[Linux] [XBMCBuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 based build
Now that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been release, how long before we get a XBMCbuntu build that has it as a base?

I have read its solved a number of instability problems with the 11.* builds, especially the video streams failing to start. (which affected me too)
patience is a virtue...
Any idea?

A week, a month?
I do not think the dev team will spend its time on building a new version of the live CD every time an Ubuntu release comes out. It's not as simple as just dropping in one ISO for another. I might be mistaken, of course.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
You could try:

sudo do-release-upgrade

Not sure if this will work for xbmcbuntu and it could break your system...
(2012-04-27, 00:37)teeedubb Wrote: You could try:

sudo do-release-upgrade

Not sure if this will work for xbmcbuntu and it could break your system...
I wouldn't advise that. Whole distribution upgrades have a nasty habit of breaking things. Is there a particular reason the OP wants to upgrade to Precise? There's always the minimal Ubuntu install and then install XBMC afterward. There are threads devoted to that.
Probably because of the freezing problem with vdpau enabled mentioned here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119855

Everything seems to point towards 11.10 being the culprit, since a few people upgraded to 12.04 and got rid of the freezing that way.
(2012-04-26, 15:07)mineral4x Wrote: Now that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been release, how long before we get a XBMCbuntu build that has it as a base?

I have read its solved a number of instability problems with the 11.* builds, especially the video streams failing to start. (which affected me too)

This is something we're really working on.
Great news. Thanks erhnam!
(2012-04-27, 00:33).:B:. Wrote: I do not think the dev team will spend its time on building a new version of the live CD every time an Ubuntu release comes out. It's not as simple as just dropping in one ISO for another. I might be mistaken, of course.

Ubuntu 12.04 is not just a "simple release", but an LTS (i.e. Long Term Support) - only released every 2 years & are the more "stable" OS's out of the bunch.
Because I want my HTPC (& other/production systems) to be a stable system, it's still running on the last LTS, 10.04, so I'll be upgrading my XBMC to the XBMCbuntu once it's released.

I would expect it to come out in a few weeks, maybe.
I would be surprised to see a new xbmcbuntu based upon the LTS come out. I would have expected the team wait a couple more months and release xbmcbuntu on the same schedule as the LTS. To me, it makes more sense releasing it on the LTS that gets an update every now and than instead of something that lasts for 6 months.

Don't do a xbmcbuntu upgrade to LTS from the command line with the do-release-upgrade. It killed my nvidia driver. I'm working on fixing it, but don't expect it to go smoothly.
wiz561: I agree.
I was also surprised when the last XBMCbuntu was recently released; about a week/month before the 12.04 LTS came out.

Since this is a .0 release (12.04.0), it wouldn't surprise me that the new XBMCbuntu would only be available with the .1 release (12.04.1), since that release generally sorts out all the "little issues", like the odd driver-incompatibilities or application-stability.
In the meantime, I blew my xbmcbuntu install away and installing 12.04 LTS server onto my ion2 box. I'll have to configure everything by hand, which is a PITA, but I'm hoping it fixes all these little stability issues.
Video Working: Check
Remote Working: Check
Audio Working: Check
Sleep Working: Check

Surprisingly, the wipe and reinstall with 12.04 and doing everything by hand wasn't that hard. The hardest thing was the soundcard, which I had to change the 'custom' string to something else. This time, it's hw:1,7. Who knows. Every install it's different.

Other than that, I think pretty much everything else worked out of the box. I'm glad I did it, and I hope that it fixes the stability and other issues I had....

(2012-05-01, 02:44)wiz561 Wrote: Video Working: Check
Remote Working: Check
Audio Working: Check
Sleep Working: Check
Surprisingly, the wipe and reinstall with 12.04 and doing everything by hand wasn't that hard. The hardest thing was the soundcard, which I had to change the 'custom' string to something else. This time, it's hw:1,7. Who knows. Every install it's different.
Other than that, I think pretty much everything else worked out of the box. I'm glad I did it, and I hope that it fixes the stability and other issues I had....

Hi wiz561
I read your issues on the other thread after the "do-release-upgrade".
I just understand that you fin a way to fix it .
I want to do the upgrade myself but fear the same failure as yours. I own a Packard Bell iMax C3600 (same as Acer Revo)

Could you please explain step by step want you did from the fresh install because I'm far for a linux/ubuntu expert

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] [XBMCBuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 based build1