• 3(current)
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)
Ok if you look at my first post on my build?

You installed catylast driver right? (for sound to come on HDMI it has the driver in it)

Coon N Quiet comes stock to ON

Yes the Target CPU stuff works wonders on mine (it will vary with your case most likely you have to play around with it)

I have updated my first page on my A6-PACK take a look....

Glad you like it!
Remember to share the memory to the apu in the bios set it at 512MB...

North Bridge Configuration
Primary Graphics Adapter : Onboard
Share Memory: 512
Onboard HDMI HD Audio: Enabled

also download the latest Catalyst Software Suite for your graphics..... http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/P...loads.aspx (you need this for it to work)

Catalyst Software Suite choose if you have x64 or x 32 version of windows....

I get my RPM's to 865 steady on windows!!!..... with my settings.... you should have a low RPM on your Big Shuriken....
(in bios it will go to almost full... it is not a good way to test...you have to test in windows) Remember to save your settings!

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

yup your should be low you have such more airflow.....

Let me know how low you get the RPM's

Try my settings please......

My settings on the bios are for the Target CPU temperature is 50c/122F
Target fan speed Level 1

with CPUID monitor ... I have the same on my other system with more airflow same thing....
Thanks Beer for all the "after action" clean-up recommendations!
I have to download the Catalyst Suite and install that tonight, and I'll also install the HWMonitor tool.

I did get the sound to work via HDMI, and the screen resolution figured out.
How,..I installed the latest ASRock Bios updates.
This also allowed one of my USB Wireless sticks to work.

I also installed XMBC v.11 Eden for Windows.
Tried playing a movie over wireless connection to my unRaid server.
Of course it stuttered 10 minutes in,...but I had to see it for myself. "Doubting Thomas" that I am.

Next up:
1- I'll be picking up a pair of Powerline adapters and see how they work.
2- Install Catalyst Suite
3- Install HWMonitor
4- Setup/Configure XBMC the way my trial computer was configured,..skins and such.
5- Test Movies over powerline

Questions:
- Obviously, my test playing a movie over wireless was unsuccessful, I noticed that is was playing it in SD. How will I be able to tell if a movie is playing HD (I know this may be a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. It's probably something obvious.)

- I noticed in another post that when a movie is playing through XBMC, you can press a key, that will bring up the movie stats?? What is that key??

- I played the Matrix via the BDROM,..looked great, but again,...not sure this was in HD?? How can I tell. My TV is 1080p capable.

- When playing the Matrix DVD, I noticed that I couldn't change the Aspect ratio from Wide to CinemaHuh Why?

So much to learn.....

Oh, I and I have pictures, will upload them shortly.

(2012-05-16, 14:36)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Oh, I and I have pictures, will upload them shortly.

So here are the pictures I promised:

I started top put this together and in my excitement,..I realized that I need to take pictures.
So as you can see I've got the case apart, the RAM in, the PSU in, and the CPU cooler temporarily sitting on the PSU.

Another view

and another

That keyboard is awesome!

Now the CPU Cooler is finally installed. That thing is amazing! and HUGE!! But it fits perfectly.

Side view

and more........

Lower now

without flash

back view

Figuring out the wiring and getting ready to pop in the MOBO.
Notice where I installed the SSD and see that the HDD is under the BDROM drive.
There was space to install another drive next to the HDD.

And, here's everything installed and the bracket back on the case.
Wiring could be better, but I found this to be really easy and I was extremely happy.
You should see the mess I made of the unRaid server. That case is huge, but the wiring is a mess.
Need to take a class on wiring.

Front view
and still more..............

Another view

Side view

Now installing Windows 7.
Notice the adapter cable sitting in front of the monitor.
Only later did I realize what it was for.....
I have to learn to read the manuals!!!

Stole my son's keyboard temporarily.

AND Here my unRaid server. It's in a temporary home,...which may end up to be a permanent home.
Where? The laundry room. The furnace is also in there,..and I was worried about heat, but temps have been fine.

Blue Fans

and the last set:

Lights out!

Closer view.

Well I hope these pictures help someone!!! I know that I've been helped by others who posted comments, pictures, and videos.
Thanks to all who assisted! I will still need more help I'm sure.
Wireless will never be good for movies! some work some don't.....

The letter is "O" to bring up stats......

The more and more I look at your build.... now I understand why they make PICO's....
You could get away using a PICO 150w or 160w...... and have more airflow inside and less wires....

I am going to direct dougie fresh here to see what he says.....

All and all very nice set-up.... glad to help....

Post a screenie of your temps.... with CPUID HM

You got the RPM's good low with the shuriken?
For the ML03 (or Lian-Li PC-Q07/08 for that matter) I would recommend this power supply to free up some room:

300W
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/

400W
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certification-...005CP07BA/

These come with a bracket to adapt them to the ATX mounting points as long as you buy the retail (ends in -R) not OEM version. I have one of the 300W in my PC-Q08 home server and it makes a big difference on room.

One of the great things I've learned about the FSP GHS power supplies is under light load they turn off their internal fan. That is fantastic for HTPC. FSP is a very good name in PSUs. I buy FSP, Antec and Seasonic only. Well, and picoPSU too.

For picoPSU there is mounting hardware you can buy to adapt it to your case.

If you think those wires are bad you should try to make an HTPC out of the Antec MicroFusion Remote 350 Smile.

You could have got the modular PSU. You use only the wires you needs.......

Antec High Current Gamer HCG-400M
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-05-16, 16:21)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For the ML03 (or Lian-Li PC-Q07/08 for that matter) I would recommend this power supply to free up some room:

300W
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/

400W
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certification-...005CP07BA/

These come with a bracket to adapt them to the ATX mounting points as long as you buy the retail (ends in -R) not OEM version. I have one of the 300W in my PC-Q08 home server and it makes a big difference on room.

One of the great things I've learned about the FSP GHS power supplies is under light load they turn off their internal fan. That is fantastic for HTPC. FSP is a very good name in PSUs. I buy FSP, Antec and Seasonic only. Well, and picoPSU too.

For picoPSU there is mounting hardware you can buy to adapt it to your case.

If you think those wires are bad you should try to make an HTPC out of the Antec MicroFusion Remote 350 Smile.

So I thought a PICO would of been good or no?

If so witch?

Also I know you make your plates that go where the regular ATX psu will go.... to fit the pico power cord.....

Just trying to see if a pico will be good with a built like this..... Cool
IMHO, a picoPSU is good with every HTPC build Smile. It just depends on budget, power requirements, personal choice, etc.

A picoPSU in the ML03 would need extra cables, maybe extensions too, and the mounting hardware. Of course, it's going to be the smallest choice meaning the best airflow, least amount of noise, heat, etc. and I get to make a mounting plate Smile. It's also the most efficient for HTPC running at 25% of load for 120W, or 33-40% of load for 90W. (Assuming usage is 30W-40W).

The FSP GHS power supplies would likely not need any extra cables and already come with the mounting adapter. There would still be extra cables though fewer since it doesn't have as many but it's a lot less deep. It's still an internal power supply with a fan and at 300W will not be as efficient as the picoPSU because it will run 10%-15% of load (still not bad though).

A modular PSU as bluray suggests would cut down on all the cables though you still have the depth issue with the optical drive. 400W is about as low as you can find a modular so it'll be running at 5%-10% of load and be the least efficient.

There really isn't a perfect solution -- it'll just depend on preference and budget. The order I have them in this post is how I would choose for an APU-based system.
"There really isn't a perfect solution -- it'll just depend on preference and budget."

Nice said!

I am loving my 90w PICO..... Smile
fantastic pics GortWillSaveUs!

thanks for sharing!

dont be shy to make us a small vid Tongue
BTW, one of the best solutions for messy cabling is to leave the top on and not look inside Smile. I've found no matter how neat or messy my cabling is, the picture and sound quality on my HTPC is no different.

Wink Wink Wink
(2012-05-16, 23:44)Dougie Fresh Wrote: BTW, one of the best solutions for messy cabling is to leave the top on and not look inside Smile. I've found no matter how neat or messy my cabling is, the picture and sound quality on my HTPC is no different.

Wink Wink Wink

+1! However, it can and does effect airflow and cooling inside the case. Like bluray suggested, the modular power supply is a great idea if you are going with a standard power supply in these small cases. I wish I'd gotten one. I may end up swapping mine out for one once my bank accounts recover from the two HTPC's and unRAID server I just finished building!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-05-16, 23:24)eskro Wrote: fantastic pics GortWillSaveUs!

thanks for sharing!

dont be shy to make us a small vid Tongue

Thanks Eskro!
I plan on taking pix of the temps usign the HWMonitor tool and posting those soon.
Maybe I'll take a video of me installing the new PCI SATA card when I install it inoto my unRaid box.
It's an old mobo that doesn't have PCIE, and it only had 4 internal sata connectors.

(2012-05-16, 23:44)Dougie Fresh Wrote: BTW, one of the best solutions for messy cabling is to leave the top on and not look inside Smile. I've found no matter how neat or messy my cabling is, the picture and sound quality on my HTPC is no different.

Wink Wink Wink

You and I speak the same language. "Set it and forget it". Hahahaha

Just placed an order for these items for my unRaid Server:

Great Price (I think) at: $119.99 Picking up 2 of these bad boys!
Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX

Since I only have 4 internal sata on the mobo, and no PCI-E,..I needed a PCI solution to expand my sata connections. A co-worker highly recommended this card and said he uses it with great success,..and great price at: $10.07 (I'll probably buy another once I upgrade my unRaid license to a Pro Level)
PCI to SATA / IDE (2 SATA / 2 PATA) Combo RAID Controller Card - VT6421A (Manufacturer Part # SY-VIA-150R)

I have an external Western Digital HDD with an ESATA connection. Never had the cable, so picking this one up for: $8.01 with Free Shipping
Cables To Go 10221 External Serial ATA Cable (2 Meters, Black)

Since I don't want to run CAT cables through my walls,...the same coworker Highly Recommended these and said he uses them flawlessly with his HTPC. Price: $72.62
ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units)

AND, can't go wrong with this price on 2 sata cables: $0.97 with Free Shipping!!!!! (Buying 5 sets of these)
SATA Data Cable (2pk.)

Bottom Line: I am now officially broke! Confused

JAJA did I make you spend your money? I am sorry

I personally love Hitachi HD's as I have....
I have to update my threat

When you buy WD HD's you need to use this on them:
wdidle3.exe

The is a good threat on them showing why and how to do it...

It makes there life longer because it disables them from turning off every 10 seconds or something like that.....

do some searching on it.....

oh here it is.....

it works with ears and eads

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg148777

http://support.wdc.com/product/download....09&sid=113

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)2