• 3(current)
3D Full SBS (3840x1080)... Success!
r4nd0m Wrote:not really, xbmc will squeeze, so to speak, a 3D full sbs 3840x1080 to 1920x1080 and then send it via hdmi where as a 3d device like a 3d bluray player then will use for example framepackaging to send the full 3840x1080 via hdmi 1.4 to the display where the stream is then handled accordingly

so when you use a 3840x1080 on xbmc it will not matter as only information of 1920x1080 will reach the display anyway, as far as I observed it, sending a 3d full sbs still leaves you with a half sbs on the display as the information/stream is not squeezed and sent but squeezed and lost while being sent to the display

correct me if I am wrong but without a stereoscopic encoder that will send 3840x1080 to the display, xbmc does not afaik, you will never have the same data-rate/frame-rate going across the hdmi as the original input that xbmc de-codes, so you end up with 960x1080 or half sbs in the end

You have a very good point there. Makes total sense.

So does Stereoscopic Player behave correctly? Guess so.

Cheers for the enlightenment! Wink
SofaKng Wrote:I've also been hoping for 3D support in XBMC but it probably won't happen for a while.

Those of you playing "Full SBS" are only getting 1080p output to your TV. For true 3D HD output the video card needs to encode the content into a supported HDMI 1.4 format such as frame-packing, etc.

I'm not sure if the nVidia driver (for Linux) has 3D support but I believe this might be the first step as well as having ffmpeg modified as well.

liquidskin76 Wrote:errr... no! Full SBS is 2 1920x1080 frames. Same as frame packed, etc. In the end they are all 1920x1080 to each eyes.

Are you thinking of Half SBS, which is 960x1080 to each eye, so not full 1080p resolution?

Cheers

Hey SofaKng,

Apologies my good man. Blush

I retract that statement!

Cheers Wink
Ok, that was an eye opener! Playing Full SBS with Stereoscopic Player, i can see the resolution improvement, crosstalk is much less, colours are brighter. Big improvement overall to Half SBS.

Back to the drawing board for 3D on the HTPC i think! Rolleyes
Eh, we are both right Smile

The 3D standards are very confusing especially because it's so new. The problem seems to be getting the video card to output the video in a way that the 3D TV can understand.

Here is a pretty good explanation of the different 3D formats: http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-packing-3d/

It doesn't seem possible to output a giant 3840x1080 image (or 1920x2160). When a Bluray player is outputting 3D (using an HDMI 1.4 standard), it packs it in a special format which is the missing piece of XBMC/FFMPEG.

I'd bet it also has to work with the drivers (nvidia/ati) so the video card understands how to send the signal properly.

Furthermore, I don't think any "Full HD 3D" file formats have been standardized. (ie. left/right eyes using separate files, etc) Bluray 3D movies use some kind of UDF file system hackery so if you try to directly copy it to your HDD, you end up with about 2x the amount of space used as what's shown on the disc.

Anyways - I'm just learning too so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with anything...

EDIT: I believe that the Stereoscopic Player (and PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc) is one of those special apps that understand the HDMI 1.4 3D formats which is why it can output a true HDMI 1.4 signal...
I'd use Stereoscopic Player as an external player however it doesn't support seeking in any way other than the seek bar, which is useless when using an HTPC as a 10foot media center!
SofaKng Wrote:EDIT: I believe that the Stereoscopic Player (and PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc) is one of those special apps that understand the HDMI 1.4 3D formats which is why it can output a true HDMI 1.4 signal...

thats what I think it will create a new decode and send it to the display ... while checking for 3DBD iso playback I just saw that the following in the log:

21:34:08 T:2838670192 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Creating VDPAU(1920x1080, 28)

so it created a regular 1080p to the display as it doesnt know how to decode properly ... this should be the case for full 3d sbs same way
tetsu81vn,
I saw that at the right of the Movie name in your print screen, you have the description 3D SBS.
How can i do this?
glauber.herbert Wrote:tetsu81vn,
I saw that at the right of the Movie name in your print screen, you have the description 3D SBS.
How can i do this?

Just Edit the Title of the Movie Wink
Thats exactly how i do it.
Right!!
Can you give me one example?
Like Avatar. i have the following name file:

Where I need to insert the 3D SBS? In Avatar name?
glauber.herbert Wrote:Right!!
Can you give me one example?
Like Avatar. i have the following name file:

Where I need to insert the 3D SBS? In Avatar name?

You did not understand me correctly, Go into your Movie Collection within XBMC open up the menu for the Movie you want to edit and choose Edit Title Wink

It can´t be done automatic
Hi there,

the way blue ray players send a Full HD 3D picture to the TV is in deed Frame Packing. It has a total resolution of 1920 x 2205 pixels (see here) and is well defined in HDMI 1.4a standard... But since XBMC and/or video drivers do not support these huge resolutions the only way to display 3d content atm is using the 1080p resolution which means that you loose half of the content per picture(like in half SBS).

Can someone of the development team tell us whether this is right or not? And: Is there a chance that xbmc will support a way of sending proper 3D images via HDMI 1.4a?
Hi guys (because yo seem to know so much).

I just want to make sure BEFORE I break down and buy a 3D projector...

1. XBMC can indeed play 3D SBS (half) movies (even if the quality must be slightly reduced)
2. Looks like your HTPC can play FULL 3D SBS movies if you get the right software? (not xbmc)
3. I need to make sure the 3D projector (Optoma HD33 in this case) has a setting for SBS movies.

Are these three thoughts correct? (if so I will proceed)

Also, as 3D must go through hdmi and I am going to a projector. Will I still be able to get audio out through a fiber optic wire to my stereo? Or will sound ONLY go thought the hdmi?

Thanks! Smile
1. Yes, 3D SBS (half) is just a regular 1080p video. The TV (or projector) splits each frame into two frames (ie. 3D) so XBMC, your video card, etc, doesn't need to even know it's 3D.

2. Windows (nVidia; and probably ATI?) can definitely output "FULL 3D". (I'm assuming you are referring to HDMI 1.4 frame-packing 3D [ie. the same as Bluray 3D]) There is some software for Linux that appears to support this but I haven't researched it into. XBMC cannot output an HDMI 1.4 3D signal though.

3. Yes, your projector absolutely needs to have support for "Side-by-Side" 3D movies. There is no way for a TV/projector to know a movie is SBS so you will have to manually switch to this mode every time.

You can also configure XBMC (and Alsa; not sure about PulseAudio) to output video via HDMI and audio via Toslink. I was doing this type of setup for a very long time.

Hope that helps!
SofaKng Wrote:1. Yes, 3D SBS (half) is just a regular 1080p video. The TV (or projector) splits each frame into two frames (ie. 3D) so XBMC, your video card, etc, doesn't need to even know it's 3D.

2. Windows (nVidia; and probably ATI?) can definitely output "FULL 3D". (I'm assuming you are referring to HDMI 1.4 frame-packing 3D [ie. the same as Bluray 3D]) There is some software for Linux that appears to support this but I haven't researched it into. XBMC cannot output an HDMI 1.4 3D signal though.

3. Yes, your projector absolutely needs to have support for "Side-by-Side" 3D movies. There is no way for a TV/projector to know a movie is SBS so you will have to manually switch to this mode every time.

You can also configure XBMC (and Alsa; not sure about PulseAudio) to output video via HDMI and audio via Toslink. I was doing this type of setup for a very long time.

Hope that helps!

YES! That helped immensely! Thank you. I have no problem experimenting, I just didn't want to shell out that kind of money and then find out I could not do it at all! I just wanted to make sure I "could" do it. Now that I know, I can get the stuff and start messing around. Smile

Any quick tip on a viewer for watching FULL 3D off my HTPC? I am assuming the half 3D setup on XBMC is still pretty good, but I may want to check it out!
One more question actually... If I am ONLY going to have a HTPC running XBMC hooked up to this projector, do you think I could buy a projector that handles ONLY PC 3D and still be able to watch 3D movies off the XBMC? Or would I still have to buy a projector that handles FULL 3D?

I ask because there is about a $1,000 difference. I would hate to spend the extra $1,000 and realize I never even use that feature!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D Full SBS (3840x1080)... Success!0