• 39(current)
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
I just created a new PPA for those of you that wish to stay with Eden stable + PVR + Xvba:
ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-eden

The reason behind this is that development continues with lots of stuff going on upstream and also on xvba itself.
We will continue to only release tested builds(by us only) to the default ppa (xbmc-xvba) just as we did up to now, nonetheless they might and probably will contain bugs.

We'd appreciate you staying on the default ppa and helping us out with broader testing, but you have a choice now.
Earlier in this thread I cheered for getting this guide working on my setup, but maybe I cheered too early. It works pretty flawlessly up to the point that I go from the video player back into the menus (doesn't matter whether video is still playing or not). As soon as I start a new video, or perhaps go back to the video I was watching, it starts skipping frames backwards and forwards.

The problem has, I think, very much the same symptoms as described this ticket.

I could provide logs if needed, but at first I'm wondering if anybody has seen something like this with XVBA?
(2012-04-13, 20:38)wsnipex Wrote: I just created a new PPA for those of you that wish to stay with Eden stable + PVR + Xvba:

Wsnipex, can we use JUST the ppa without doing the 'from scratch' steps? Right now I have a clean install of Eden on a AMD A-3400 system. Everything seems to work pretty well, including 1080p via VAAPI. What will I gain by going with XvBA?
(2012-04-14, 17:02)sireone Wrote: r

Wsnipex, can we use JUST the ppa without doing the 'from scratch' steps? Right now I have a clean install of Eden on a AMD A-3400 system. Everything seems to work pretty well, including 1080p via VAAPI. What will I gain by going with XvBA?

I use xvba a4 3400 on xubuntu32 desktop. I tried vaapi and 720p 60fps could not keep up. This branch fixed that for me. Or cpu load went through the roof. Enable debugging in system settings on screen during playback to see for urself. Make sure it runs the correct fps for source fps reported in mediainfo. You can see cpu load too. With bios tweeks and frys citi pico power supply. Xubuntu desktop idles 16 watts. Xbmc idles 26 watts and 1080 p or 720p60 22 watts on playback. On killawatt plug meter. Xvba branch seems to correctly offload decoding to driver/ a4 by dropping watts in playback. I am very sensitive to poor playback. If frame rate is off it is very twitchy for me on my lcd. Xvba branch fixed this for me. Idle cpu load is 0 and 0.1. Low Watts and low load are important to keep htpc quiet and prevent overheating in a small case. My cpu load on playback is now 15%ish both cores 720p60, 7% both 1080p24. You can see if ur system runs close to decide if it is worth changing. As long as your numbers improve or it fixes playback then it is worth it. But if it aint broke then why fix it. Those are my reasons for switching. Good luck
(2012-04-14, 15:07)gsjosh Wrote: Earlier in this thread I cheered for getting this guide working on my setup, but maybe I cheered too early. It works pretty flawlessly up to the point that I go from the video player back into the menus (doesn't matter whether video is still playing or not). As soon as I start a new video, or perhaps go back to the video I was watching, it starts skipping frames backwards and forwards.

The problem has, I think, very much the same symptoms as described this ticket.

I could provide logs if needed, but at first I'm wondering if anybody has seen something like this with XVBA?

Yes, please provide a log.
In case you have enabled dirty regions, can you set algorithmdirtyregions to 3.
(2012-04-14, 17:02)sireone Wrote:
(2012-04-13, 20:38)wsnipex Wrote: I just created a new PPA for those of you that wish to stay with Eden stable + PVR + Xvba:

Sure, you can just enable the ppa on any kind of install you want, as long as you have catalyst >=11.11
If vaapi is working well for you then you probably won't gain anything.

Nice one. I installed:

Xubuntu 12.04 Beta 2 + updates
Jockey default AMD driver
XBMC from above ppa

And it works out of the box on Zotac Fusion A350M.

I ran VAAPI version on Xubuntu 11.10 before, but this one works better with OSD (Video while browsing menus was more choppy with VAAPI version).
Try Xubuntu. It's the new Ubuntu.
due to all of the gits ppa's etc etc, is it a suggestions to name the xbmc xbva package from xbmc to xbmc-xbva so all needed dependancies are correct and are easy to setup.

for me in example, using debian ( wheezy )
i create xbmc xbva package, and put this on my server.
I also need the debian multimedia packages ( which alos contains xbmc package but newer )
For me this is not a problem because i understand the pinning preferences.
But for newbies it makes it easier to get the correct packages at install.

als, a thing mayby some people can test this also.
On Debian Wheezy, playing music stream i have about 50-80% cpuload ( at 800Mhz ) which is normal.
The same install, same packages, but on ubuntu
12.04 playing the same mp3 stream, cpuload 100-150% at 1280/1600Mhz
XBMCbuntu is the same also tested.

On every thing i test, ubuntu uses (lots) more cputime, and feels sluggie, are there other people whom tested this,
Please let me know.
(2012-04-14, 22:14)wsnipex Wrote: Sure, you can just enable the ppa on any kind of install you want, as long as you have catalyst >=11.11
If vaapi is working well for you then you probably won't gain anything.

Cool, Well it seems that the release version of Eden automatically installs the AMD Radeon driver version 11.11 (fglrx-updates). So at this point all I would need is the ppa correct?

Code:
xbmc@ceres:/etc$ sudo apt-cache policy fglrx-updates
fglrx-updates:
  Installed: 2:8.911-0ubuntu0.1
  Candidate: 2:8.911-0ubuntu0.1
  Version table:
*** 2:8.911-0ubuntu0.1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/restricted i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:8.881-0ubuntu6 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/restricted i386 Packages
correct, you only need to add the ppa.
Is it possible that the xvba branch is incompatible with the dual audio patch? (perhaps you made some important changes to the files that get replaced by the audio patch?). Reason for asking is because I have problems compiling a build with both xvba support and the dual audio patch (see the link for more information).
You cannot just replace files, you need to merge or apply a patch. Then resolve conflicts if there are any.
I just tried to merge the files in git but I can't seem to get it to work. I guess all the 'merge' does is just replacing the files like I did earlier. What it should do (I guess..) is combining the files to a new file that has both the xvba and dual audio source code. But I can't figure out how to do that.

Edit:
I think I managed to get it to work. I used the patch file which can be found here to patch the xvba branch. While compiling it still gave some strange output (errors?) but everything seems to be working.
I'm still curious though if there is any other way to do what I want?
Hi, since a a few weeks I have some issues with my xbmc build --> xvba PVR from this thread.

The issue comes foward when I switch from a video file to another video file or when i switch from a music file to a video file.

After I've played a Video (codec does not matter) and make a quick switch to a new video I get a scrambled image on my screen and the system gets very slow. Everything start running through the screen (Live TV, previous Video en the "just started Video").

When I press STOP the system will go back to normal and I'am able to start the video normal (again). A reboot does not solve the problem (tried that many times)

Can someone help me with this issue?

Here's a crashlog from a fews week ago. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3523108/xbmc_cra...224758.log

*edit*
Made a video of the issue http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3523108/2012-04-....45.40.mov
I'm having some issues with one TV show. Every other movie, show or live TV plays fine but this one gives strange artifacts while playing. This is the media info for the file:
http://pastebin.com/GcCT6tGt

And this is the xbmc.log (file starts playing at 15:08:26 )
http://pastebin.com/vF28zNme

I'm using fglrx 8.911.
All of the episodes from this particular TV show season have the same problem.[/code]
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs23