugged into the atv2 is the microUSB cable. The atv2 should show up on the left, click it then you should see an upgrade or restore button.

You can always upgrade manually too, download the firmware file for the atv2 from the Internet, plug in via USB, then Shift-click (or Option-click if on Mac) the Restore button and pick the ipsw firmware file to install.

- amoses - 2011-04-06

wow..... big update - 35 minutes. But it's working. Thanks a lot!

- dazex - 2011-04-06

Don't worry. iTunes will detect the ATV2 once plugged in without the power cable and give you the option to restore. I haven't manage to break the ATV2 yet. With all the testing I do to help the devs make XBMC better, you'd think I would have bricked the device by now.

- amoses - 2011-04-07

My aTV 2 is working great. Thanks a lot for the help. However, is there someway to watch current tv shows online, like you can on the networks site? For example, in icefilms there are very few episodes of criminal minds, but you can go to CBS's website and watch current episodes on your computer. Is there some way we can do that through aTV?

- landscribe - 2011-04-07

dazex Wrote:Don't worry. iTunes will detect the ATV2 once plugged in without the power cable and give you the option to restore. I haven't manage to break the ATV2 yet. With all the testing I do to help the devs make XBMC better, you'd think I would have bricked the device by now.

This makes me happy Smile

(... as I'm about to attempt a jailbreak, and XBMC install).

- Muttleyuk - 2011-04-07

Should I be able to downgrade my ATV2 firmware from 4.3.1 to 4.2.1 without any SHSH blobs? I didn’t think I could.

I spent all day trying and I’ve just managed to do it using a combination of Sn0wBreeze, Greenpois0n and Seas0nPass.

I can roughly remember how if anybody is interested. I’m not saying it’s the best way to do it but it has worked.

- dazex - 2011-04-07

Apple is still signing 4.2.1 SHSH blob for ATV2 so you currently can. However, the can stop at any time and when they do, there will no longer be a way to downgrade to iOS revision that you do not have a SHSH blob saved.

That's how it's always been.

- Muttleyuk - 2011-04-07

dazex Wrote:Apple is still signing 4.2.1 SHSH blob for ATV2 so you currently can. However, the can stop at any time and when they do, there will no longer be a way to downgrade to iOS revision that you do not have a SHSH blob saved.

That's how it's always been.

Sorry, my mistake then, I have read time and time again that they stopped signing the 4.2.1 blobs.

Why don't others on this board just downgrade to 4.2.1 when there are still issues with 4.3.1?

- jd2157 - 2011-04-07

Muttleyuk Wrote:Sorry, my mistake then, I have read time and time again that they stopped signing the 4.2.1 blobs.

Why don't others on this board just downgrade to 4.2.1 when there are still issues with 4.3.1?

Anyone can downgrade, assuming they're aware that iOS 4.2.1 is still being signed, and not everyone is aware of that.

The main reason is probably the updates on iOS 4.3: Netflix 5.1 sound, MLB, NBA, Airplay updates, etc. Some folks want some/all of these things, or they just like to tinker with their atv2, so off to 4.3 they go. The unofficial nightly builds are doing pretty well on 4.3 (and the latest untethered seas0npass jb works well on 4.3) so most folks are ok there.

- Muttleyuk - 2011-04-07

jd2157 Wrote:Anyone can downgrade, assuming they're aware that iOS 4.2.1 is still being signed, and not everyone is aware of that.

The main reason is probably the updates on iOS 4.3: Netflix 5.1 sound, MLB, NBA, Airplay updates, etc. Some folks want some/all of these things, or they just like to tinker with their atv2, so off to 4.3 they go. The unofficial nightly builds are doing pretty well on 4.3 (and the latest untethered seas0npass jb works well on 4.3) so most folks are ok there.

Cool, that's great news for me - I have 2x ATV2s already on 4.2.1 and this is my 3rd but it came with 4.3.1 preinstalled. Living in the UK I don't get Netflix/MLB/NBA anyway and the few other features are of no interest to me, so it's great to hear they are still signing 4.2.1.

It was a bit of a mess the way I did it, what with iTunes constantly reporting errors at the end of the install but it does work. Would you recommend restoring with a clean 4.2.1 and then JB's again while I still can then?

Also, as a side note (and as you've been so helpful Wink ) I have saved my SHSH blobs for my iPhone and iPad but not for any of these ATVs. Whenever I run TinyUmbrella, it doesn't recognise them. Do you know if there's an easy way to save them with using TinyUmbrella (like using iSHSHit on the iPhone) ?

Thanks again for your replies, you've been very helpful. Sometimes it just takes one person in the know rather than trawling through thousands of contradictory info on the web and still not knowing where I stand. Smile

Oh, and do you (or anybody else out there) know of a good, up to date list of which blobs Apple are still signing?

- jd2157 - 2011-04-07

Muttleyuk Wrote:Cool, that's great news for me - I have 2x ATV2s already on 4.2.1 and this is my 3rd but it came with 4.3.1 preinstalled. Living in the UK I don't get Netflix/MLB/NBA anyway and the few other features are of no interest to me, so it's great to hear they are still signing 4.2.1.

It was a bit of a mess the way I did it, what with iTunes constantly reporting errors at the end of the install but it does work. Would you recommend restoring with a clean 4.2.1 and then JB's again while I still can then?

Also, as a side note (and as you've been so helpful Wink ) I have saved my SHSH blobs for my iPhone and iPad but not for any of these ATVs. Whenever I run TinyUmbrella, it doesn't recognise them. Do you know if there's an easy way to save them with using TinyUmbrella (like using iSHSHit on the iPhone) ?

Thanks again for your replies, you've been very helpful. Sometimes it just takes one person in the know rather than trawling through thousands of contradictory info on the web and still not knowing where I stand. Smile

Oh, and do you (or anybody else out there) know of a good, up to date list of which blobs Apple are still signing?

- Ya, I'd probably start fresh on 4.2.1 and jailbreak again (pwnagetool 4.2 is probably the best option if Greenpois0n doesn't work, pwnagetool 4.3 has some issues on iOS 4.3 so I wouldn't trust it). I'd definitely want the SHSH blobs first just in case though... but 4.3 has gotten pretty good so being forced there wouldn't be a big deal, you'd just need to use the nightly builds to get HD playback working again.
- Tiny Umbrella has trouble detecting the atv2 so usually the ECID needs to be entered manually. I like this guy's tutorial on it: http://appletvblogr.com/2010/12/how-to-save-shsh-files-for-the-apple-tv-2g-manually-using-tinyumbrella/
- Yer welcome, don't discount the value of trawling though... you pickup all kinds of stuff along the way... although lots of it is crap since things are changing daily. When you hit a wall it's nice to have the forums here though... lots of folks pitchin in.
- Good question on how to tell which blobs are being signed. I don't know of any other way than using Tiny Umbrella and checking it's log... someone mentioned another way but it sounded a bit low level for my abilities/patience.

- Muttleyuk - 2011-04-08

Again, thanks so much for the info.

I will save the blobs first manually and then start afresh with 4.2.1 and jb it with GreenPois0n as I know this works flawlessly.

You're a credit to the community Smile