This is mostly a question for Dushmaniac, but I figure there are a lot of ppl wondering the same.
I see on the XBMC road map that XBMC 12 (Frodo) will be the "PVR" build. It looks like there are a lot of exciting new features on the horizon, and I'm wondering when the existing PVR branch is going to get merged into the nightly build code.
Right now I'm using MediaPortal TV Server on a Windows machine as my back end, but I'm hoping that the official XBMC PVR will allow me to cut out that middle-man. I'm hoping that I can get a little more clarity on what's planned.
Currently my setup is utilizing as much functionality as I can figure out how to configure:
- MediaPortal Backend
- Live TV menu option which lives completely separate from my Videos menu within XBMC
- Recordings which don't easily integrate into my library (unless I tag, move, and re-scan)
- No Timeshifting
- No Series scheduling
- Complex process on my MediaPortal server to pull a good EPG nightly
- No easy way to configure coloring for categories within my EPG
Ideally, I'd love for XBMC to get to this point:
- No extra backend software needed. XBMC could pull directly from my HD Homerun tuners and the DVR functionality could be configured directly within XBMC
- No more Live TV standalone menu....would love this to be integrated into my Videos menu where I see a sub-menu for Live TV, TV Shows, Movies, etc.
- Recordings which can be configured with a name schema, then have metadata scraped. They would then seamlessly integrate into the Videos library in the appropriate location. I believe this is the whole universal front-end concept.
- Please enable reliable timeshifting. This is the single biggest current gap!
- Series scheduling would be awesome. More sophisticated series scheduling (where it looks for only new episodes, or actually looks for the name of the show instead of a straight-up recurring time slot) would be even sweeter
- Have XBMC offer a reliable and easy-to-configure EPG pull - is this even possible?
- Enable an easier way for the EPG to color by show category (without having to go to an XML config file)
I realize that some of these features are major re-works and coding additions, but I'm just looking for some clarity on what is planned. Will there be a lot more people working on the PVR development once it's integrated into the main branch? Also - a way to cut commercials out of recorded over-the-air programming would be a killer feature....maybe an add-on?
The PVR branch is working out great for me so far (I've finally cut the cable), so thanks very much for the work that's been done already!