Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- kobik - 2011-11-15

Well...
I couldn't compile anything.
You name it: XBMC, vdr, xvdr addons and so on.
As noob I am in Linux I tried using my search skills but I haven't found any solution for any of my errors.
If you people can enlighten me, I would be more than happy of course.

- wsnipex - 2011-11-15

install a compiler, toolchain and dependencies for the stuff you want to compile. This must be done independently from which distro you use.

if you have the xbmc ppa active, this should do:
Code:
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc

- kobik - 2011-11-16

OK, after some reason I couldn't compile on Oneiric previous install now I'm able to do so.

But, now I get
Code:
Error: unable to open display (null)
And XBMC isn't loading.
Depression is a small word for what I'm feeling now Sad

Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
        BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

- wsnipex - 2011-11-16

Is X actually running before you do this?
If you paste errors at least also paste the commands that lead to them.
How do you expect us to help you, when you do not provide the information needed....

also provide output of fglrxinfo and vainfo

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-16

Not to hijack the thread but I'm experiencing random crashes in XBMC. They seem to happen more when I pause or stop a video. wsnipex, Ive come across a couple of threads in which you instruct people to try the FernetMenta patches for VAAPI when experiencing random crashes and such. However, these threads were dated awhile ago. Are these patches still relevant? As of last night I am still having the random crash issue and I am on the latest nightly (as of last night 11-16-2011). I'm still new to all this, but I can post any info you may need, just let me know. Thanks.

- waver123 - 2011-11-16

idtjes3 Wrote:Not to hijack the thread but I'm experiencing random crashes in XBMC. They seem to happen more when I pause or stop a video. wsnipex, Ive come across a couple of threads in which you instruct people to try the FernetMenta patches for VAAPI when experiencing random crashes and such. However, these threads were dated awhile ago. Are these patches still relevant? As of last night I am still having the random crash issue and I am on the latest nightly (as of last night 11-16-2011). I'm still new to all this, but I can post any info you may need, just let me know. Thanks.

idtjes3,
fritsch has seen similar crashes as you and mine and he said the crashes seem to have gone away after he upgraded to fglrx 11.11..... can you upgrade that and see if it makes a difference for you?

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-16

Sure I can do that. Is fglx the same as fglrx (sorry noob question)? Is there a way I can check to see if I'm already running the latest version (perhaps fglrx ifo will tell me?). If I have a guide I can do anything, else I can just search google if it will give me the correct results.

- waver123 - 2011-11-16

Yes I've a typo....fglrxinfo should give you the version number....the new one was just released like yesterday. I was trying to read the release note but the link is broken Sad

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-16

Oh in that case I know I don't have the latest and greatest since I assembled this Saturday or Sunday I believe. I will try to update that when I get home and post my results. Thanks

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-17

OK, so I ran fglrxinfo and got this:

ms01-john@media-server-01:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11161 Compatibility Profile Context

Does this mean Ive been using fglrx version 4.1 :confused2: ?? Dint expect it to be that far off..

- waver123 - 2011-11-17

idtjes3,
Can you do a "dmesg | grep fglrx" and see what date the build is? Then match the build date to catalyst version from here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/previous/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx

- MTroi - 2011-11-17

Everyone who wants to update their driver to the latest version (11.11 was released on the 15th) should uninstall the old ones via:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-17

Waver123 Your command game me this:

ms01-john@media-server-01:~$ dmesg | grep fglrx
[ 17.374343] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. © 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
[ 18.334662] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 3300 MBytes.
[ 18.334754] [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9802 count: 1
[ 18.335646] [fglrx] ioport: bar 1, base 0xf000, size: 0x100
[ 18.361914] [fglrx] Kernel PAT support is enabled
[ 18.361966] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.90.5 [Oct 12 2011] with 1 minors
[ 280.792546] fglrx_pci 0000:00:01.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
[ 280.793510] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 1480
[ 280.793690] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 1481
[ 280.793787] [fglrx] Firegl kernel thread PID: 1482
[ 280.793984] [fglrx] IRQ 44 Enabled
[ 281.129877] [fglrx] Gart USWC size:1080 M.
[ 281.129884] [fglrx] Gart cacheable size:427 M.
[ 281.129894] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
[ 281.129898] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:fc9d000, size:363000
[ 281.129902] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:1fff4000, size:c000

the only date I see is Oct 12th, which would mean I have the 11.10 drivers installed.

MTroi i followed your guide which should of installed the 11.11 drivers, not sure why it didn't. Can I install 11.11 via "Additional Drivers" ? There is a post release driver in there im guessing is the 11.11..... After I upgrade to 11.11, do I have to generate an initial X11 config again then reboot like before?

ps: had another random crash. Watched a 720p program then switched inputs to play xbox for a few hrs. when I came back the the XBMC input, the gui was unresponsive and I had to hard reset to computer (again). I started playing roughly around 7:45 or so. I noticed the XBMC clock froze at precisely 8:00pm. Thank jebus my NAS raid 5 has held up to these never ending brutal restarts...

- chemical - 2011-11-17

idtjes3 Wrote:ps: had another random crash. Watched a 720p program then switched inputs to play xbox for a few hrs. when I came back the the XBMC input, the gui was unresponsive and I had to hard reset to computer (again). I started playing roughly around 7:45 or so. I noticed the XBMC clock froze at precisely 8:00pm. Thank jebus my NAS raid 5 has held up to these never ending brutal restarts...

I have those random "freezes" in the GUI, too. It seems that everything else is working (ssh, services, ..) but just XBMC waits for a "flip" of the video memory and timeouts (it is still partly working and logging in temp/xbmc.log).

Most of the time this happens during transitions and fade in/out's of GUIs elements.

One can watch TV and or movies for hours without problem, but after a specific number of movements (or channel switches) within the GUI the freeze happens.

This is reproducible - I can provide more detail if this is of help. I wasn't mentioning this because this is bleeding edge code (Opdenkamp git + 3 patches from FernetMenta) and there is a new target (xvba rendering instead of vaapi) coming up on the sky.

- Robotica - 2011-11-17

chemical Wrote:.....

and there is a new target (xvba rendering instead of vaapi) coming up on the sky.

Is there more info on this?