• 46(current)
[WIP] Metropolis skin
Hi,

I just started using this theme, and great work really like it a lot.

Using XBMCbuntu Eden.

The info and pause screen when playing movies and tv shows seems to be too narrow at the top of the screen.

I have noticed in the screenshot gallery that top bar is much higher. In mine the genre and plot overwrites each other.

I have checked for a setting that might do this. the only one I could find is this,

I originally had the Use Slim seekbar enabled. I have disabled it and found no difference. I have even tried uninstalling the skin and reinstalling. but it stays the same. Any tips that might help?

Also when watching a TV show there is no image in lower left corner of info screen, most skins show the screencap/fanart. Is this normal or is something set wrong on my skin? (worked the solution to this out, enabling show thumbnails in OSD, but still can't get the top bar in OSD to show genre/plot correctly Sad )

(2012-04-07, 23:25)jingai Wrote: knewknow, I just realized it's not an option to select it when you're using the Icon view.

Do you have any of the home window items hidden? If you do, can you try it without hiding any of them? I've noticed that if any of them are hidden, it causes the left-most item to flicker when scrolling right. I don't see a slowdown, but it may be related.

-j

Ok, I'll give it a try tonight/tomorrow... Easter is keeping me away from my xbmc until then Smile
(2012-04-08, 16:41)elsker Wrote: Also when watching a TV show there is no image in lower left corner of info screen, most skins show the screencap/fanart. Is this normal or is something set wrong on my skin?

There's a setting. Unfortunately I can't check where it is right now, but look or the option ... You can choose poster, logo, or clearart if I remember correctly.
(2012-04-08, 02:34)boccman Wrote: When i view the info screen for TV shows, the image on the left is pulling the banner and is all smushed together. What image is it pulling? banner.jpg or folder.jpg?

It's using whatever you initially scraped when adding your TV library. I use the view that contains both banners and posters and had to "prefer posters" in my initial library pull to have everything looking proper. Unfortunately you'll probably have to re-scrape your TV shows (unless there's a better way that someone can shed some light on).

(2012-04-08, 16:58)knewknow Wrote:
(2012-04-08, 02:34)boccman Wrote: When i view the info screen for TV shows, the image on the left is pulling the banner and is all smushed together. What image is it pulling? banner.jpg or folder.jpg?

It's using whatever you initially scraped when adding your TV library. I use the view that contains both banners and posters and had to "prefer posters" in my initial library pull to have everything looking proper. Unfortunately you'll probably have to re-scrape your TV shows (unless there's a better way that someone can shed some light on).

As a quick follow up to this... can an option be added that allows posters.jpg be used?

I don't mean to ask too much of the developers, I'm just really excited about this skin and just a few tweaks will make it perfect Smile. I have never looked into skinning these myself, but if it'll help, I can start looking into adding a few features. If no one is opposed that is...

Thanks again.
(2012-04-08, 16:41)elsker Wrote: The info and pause screen when playing movies and tv shows seems to be too narrow at the top of the screen.

I have noticed in the screenshot gallery that top bar is much higher. In mine the genre and plot overwrites each other.

This is fixed in git. You'll see it in the next release.

-j
(2012-04-08, 16:58)knewknow Wrote: As a quick follow up to this... can an option be added that allows posters.jpg be used?

I don't mean to ask too much of the developers, I'm just really excited about this skin and just a few tweaks will make it perfect Smile. I have never looked into skinning these myself, but if it'll help, I can start looking into adding a few features. If no one is opposed that is...

Posters are the default thumbnails that are scraped. They are stored internally and thus there is no need to store the file externally as well.

I personally use the "Banner Poster" view for my TV Shows and it definitely looks correct. Poster on the left, and it uses banner.jpg from the show's folder on the HDD for the banners.

I think other skins could change the default behavior and force XBMC to store the banners internally instead of the posters. If you scanned your library this way, you might need to rescan, unfortunately.

-j
(2012-04-08, 10:37)kulprit Wrote: Thanks jingai, I did see something else that could be improved.

When using recently added tv, which is probably the most used of the whole program for us, it looks very nice in fanart list. However it only shows the episode name until you actually highlight the episode. It would be nice if when using fanart list, just within recently added tv, that it had the show name as well as the episode name.

I've made a note of this and will see what I can do.

-j
(2012-04-07, 23:25)jingai Wrote: Posters are the default thumbnails that are scraped. They are stored internally and thus there is no need to store the file externally as well.

Banners are the default thumbnails no? I have to select "prefer posters" in the TV scraping options under settings, otherwise it will pull the banners.

The reason for storing posters and banners externally and having an option to allow the skin to pull them is that you can replace the jpg files easily with custom artwork within each show folder.
(2012-04-08, 18:38)knewknow Wrote:
(2012-04-07, 23:25)jingai Wrote: Posters are the default thumbnails that are scraped. They are stored internally and thus there is no need to store the file externally as well.

Banners are the default thumbnails no? I have to select "prefer posters" in the TV scraping options under settings, otherwise it will pull the banners.

Oh, yeah, you're right. I've had that option selected for years and just forgot about it.

I'll add an option to use external poster.jpg to the settings. Not today, but soon Smile

In the meantime, you could set Prefer Posters and rescan to get the result you want, obviously.

-j
Ok. I dont mind rescraping my TV shows and changing that setting. But i have all of my data and images stored on my NAS with EMM. Am i understanding this correctly in that...the skin doesnt pull the locally stored 'poster.jpg' or 'folder.jpg' and that when first importing your TV shows that it redownloads the banner or poster and stores them internally?
(2012-04-08, 20:24)boccman Wrote: Ok. I dont mind rescraping my TV shows and changing that setting. But i have all of my data and images stored on my NAS with EMM. Am i understanding this correctly in that...the skin doesnt pull the locally stored 'poster.jpg' or 'folder.jpg' and that when first importing your TV shows that it redownloads the banner or poster and stores them internally?

That's correct.

As I noted, I will also add an option in Metropolis to use the external poster.jpg if you tell it to. But you'd have to wait for Stoli's next release of the skin to see this change.

-j
(2012-04-08, 20:42)jingai Wrote:
(2012-04-08, 20:24)boccman Wrote: Ok. I dont mind rescraping my TV shows and changing that setting. But i have all of my data and images stored on my NAS with EMM. Am i understanding this correctly in that...the skin doesnt pull the locally stored 'poster.jpg' or 'folder.jpg' and that when first importing your TV shows that it redownloads the banner or poster and stores them internally?

That's correct.

As I noted, I will also add an option in Metropolis to use the external poster.jpg if you tell it to. But you'd have to wait for Stoli's next release of the skin to see this change.

-j

That sounds great...Thanks..
Firstly, I've got to say what a lovely skin this is Smile

I wondered if it would be possible instead of having recently added episodes on the homepage, would it be possible to have ongoing TV shows as an option?

Cheers
(2012-04-07, 23:25)jingai Wrote: knewknow, I just realized it's not an option to select it when you're using the Icon view.

Do you have any of the home window items hidden? If you do, can you try it without hiding any of them? I've noticed that if any of them are hidden, it causes the left-most item to flicker when scrolling right. I don't see a slowdown, but it may be related.

-j

I removed the hidden items and now it's perfectly smooth. Is this fix in your latest jingai?

Thanks... (btw, I already replied to this and I don't see my post anywhere. Hopefully I'm not double posting here... Tapatalk.. sigh)

(2012-04-09, 00:17)knewknow Wrote:

I removed the hidden items and now it's perfectly smooth. Is this fix in your latest jingai?

No, but I know what the problem is. If you care, the Icon view is an XBMC control type "wraplist". It appears it has trouble if you hide any of the items in the list. If I change it to "fixedlist" (which is the same view, but doesn't wrap) it works fine. So I'm inclined to call this one a bug in XBMC.

knew know Wrote:(btw, I already replied to this and I don't see my post anywhere. Hopefully I'm not double posting here... Tapatalk.. sigh)

My posts frequently go missing too on the new forum software. It might have something to do with how it tries to group posts together (which I also don't like).

-j
can you create a horizontal menu that used the the words like in the vertical i know you have a horizontal menu already but would prefer easy to read Section titles rather than icons so have it say

VIDEO MOVIES TV SHOWS etc....

(2012-04-08, 10:37)kulprit Wrote: When using recently added tv, which is probably the most used of the whole program for us, it looks very nice in fanart list. However it only shows the episode name until you actually highlight the episode. It would be nice if when using fanart list, just within recently added tv, that it had the show name as well as the episode name.

I just had a look at this and I don't see an immediately obvious way of determining within the skin that you're in the RecentlyAddedEpisodes sub-section. Stoli or some other dev might know better than I do though.

Honestly though, I'm inclined to tell you to just pick another view that presents the information in the way you want. But I'll just leave this one for Stoli and he can decide what to do, if anything.

-j
(2012-04-09, 21:21)jingai Wrote: I just had a look at this and I don't see an immediately obvious way of determining within the skin that you're in the RecentlyAddedEpisodes sub-section.
The visible condition for Recently Added Episodes I recently discovered (thanks to Eddage) is:

Code:
[SubString(Container.FolderPath,videodb://5/)+!SubString(ListItem.Episode,S)+!IsEmpty(ListItem.Title) + Container.Content(episodes)]

So, if you go thru the ItemLayout & FocusedLayout sections of the Fanart List, you would want to find "$INFO[ListItem.Label]" (2 instances) and add that condition. Then look for "$INFO[ListItem.Episode]$INFO[ListItem.Title,. ]" (2 instances also) and exclude that condition.

Just tested it on my PC & it works like a charm. This also works great for getting the TV Show poster to display properly for recently added episodes in the Low List view as well as the Video Info from within recently added episodes.

Let me know if you want me to go into more detail & I can help later. Big Grin
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Metropolis skin5