Win [SOLVED] Help with xbox controller. Please!
Hello,

I've been tearing my hair out over this for ages now and finally giving up trying to work it out on my own.
I know this should be simple but for the life of me I can't get it working....

I'm running XBMC 11.0 on a Win7 box.
I had tried to get PS3 controller working and was mostly successful using MotionJoy and event-ghost, but have abandoned that because I don't want to have to "enable" the controller every time windows starts.

Now I am trying to get my xbox360 for windows controller (wired) to control XBMC.
I've copied someone's keymap (from here) and updated the controller name in there then placed it in my userdata folder, and also tried it in the keymaps folder.
I've confirmed that windows can use the controller, I've stopped Motion Joy and Event Ghost from running,

What am I doing wrong!?!

any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Wouldn't the 360 controller use the "joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.xml" file? So use that but change the name of the controller in the file if needed.
Thanks for your suggestion.
It was kind of helpful... Smile

It's not the content of the xml file which is a problem. button maps to action. etc.
But searching on the xml you suggested pointed me to the answer! I had the controller name wrong. :S

Solution:
======
I was looking at the windows controller name (in control panel)
What I should have been doing is looking at the controller name logged in the XBMC log file..

Thanks!
Glad you got it sorted.
Another new guy here, I can't seem to get my wireless xbox controller to work for the life of me.

I tried to copy the joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.xml from C:\Program Files (x86) >XBMC> system> keymaps and pasted the file to C:\>Users>Owner>AppData>Roaming>XBMC>userdata>keymaps

And a big nothing??

I also tried editing the joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.xml file to rename the <joystick name=xbox 360 wireless Receiver"> which is defualt to <joystick name="joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller">

Ughh Im frustrated any help would be appreciated.
You need to edit this line in the xml file:

Code:
<joystick name="Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)">

to read extactly what the xbmc log is detecting as a controller.
Perfect running great now. I knew I needed to replace the joystick name I just didn't know where to find it.
you have to search inside the XBMC log file pretty deep 13:14:30 T:1688 NOTICE: Enabled Joystick: Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)

I should have searched more thoroughly.

Thanks for the help Wink
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I've hit a wall on this problem.

I have attempted following all the instructions I can find, but I'm either misunderstanding something entirely or I'm doing something wrong

My specs are: Windows 7 (64-Bit). XBMC 12.0.

The steps I've taken to get my wired Xbox 360 controller to work are as follows:

1. Copied the joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.xml file from C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps
2. Pasted the file to \AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps
3. Checked the xbmc.log file to see how the controller is being detected - NOTICE: Enabled Joystick: Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)
4. Edited the xml file, changing all instances of "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver" to "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)"
5. Started XBMC

What's strange is that XBMC is definitely communicating with the controller, though not properly. Prior to following the steps above, XBMC did not react at all to any actions on the controller. After doing what I just mentioned, certain buttons will have an effect. The right analog stick controls the volume (unintuitively...pressing it to the right lowers the volume and vice versa) and the left trigger seems to scroll the menu all the way to the left. Beyond that, none of the buttons do anything at all as far as I can tell.

I did try searching for an answer to this, so my apologies if I'm covering old ground. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
First you need to make sure the name in the xml matches EXACTLY to what is shown in the log. The go thru the xml and see if the actions you do have the result you want.
Thanks for the reply kricker,

I edited my post just before you posted that reply to make clear that I did copy the name of the controller directly from the xbmc.log file. I then replaced every single instance of "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver" to "Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)"

So the xml lists all sorts of things the controller should be doing (e.g. button 13, which is left on the d-pad, should scroll the menu to the left. It doesn't). No idea why though...
Each XBMC "screen" can have actions associated with them. It has been a while since I have looked all the way thru the files, but start at the top with the defaults, then look thru each of the sections to see if the defaults are overridden with "screen" specific commands. I don't have an XBMC controller so I can't be of much more help.
Thanks once more for the reply, kricker

I think I see what you're getting at. Scanning through the xml, I can't understand any reason why that would be happening, but to be sure I tried stripping the xml down to its bare bones and seeing if it helped. It didn't.

My joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.xml pre-stripping looked like this: http://pastebin.com/KYxNSuKv

After taking out all but the global settings, I was left with: http://pastebin.com/7AKDGpYu

Restart xbmc...nothing has changed unfortunately.

I forgot to mention last time - the green "A" button and the red "B" button also seem functional (using both versions of the xml file) - nothing else though.
If you turn on debugging, can you see the input the controller gives XBMC and the resulting command that is issued?
Gamestop wired 360 Controller (blue & gray)
Named as : Controller (Gamepad)

Did a replace in beta.2.0.19.keymap.xbox.360.controller and it works only partially in Frodo RC3. Navigating XBMC works but playing a video I can only control volume and bring up the exit/power menu all other functions such as pause, stop, stepping etc. don't function.
EDIT: SOLVED! I feel stupid now, but in case other people wind up here with the same problem: go to Devices and run the calibration again on your game pad. It would be nice if there were a script or something that could adjust the deadzone around center, but a few runs at recalibration got the interface running smoothly for me.

This is the fourth time I've been linked back here. Old thread, but maybe someone will respond....

I am having the same issue that Inverted_youth had above. I am running XBMC in windows, trying to set up a wireless 360 controller. I opened the dubug log, got the exact controller name, found an XML with the correct name for the controller, and HORAY! it started to work. Solved right? Nope. As in the comment above, The A and B buttons work, but I get nothing from the left stick or the d-pad. As a result, in the main menu I can only use the trigger axis to move, and it spins me around the menu a couple of times, stopping on a random entry. Additionally, the right stick is constantly pushing in one direction or another so the volume is either maxed or muted.

I even tried to edit the keymap to switch the axis functionality to the d-pad (hat) and I failed utterly.
Please, this is the last piece of the puzzle to get my HTPC running correctly, any help would be awesome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Help with xbox controller. Please!0