Help with Sending/Streaming Media from PC to XBMC
So I have a XBMC (running v11 Eden) server which is hooked up to my TV. Ideally I want to right click a file on any computer in the network and say Open With...>XBMC Server or something like that. When that happens, XBMC will start receiving the stream of that file and playing it, regardless if that file is in a folder that's "shared" over the network or not. There isn't a lot of documentation (if any) on google or this forum relating to this other than streaming via UPnP. And in the settings it does say "Allow XBMC to be controlled via UPnP."

Is this possible? If not, is this an active ticket for future versions? If not, how do I talk to developers to get this rolling? IF NOT, could this be implemented via an addon?

Thanks guys!
(2012-05-11, 21:40)seesemichaelj Wrote: ... XBMC will start receiving the stream of that file and playing it, regardless if that file is in a folder that's "shared" over the network or not.
If the resource isn't designated as "shared" then, by design, it wouldn't be accessible to other systems on the network. That's not just for XBMC; that's an OS security feature.

That aside, you can certainly designate certain folders (i.e., the ones containing the music/video files you want XBMC to access) on each PC as shared resources. On the XBMC side, you can use the "Add source" option to add each of these remote shares as a Music or Video source. Exact details depend on which operating system(s) you are using on your various networked PCs.
(2012-05-11, 22:18)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-05-11, 21:40)seesemichaelj Wrote: ... XBMC will start receiving the stream of that file and playing it, regardless if that file is in a folder that's "shared" over the network or not.
If the resource isn't designated as "shared" then, by design, it wouldn't be accessible to other systems on the network. That's not just for XBMC; that's an OS security feature.

That aside, you can certainly designate certain folders (i.e., the ones containing the music/video files you want XBMC to access) on each PC as shared resources. On the XBMC side, you can use the "Add source" option to add each of these remote shares as a Music or Video source. Exact details depend on which operating system(s) you are using on your various networked PCs.

I understand the sharing concept. However if the program that was controlling XBMC would open a socket with the server, and just stream the video, it wouldn't have to be shared at that point. I was wondering if such a program could do that and if XBMC supported it.

I know that, and have that set up. That means I have to go on xbmc and then find the file and play it. And it also brings up the point if someone was only temporarily on the network (a guest comes over) and wants to play a video on my tv from his computer without having to plug a cable into the tv.

I was just wondering if there is any functionality with XBMC? If not I'll have to create some sort of addon to do it (like the Youtube addon!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Sending/Streaming Media from PC to XBMC0