• 32(current)
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)
DD 5.1 and DTS working fine as well as LPCM 2.0 channel.
Brilliant! Thanks for the update Sam. I've got Raspbmc written to an SD card and my delivery week commences from tomorrow so will start testing when the Pi gets here!
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Sam, I read somewhere there may be issues with straight DVD rips that aren't transcoded to H.264. Do you have any that you can test and verify if there are any issues with playback?

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears posted a video a few posts ago that answers my question! Thanks guys!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

openelec is working this

http://openelec.tv/news/item/241-openele...-pi-part-1
Tried raspbmc yesterday and was bit surprised about the python addon speed. Rough compare between openelec and raspbmc:

* Relative same gui responsive with dirty region 3 turned on
* Much much faster python addon speed with raspbmc which managed to finish in around 3 seconds instead of 20 seconds
* raspbmc is less polished, i.e. xbmc was started from /etc/rc.local and no HOME folder was set etc.
I disagree with the view of it being less polished. Launching from an init script isn't necessary, would produce output on console. There is a home directory in that XBMC content is stored in ./xbmc/.

Raspbmc does not use DRR and will not benefit from it
(2012-05-24, 16:34)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: I disagree with the view of it being less polished. Launching from an init script isn't necessary, would produce output on console. There is a home directory in that XBMC content is stored in ./xbmc/.

Raspbmc does not use DRR and will not benefit from it

If you script it the correct way (hint: start-stop-daemon) no console output will be produced. Any comment on swap is way too big?

Currently auto re-spawn xbmc does not exit on both openelec and raspbmc. Maybe you could implement it nicely.

Does anyone know where the logs are saved on the rpi?
Set Up
(2012-05-25, 01:38)deanmv Wrote: Does anyone know where the logs are saved on the rpi?

I dont have a rpi but it should be same as any other linux distro's

In openELEC try
Code:
~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

In Raspbmc try
Code:
/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
Remember guys, both OpenELEC and Raspbmc just started out on RPi, so give it a little bit to work the kinks out :D
Cheers Ned. Now add the beta link to the wiki Smile

Swap is too big. Only that size because of RAMDIST being 512mb ext4; but will change for release. I feel 256MB however I have set to Swappiness quite low -- so maybe 128 is a good number.

Can also silence with 2&1>/dev/null after loading XBMC.

I will add an init script, but then user pi needs access to power functions.

Focus atm is remotes. Need some LIRC feedback.

Cheers
(2012-05-25, 01:42)humla Wrote:
(2012-05-25, 01:38)deanmv Wrote: Does anyone know where the logs are saved on the rpi?

I dont have a rpi but it should be same as any other linux distro's

In openELEC try
Code:
~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

In Raspbmc try
Code:
/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Got it, was set to hidden file/folder so Cyberduck wasn't picking it up. Cheers.
Set Up
(2012-05-25, 04:50)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Cheers Ned. Now add the beta link to the wiki Smile

Swap is too big. Only that size because of RAMDIST being 512mb ext4; but will change for release. I feel 256MB however I have set to Swappiness quite low -- so maybe 128 is a good number.

Can also silence with 2&1>/dev/null after loading XBMC.

I will add an init script, but then user pi needs access to power functions.

Focus atm is remotes. Need some LIRC feedback.

Cheers

The down side of big swap size is it will increase boot time quite a bit. Since pi hardly use the swap I set mine to 128MB and the activating swap takes about 3 seconds and previously its about more than 10 seconds with 500MB swap.

I got a upstart script working yesterday with xbmc running as unprivileged user such as pi and also the policy-kit script file to take care of the permissions. Will upload some where so maybe useful to some one.
Here is the link for the upstart script file and policy-kit script file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12472664/xbmc.zip

extract the zip file and put them in the following locations as root:
Code:
/etc/init/xbmc.conf
/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

You will need to install upstart and libcap2-bin (sudo apt-get install upstart libcap2-bin)

What's working:
* xbmc auto start at boot time
* respawn works. So if you exit xbmc or xbmc crashed it will automatically start itself
* xbmc now runs as unprivileged user pi with correct permission for plug and play storage (not tested yet) and permission to restart the box
* correct permission set for /dev/vchiq for user pi

If you want to have xbmc's webserver listening on port 80 you need
*) update xbmc with the following one http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12472664/xbmc-rbp.tar.gz
Hopefully patch can be accepted by the xbmc main branch: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/1012
I'm trying to get this up and running in virtualbox as my raspberry pi n accessories are coming in the next few weeks.

Can somone give me a quick step by step guide to vbox drive setup for the installer-testing iso?

Also does this iphone app work with the raspberry pi build? - http://collect3.com.au/xbmc-remote/
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread)11