Resolution changes when switching TV on/off
What is the problem with the Harmony? I once had a similar issue with respect to delays with my projector and just lengthened the delay between projector start up and the Denon coming on (it would switch input before the projector was ready). The Harmony delays are set in the devices menu for each device. I cannot remember if there is a maximum.
(2012-04-20, 10:14)jopie Wrote: What is the problem with the Harmony? I once had a similar issue with respect to delays with my projector and just lengthened the delay between projector start up and the Denon coming on (it would send switch input before the projector was ready). The Harmony delays are set in the devices menu for each device. I cannot remember if there is a maximum.

I played with all of the delays at great length extending each out to 2 seconds. I just couldn't get the startup sequence to work. (And have the remote usable for normal access)

Thinking about it... I could be tricky..
1) Add in another "set top box type" device to the harmony (Make sure I don't actually have this device and it wont interfere with the rest of my equipment)
2) Set the inter device delay of this new box to 3 seconds.
3) Put this device in between the TV and Mac mini startup sequence.

The harmony will then try to turn this "set top box type" device on during the startup. As the device has a large inter device delay it will slow down the startup of the other devices.

Might be sometime to try in the next few days.
A bit of further testing reveals that I can avoid the issue by turning the receiver off before the screen, and by turning the screen on before the receiver. This is while the Mini is on the entire time with XBMC running. A little annoying, since the screen has a bigger startup delay than the receiver.

I left the Mini on, but without XBMC running and the resolution changing issue is still there unless I follow my aforementioned sequence. Perhaps it is related to an OS X update along the line?
I have been having this problem and I think it may be related to the new HiDPI mode (960 x 540) in OS X Lion. For some reason my Mac Mini seems to prefer that resolution and will default to it at times, especially when turning the display back on while XBMC is running. I think this is due to the display being an HDTV and the OS assuming you want UI elements that are readable from across the room (they are very readable, the screen real estate is just too small).

I have disabled HiDPI mode and it seems to be working probably now, I'll update the thread if that changes.

You can disable the HiDPI mode using Quartz Debug, which is part of Xcode but now a separate download. You'll need to sign up for a free Apple Developer account to download Quartz Debug, Xcode can be downloaded from the App Store.

Matt

Good news...
I managed to figure it out and fix it on my system.

In my case the issue was caused by the hdmi port on the tv not being "ready" when the Mac mini wakes up. If the Mac mini wakes up before the hdmi port is ready the Mac seems to default to a very low resolution.

My Samsung tv takes about 9 seconds between pressing the power button and the hdmi port being ready.

All I did was to contact Logitech support and get them to insert a power on delay for my media centre. (in my case 11 seconds)

Now. The tv powers up.. Changes to the hdmi.. Takes about 9-10 seconds to get here...
Then the Mac mini turns on.. The screen flickers slightly as it rehandshakes with hdmi and it all works perfectly.

In my case I have no amp.. But I would expect you would get similar problems if the amp was not presenting an active port all the way to the tv. (depends if you are doing pass through or hdmi amp termination)

Anyway... Its easy to test... Just do a slow turn on of all your components with the Mac being the last to power up.

My config...
Mac Mini (2011)
TV: Samsung via HDMI 1 to Displayport. (PS50C6500)
Amp: Uses optical so not in the path
XBMC 11.0 (official)
Harmony One remote
This damn HDMI doesn't seem to be ready for the public *grrrr*.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-05-07, 16:14)mjreilly Wrote: I have been having this problem and I think it may be related to the new HiDPI mode (960 x 540) in OS X Lion. For some reason my Mac Mini seems to prefer that resolution and will default to it at times, especially when turning the display back on while XBMC is running. I think this is due to the display being an HDTV and the OS assuming you want UI elements that are readable from across the room (they are very readable, the screen real estate is just too small).

I have disabled HiDPI mode and it seems to be working probably now, I'll update the thread if that changes.

You can disable the HiDPI mode using Quartz Debug, which is part of Xcode but now a separate download. You'll need to sign up for a free Apple Developer account to download Quartz Debug, Xcode can be downloaded from the App Store.

Matt

Disabling the HiDPI resolutions worked for me as well. Thank you. :-)
Resurrecting a thread from the depths of bug hell.

Having this same issue on my 2011 Mac mini. Slightly different however as I'm running a HiDPI scaled resolution of 1366x768, so I'd rather not disable HiDPI, if that's indeed a fix.

After my Samsung TV powers off/sleeps for a bit, upon turning it back on, Kodi is tucked in the top left corner. Instead of my Mac mini & Kodi running at 1920x1080 (which I've set Kodi to do because 1366x768 is a HiDPI resolution and makes everything a pixellated mess), it's running at the scaled resolution of 2732x1536.

Anybody have any additional thoughts on this since 2012?
(2015-02-16, 01:20)SideStepSociety Wrote: Resurrecting a thread from the depths of bug hell.

Having this same issue on my 2011 Mac mini. Slightly different however as I'm running a HiDPI scaled resolution of 1366x768, so I'd rather not disable HiDPI, if that's indeed a fix.

After my Samsung TV powers off/sleeps for a bit, upon turning it back on, Kodi is tucked in the top left corner. Instead of my Mac mini & Kodi running at 1920x1080 (which I've set Kodi to do because 1366x768 is a HiDPI resolution and makes everything a pixellated mess), it's running at the scaled resolution of 2732x1536.

Anybody have any additional thoughts on this since 2012?

You could try a HDMI Detective to prevent the TV from losing the HDMI info. I had to use one to deal with an issue I was having with handshakes between my mac mini and Onkyo receiver.
I am having a similar issue but just want to clarify in case it makes a difference. For me, I use a Sony Vaio laptop plugged into surround, run to the tv. Now the resolution of the computer itself is not a problem. When it all boots, the computer display and tv are correct but Kodi itself drops to about 75% display (right side and bottom are just missing). Again, I see the entirety of the desktop still being displayed but it's almost as though Kodi froze. I do use a Logitech Harmony remote and for now I just memorized how many button clicks it takes to get to settings, display and change resolution. Once changed between full screen to windowed and then back it's fine, but otherwise every time I switch everything on (even manually turning tv on over a minute before surround and vice versa, it does the same thing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution changes when switching TV on/off1