• 4(current)
MySQL vs UPnP sharing
(2013-03-08, 03:50)Ned Scott Wrote: UPnP doesn't care if things are local or network paths. I have no idea what the ETA is on the watched status fix is.

Not sure about resume points.

Sorry I promise this is the last question and probably not the right place to ask but Its probably better than opening a new thread... Where the hell is the watched videos being stored? I had a issue with my library its in another thread. I tried blowing out my entire userdata folder and starting it over again. Once all the videos sources are added and re-scanned its pulling in the watched info again. I cannot for the life of me figure out where this is. Its even a different path but its somehow still getting them again after the scan.

Really curious where this file is. I would like to make sure its backed up Smile
(2013-03-08, 17:28)hewligun Wrote:
(2013-03-08, 03:50)Ned Scott Wrote: UPnP doesn't care if things are local or network paths. I have no idea what the ETA is on the watched status fix is.

Sorry I promise this is the last question and probably not the right place to ask but Its probably better than opening a new thread... Where the hell is the watched videos being stored? I had a issue with my library its in another thread. I tried blowing out my entire userdata folder and starting it over again. Once all the videos sources are added and re-scanned its pulling in the watched info again. I cannot for the life of me figure out where this is. Its even a different path but its somehow still getting them again after the scan.

Really curious where this file is. I would like to make sure its backed up :)

Ask away, that's why the forums are here :)

Watched status should be stored in the video DB (userdata/database/MyVideos75.db), even if the file is not in the library. If you use MySQL, then it will be in the MySQL DB.
(2013-03-08, 18:03)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-03-08, 17:28)hewligun Wrote:

Really curious where this file is. I would like to make sure its backed up Smile

Ask away, that's why the forums are here Smile

Watched status should be stored in the video DB (userdata/database/MyVideos75.db), even if the file is not in the library. If you use MySQL, then it will be in the MySQL DB.
I thought that was where it was stored as well. I delete mysql and I deleted the userdata folder. Yet it still pulled it in. Is it storing anywhere else? like the registry possibly? or in the install directory in program fles (x86)?

It really is bizarre. I am not complaining Smile but Since I had problems with the videos not updating for movies I am wondering if its related.
(2013-03-08, 18:06)hewligun Wrote:
(2013-03-08, 18:03)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-03-08, 17:28)hewligun Wrote: Sorry I promise this is the last question and probably not the right place to ask but Its probably better than opening a new thread... Where the hell is the watched videos being stored? I had a issue with my library its in another thread. I tried blowing out my entire userdata folder and starting it over again. Once all the videos sources are added and re-scanned its pulling in the watched info again. I cannot for the life of me figure out where this is. Its even a different path but its somehow still getting them again after the scan.

Ask away, that's why the forums are here Smile

I thought that was where it was stored as well. I delete mysql and I deleted the userdata folder. Yet it still pulled it in. Is it storing anywhere else? like the registry possibly? or in the install directory in program fles (x86)?

It really is bizarre. I am not complaining Smile but Since I had problems with the videos not updating for movies I am wondering if its related.

Do you have NFO files along your videos? If so, maybe you have the setting to save watched status during export.

Any new news on Resume Points and adding UPnP directly into the actual library?
Having set up a MySQL server, and have it running brilliantly, I've got a couple of questions that I am currently struggling to see how removing MySQL can resolve, mainly around watched flags Smile

I have a server/NAS. It runs MySQL, and all of the media is stored here. This does *not* have XBMC installed/running.

I have 3 clients (lets call them A, B and C), which run XBMC. At any time, between 0 and 3 of these may be switched on.

I have no clients switched on. I switch on client A, it connects to MySQL, and I begin watching something.

I then either finish watching it, or I press "Stop", and I shut down this client.

Now - no clients are running.

I then switch on client B. It connects to MySQL, and I can instantly see the updated watch/resume status.

How would this situation be catered for with UPnP and without MySQL?

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, MySQL support will be phased out?
My guess is that a headless version of xbmc will be maintained (could be the same installation, but with options to install it as headless) so no gui, etc. That could potentially run on the nas. It could be set up through a web interface and would maintain a local library and serve media through upnp.

With a transcoding option (for remote streaming), it could be similar to plex's server/client architecture, but where each xbmc installation could be either a client, or a server, or both (unlike plex that has dedicated server and client installations).
It's all good and dandy, but as much as I like xbmc, I am jealous of the constant stream of new features plex has been pushing lately, and how they went from an OSX only software to take over all sorts of platforms (all thanks to their transcoding server) for especially their clients.

I have xbmc running on my tablet, too, however when I am out of the house, it is pretty much useless. My HD content (without transcoding) does not stream through the internet due to bandwidth issues. And I certainly don't bother with constantly and manually copying over media onto the tablet every time before I leave (I can't keep too much stuff on there due to limited storage space, and large size of HD material)

Unfortunately, xbmc's lack of remote streaming options force me to use plex more and more. On my tablet, plex is a no brainer, because 1) I can stream transcoded media and it doesn't use up too much bandwidth and 2) plex sync feature will automatically transcode and copy media onto my tablet whenever I have internet connection, and it will be made available offline

I understand xbmc is pushing for having their full client on different platforms, with no compromises, however because of that they are falling behind other alternatives as it takes too much effort to build xbmc on some low power platforms with arm architecture.

Whereas plex relies on the server to "make" media compatible with the platform so they only need to create a client that uses the platforms native decoding capabilities and they can push it out very quickly. For instance roku is very limited in what type of media it can play (mp4/x264), but it's fine for plex because the server will convert everything to mp4/x264 before streaming.

Anyway, I would never switch my home htpc to anything else but xbmc, but for mobile, plex is way ahead. /End rant :-)
(2013-05-09, 21:27)aptalca Wrote: It's all good and dandy, but as much as I like xbmc, I am jealous of the constant stream of new features plex has been pushing lately, and how they went from an OSX only software to take over all sorts of platforms (all thanks to their transcoding server) for especially their clients.

I have xbmc running on my tablet, too, however when I am out of the house, it is pretty much useless. My HD content (without transcoding) does not stream through the internet due to bandwidth issues. And I certainly don't bother with constantly and manually copying over media onto the tablet every time before I leave (I can't keep too much stuff on there due to limited storage space, and large size of HD material)

Unfortunately, xbmc's lack of remote streaming options force me to use plex more and more. On my tablet, plex is a no brainer, because 1) I can stream transcoded media and it doesn't use up too much bandwidth and 2) plex sync feature will automatically transcode and copy media onto my tablet whenever I have internet connection, and it will be made available offline

I understand xbmc is pushing for having their full client on different platforms, with no compromises, however because of that they are falling behind other alternatives as it takes too much effort to build xbmc on some low power platforms with arm architecture.

Whereas plex relies on the server to "make" media compatible with the platform so they only need to create a client that uses the platforms native decoding capabilities and they can push it out very quickly. For instance roku is very limited in what type of media it can play (mp4/x264), but it's fine for plex because the server will convert everything to mp4/x264 before streaming.

Anyway, I would never switch my home htpc to anything else but xbmc, but for mobile, plex is way ahead. /End rant :-)

Ditto!

But Seriously everything you said I agree wholeheartedly on. I have been going more and more to Plex because of Server/Client Plex has. It works on everything because the Server does the transcoding instead of the client end which yes for smaller set top and tablets/phones is the best idea and it just works!
I just setup a MySQL DB for XBMC last night (Was tired of constantly updating the various XBMC boxes around the house with whats been watched and what hasn't). I started off with a basic server install with CentOS on a server I use for Virtualization. That was a pain in the ass and took around 4 hours of debugging to find out why XBMC couldn't connect to the DB server. I eventually gave up and installed it on one of my Windows systems. It took me a total of 10 minutes to get it up and running with Windows, and syncing took even less time.

MySQL is a great option when you have multiple devices in the house that need to be synced together. I honestly cant see myself going back to any other way of doing things right now or in the foreseeable future.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
(2013-05-09, 21:27)aptalca Wrote: I understand xbmc is pushing for having their full client on different platforms, with no compromises, however because of that they are falling behind other alternatives as it takes too much effort to build xbmc on some low power platforms with arm architecture.

100% wrong. The fact that XBMC is not a thin client has nothing to do with the lack of transcoding options. Removing features or making a thin client from scratch does not magically give XBMC transcoding abilities.

We do have devs interested in adding a transcoding server, so maybe someday soon.

Even then, I would argue that this is an apples and oranges comparison. XBMC is primarily a player, not a server.

Plus, transcoding means nothing on platforms that have hardware decoding. You need it to stream from most internet connections, but not because something is ARM based. There is no "power" when it comes to hardware decoding. The CPU isn't used at all. Even Plex gives many devices the option to not use transcoding, even on Android.
(2013-05-09, 19:01)crimsonfury Wrote:

Both are now available in nightly builds (wiki).
(2013-05-10, 01:08)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-05-09, 19:01)crimsonfury Wrote:

Both are now available in nightly builds (wiki).

So correct me if this wrong... We can now use UPnP in Nightly XBMC to sync play status with other UPnP sources like PLEX and also add Plex libraries into XBMC using UPnP?
I'm honestly not sure how it handles mixed software. I think a lot of what is being added is based on standards from UPnP A/V, so if the other devices follow the same standards, then resume/watched flags should work when mixing software. I think.

So if you have a Plex UPnP server, XBMC client should send a signal saying "I watched this", but off hand I don't know if Plex server will do anything with that data.

And despite lingering harsh feelings between the two groups, I can only see if being a good thing if people are able to mix and match systems and have it run smoothly. Everybody wins, right?

Granted, these are nightly builds, so there are some bugs, even when using XBMC to XBMC. When I tried it, clients had no problems updating resumed and watched flags on the server, but sometimes th serve got confused.

The main aim right now is smooth operation between XBMC to XBMC, but it is certainly a goal to work agnostically with all sorts of combos.
(2013-05-10, 04:10)Ned Scott Wrote: Granted, these are nightly builds, so there are some bugs, even when using XBMC to XBMC. When I tried it, clients had no problems updating resumed and watched flags on the server, but sometimes th serve got confused.

You mention the word "server", so I am curious whether there has been a change on the approach. I had always thought that even the current UPnP implementatoin does not have a server/client component, but basically all instances are equivalent. Is my understanding correct? Also, does XBMC nightly now run headless. I would love to have it on a remote desktop (with win7), but this does not work for some reasons.

Any help appreciated!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL vs UPnP sharing1