[EDEN] Hide watched in files menu
Hi,

I'm just testing Eden here (99% working nicely and I love the horizontal screen layout). One problem though - the hide watched option.

In Dharma, there is no Hide Watched option in the files menu, whereas there is in the Movies menu. This means I can have my movies library show me only the files that I haven't seen whilst access the whole library (both watched and unwatched) through the Files menu.

This is important as the kids know how to access their movies (which as kids they watch over and over) through the files menu whilst we can access only the ones we haven't watched through the Movies menu. The problem with the new way of working is that we'll have to keep swapping between the two and there will be times when we forget to do this.

Can we have the old way of working back or at least make them separate switches between files and movies?
I would recommend a smart playlist instead, then you can sort out the movies for the kids nicer also.
If you find any spelling mistakes you can keep them ;)
The Hide Watched also gets applied to Smart Playlists. I could create Smart Playlists for all the views I want to see and then ignore the Hide Watched flag, but that seems an awful lot of effort (not to mention the fact that you get more levels of indirection) for what appears to be a fairly simple feature that has been dropped....
It's a feature that's been added: Watched always was a global option, the bug was that it didn't apply to files view.

Several solutions for you, starting with a single smartplaylist for movie titles that aren't watched, then turn off the watched flag completely will do the trick.

If you don't deem that suitable, then setup a new profile for the kids (share the library) and then just turn off watched in that profile.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:It's a feature that's been added: Watched always was a global option, the bug was that it didn't apply to files view.

Several solutions for you, starting with a single smartplaylist for movie titles that aren't watched, then turn off the watched flag completely will do the trick.

If you don't deem that suitable, then setup a new profile for the kids (share the library) and then just turn off watched in that profile.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thanks for replying.

The smartplaylist isn't ideal: it means I have to setup a playlist for each view I want and then replicate them over the 5 xbmc's I have here. The real problem is I essentially use the files view to view everything, the library view to browse the files I haven't seen. Now the "movies" view and the "TV shows" view are essentially redundant for me and I'll just have to implement them via a smart playlist. What's worse is that if you have movies in individual files, the directories appear (we have everything setup so that all you have to do is press play on the directory and it plays the film) but the system sees nothing in them. The whole point to me of files view is to be able to browse the files WITHOUT worrying about the library contents. If you want the library contents, go into movies...

Whilst I can see you could see it as a bug from your viewpoint, I think it's a big step backwards that I'm going to have to "sell" to the family.
I'd like to plus one this, I too am greatly missing the unwatched TV shows & Movie view and the everything files view in Videos. But it should be an easy fix in the Home.xml. I just can't seem to find a documentation for the unwatched toggle. Anybody out there have any ideas?
there is a bug in the code according to another post when clicking the hide watched in the video area, and I believe these things should be straightened out before calling it a stable release. just my 2 cents worth.
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

(2012-04-15, 01:08)wilson.joe Wrote: there is a bug in the code according to another post when clicking the hide watched in the video area, and I believe these things should be straightened out before calling it a stable release. just my 2 cents worth.
Can you provide a link to that post describing the bug?

I also think it should be an easy "fix" in the skin, but I don't know where to start to look for it...

Thanks

Quote:I also think it should be an easy "fix" in the skin, but I don't know where to start to look for it...

Funny how people who don't know where to look - always think it's an easy fix
Noli illegitimi carborundum

(2012-04-15, 14:55)Mudislander Wrote: Funny how people who don't know where to look - always think it's an easy fix
As a one-time-long-ago software developer, the fix feels that it should just be a database lookup flag (you're either returning the whole list or a subset of the whole list depending on how this flag is set). Also as a one-time-long-ago software developer, I briefly looked at the code, and didn't know where to start without spending a while understanding how skinning works Wink

It still feels like an easy fix TBH, it's just that from jmarshalls post, the desired functionality appears to him as a bug that is now fixed so won't be changed back to how it was.
Search for the other post about this issue and find further information there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sorry in advance for dredging up an old thread, but I just recently ran into this myself and would like to offer up another possible solution:

Maybe we could add a flag (per playlist) to the Smart Playlist Editor to enable it to force display of watched items, regardless of the global parameter? If the flag is set, the context menu item could be grayed out or omitted when viewing that playlist.

The example everyone uses is of course for Kids movies/shows, as kids tend to watch the same stuff over and over. My 2 year old can manage to find her movies and shows via the link off the Home screen that says "Kids Shows" and "Kids Movies," but showing her how to switch profiles would be a bit much, I think.

If nothing else, there is still a bug -- IMHO -- in XBMC wherein if you fire off a Playlist that is empty (because all of the items are watched) you cannot get to the context menu to turn it off. I'm fairly certain this isn't a skin issue, as I've tried it in Confluence, Aeon Nox, and Metropolis. All require that you back out of the playlist, find a non-empty playlist or go to the library, and then you can toggle it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[EDEN] Hide watched in files menu1