AlphaDog Wrote:It looks to me like combustd can't find the amBX device. When I connect the wallthing with USB, it starts flashing non-stop, so its working.
I have the exact same issue, different set up.
I have a slightly modified Kubuntu 11.04 64-bit. 16gigs ram, and 8 amBX standing lights with 4 of the 'backlight' parts. Used to have it set up on an old Windows computer, but packed them away when I decided that I wanted to burn the thing as a sacrifice to the gods of linux/bsd (plus I just hated the instability of the thing, no matter what I did to it).
Got all the software installed as per the front post, no issues there.
I then hooked up just one set of lights+backlight to the system, and they just blink. Hooked up one of the speaker lights instead and I have found this:
- Sound plays for about 1 second, then quiet for about 2 seconds
- Lights blink (quickly fade in and then out) about a half second before the 1 second of sound works.
- Repeats that endlessly until the USB is unplugged.
Tried plugging it straight into the main system, into a USB hub, into the USB hub built into my monitor, same results in all cases.
If I plug the USB into my phones USB adaptor then the lights come on once and go off, sound then works (as the sound is still plugged into the computer), but I cannot very well use my phone as a passthrough for this.
I have quite a number of USB devices plugged into the 3 USB root hubs on my computer (two are USB2 and one is USB3, tried them all) and no issues with any other devices. Tried known working ports, tried unplugging everything from a root hub and trying amBX on just that one, all to no avail, just constant blinking when plugged in.
If I try to start boblightd at the exact right second (about a half second after the lights blink) then it recognizes it and then spits this out:
/usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/../../libcombustd/communication/ambx.rb:55:in `usb_claim_interface': Bad file descriptor - usb_claim_interface (Errno::EBADF)
from /usr/local/combustd/applications/boblight/../../libcombustd/communication/ambx.rb:55:in `open'
If I try to start boblightd at any other time it just states "Unable to find a ambx device". Other than the wonderful grammar of the error, it does indicate that the lights seems to be losing communication with the Linux USB system, although it does successfully connect. Unsure what could be causing that however.