guest only = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = xbmc
inherit permissions = yes

4)
sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmbd restart
I'm having a heck of a time with this as well. I've tried multiple things for smb.conf but no matter what I've done windows keeps asking me for a username, password, and domain when i try to click on the connection from my 'network places' in explorer. I'd really like a better way to transfer files over as opposed to flash drives...
(2012-09-04, 06:46)lazyboy0172 Wrote: I'm having a heck of a time with this as well. I've tried multiple things for smb.conf but no matter what I've done windows keeps asking me for a username, password, and domain when i try to click on the connection from my 'network places' in explorer. I'd really like a better way to transfer files over as opposed to flash drives...

NOTE: My setup has an internal 2tb hard drive that I set to automount and share for anyone. I also set the xbmc user's movies folder as a share in the same fashion.
=====================
Install XBMC from CD. user xbmx, password xbmc
Exit xbmc after it boots up by using the little power button on the bottom left. You'll be at the baby blue screen. Click the user XBMC. Choose XBMCbuntu from the pulldown. Login as xbmc. Now you're in the desktop.
Putty/ssh access (awesome if you want to do setup remotely but not necessary)
open up xterm:
sudo passwd root

now launch putty and hit the IP address (find by typing ifconfig at the xterm). use root and the password you set above to get in:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install samba
sudo smbpasswd -an nobody
(^ sets the nobody password so it doesn't have a password)
cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.backup
(do this ^ so you have a backup of your samba file)

now go back to the desktop:
Now install mount manager:
synaptic package manager. search for mount manager. Select mount manager. Click "Mark for installation". Mark additional stuff. Click apply. Click apply again.
Open mountmanager. Click the drive you want to mount and share. Browse for a mount point - I put mine here /mnt/2TBMOVIEDRIVE.
Leave defaults except for one change
Who can mount the partition - everybody.
At the top, click partition / apply

At this point, you might want to reboot and make sure the drive mounted correctly after a reboot.

You'll now need to go into the file manager in the desktop and right click on /home/xbmc/Movies or any folders in the user dir you want to access and go to property / permissions and set all to read write.

back to putty or xterm

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

to paste: copy and then in putty, right click and it'll paste into nano. To save in nano, ctrl x, Y, enter

==========snip=============

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
dns proxy = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
security = share
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = yes
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n$
pam password change = yes
map to guest = bad user
guest account = nobody

[MOVIEDRIVE]
path = /mnt/2TBMOVIEDRIVE
public = yes
guest ok = yes
only guest = yes
read only = no
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
force create mode = 0777
directory mask =777

[SMALLDRIVE]
path = /home/xbmc/Movies
public = yes
guest ok = yes
only guest = yes
read only = no
writable = yes
create mask = 0777
force create mode = 0777
directory mask =777

==========snip=============

now hit ctrl X to save, Y to confirm and hit enter

back at command line, do these to start and stop the samba services

sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmbd restart
If you're on windows 7 and XBMC keeps asking for a password try using the following guide.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63123

Thanks Baconismidog, I'm getting very close now! haha I'm at least to a point that requires no flash drives, which is good. The 3tb usb external hard drive that I use to store my media is mounted every time I turn on the computer, and using mountmanager appeared successful but would not save any settings. Every time I rebooted it would auto-mount the drive to Media/Media Disc despite I telling mountmanager to mount to mnt/media/ (I'm not sure if the media folder is a problem or not but wanted to follow your directions as closely as possible). I set the permissions to read/write and edited smb.conf correctly but still getting errors from my desktop. I'm not sure if the space in the name is a problem; I tried using quotes in the smb.conf as well as \ to point to the directory for the share (/media/media\ disc and "/media/media disc") but windows claims I don't have the privledges and to contact my administrator. I was able to share my xbmc box's home folder though (/home/xbmc) so I can connect to that, move files over, and then move them from there to their more permanent home on my external drive from xbmc. It takes a little more time and is a little redundant to move all the files twice, but it's a step in the right direction.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting Samba to work on XBMCBuntu0