Best Front End for XBMC?
I'll be purchasing a NAS in the next few months which will be used almost exclusively for media, and I was wondering what the best front end for XBMC would be. I was looking at the Apple TV 2, but unfortunately, the 2nd gen. is wayy overpriced from 3rd party sellers, and the 3rd gen isn't hackable yet. I don't have much to spend, especially since I already own a PS3, but the folder menu system is just too clunky for the amount of media I have. I was looking for something at under $200. Anyone have any suggestions?
If you're sure you can't spend more than $200, get a Apple TV1, install a crystal HD card, download crystalbuntu for free, and enjoy.

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-05-03, 06:32)maddog808 Wrote: If you're sure you can't spend more than $200, get a Apple TV1, install a crystal HD card, download crystalbuntu for free, and enjoy.

If I could spend more than $200, what would you recommend?
I run a Zotac Zbox with 2gb of memory, no hard drive, and boot OpenELEC from a 16gb flash drive. All my media is fed from my unraid server. I think it set me back all of 250 dollars recently. The version of the zbox that I purchased even came with a remote and an ir receiver, so it had everything ready to go. I'm not new to OpenELEC as I've used it in the past for systems for friends, but it's still stupid simple to get up and running in about 10 minutes tops. Plus, it just flat out works, and works really well. If you're just looking for an XBMC appliance type solution and don't need any other means of computing, that would be my recommendation.
(2012-05-03, 13:30)TRiddle Wrote: I run a Zotac Zbox with 2gb of memory, no hard drive, and boot OpenELEC from a 16gb flash drive. All my media is fed from my unraid server. I think it set me back all of 250 dollars recently. The version of the zbox that I purchased even came with a remote and an ir receiver, so it had everything ready to go. I'm not new to OpenELEC as I've used it in the past for systems for friends, but it's still stupid simple to get up and running in about 10 minutes tops. Plus, it just flat out works, and works really well. If you're just looking for an XBMC appliance type solution and don't need any other means of computing, that would be my recommendation.

+10
(2012-05-03, 12:39)nolegrl Wrote:
(2012-05-03, 06:32)maddog808 Wrote: If you're sure you can't spend more than $200, get a Apple TV1, install a crystal HD card, download crystalbuntu for free, and enjoy.

A6 3500 $75
Some mobo around $65 (or $90 if you need itx)
Case and psu around $70
Memory $20
If you can swing it, ~64gb SSD around $70, otherwise just any old HDD
(2012-05-03, 13:30)TRiddle Wrote: I run a Zotac Zbox with 2gb of memory, no hard drive, and boot OpenELEC from a 16gb flash drive. All my media is fed from my unraid server. I think it set me back all of 250 dollars recently. The version of the zbox that I purchased even came with a remote and an ir receiver, so it had everything ready to go. I'm not new to OpenELEC as I've used it in the past for systems for friends, but it's still stupid simple to get up and running in about 10 minutes tops. Plus, it just flat out works, and works really well. If you're just looking for an XBMC appliance type solution and don't need any other means of computing, that would be my recommendation.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was considering the Nettops, but the ones I had looked at (Acer) were all over 300+ and, to me, that's not cheap. I've never heard of that brand, but I found these two on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WO8...B004WO8O9Y

http://www.amazon.com/Zbox-Sff-Fusion-E3...4KHSRKUK48

I'm leaning towards the one with the hdd since it's not that much more so I can start/store torrents remotely. I'm not sure if a NAS will allow me to do that without a computer running. That's not something I was inititially looking for, but if I'm going to buy a $200 mini desktop, might as well use it for more than a media center.
(2012-05-03, 16:00)beetlesnack Wrote:
(2012-05-03, 12:39)nolegrl Wrote:

A6 3500 $75
Some mobo around $65 (or $90 if you need itx)
Case and psu around $70
Memory $20
If you can swing it, ~64gb SSD around $70, otherwise just any old HDD

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather buy something pre-built for that much money.
Just scored a refurb Apple TV 2 from Apple.com for $69! This was my preferred method (since it worked and was cheap), and I can't believe they went back in stock! Thank you for the suggestions everyone!
(2012-05-03, 18:24)nolegrl Wrote: Just scored a refurb Apple TV 2 from Apple.com for $69! This was my preferred method (since it worked and was cheap), and I can't believe they went back in stock! Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

link? i cant find it
Nas - qnap with the qpkg software installs for sickbeard. Sabnzbd. And couchpotato and many more.

You can get a 219 on amazon or ebay. Byod
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-05-03, 18:39)Predator04 Wrote:
(2012-05-03, 18:24)nolegrl Wrote: Just scored a refurb Apple TV 2 from Apple.com for $69! This was my preferred method (since it worked and was cheap), and I can't believe they went back in stock! Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

link? i cant find it

Unfortunately, it's out of stock again, but here's the link to the product page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC572LL/A. I used this site here to notify me: http://arsc.pommepause.com/. I subscribed to both the US and Canada ones, and I got an e-mail about both, but both sites appear to be out of stock again. It'll come up again, I'm sure. Good luck!
(2012-05-03, 18:55)nolegrl Wrote:
(2012-05-03, 18:39)Predator04 Wrote:

link? i cant find it

Unfortunately, it's out of stock again, but here's the link to the product page: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC572LL/A. I used this site here to notify me: http://arsc.pommepause.com/. I subscribed to both the US and Canada ones, and I got an e-mail about both, but both sites appear to be out of stock again. It'll come up again, I'm sure. Good luck!

Awesome! thank you!
Glad you found a good deal on the ATV. I personally run SAB, Sickbeard, CouchPotato, and Headphones from my unraid server, so I had no use for the internal hard drive, although an SSD might be in my future if I feel the need to speed up my OpenELEC install even more.
(2012-05-03, 18:47)bry- Wrote: Nas - qnap with the qpkg software installs for sickbeard. Sabnzbd. And couchpotato and many more.

You can get a 219 on amazon or ebay. Byod

I've decided on the Synology DS212 for my NAS. It does apparently have a remote torrent download feature included with the software, I didn't realize that till I started researching it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Front End for XBMC?0