• 70(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
Noob question. Would one of these OpenELEC builds work well for a backend HTPC system? I'm looking for something to attach to a TV tuner to record OTA television and for use with SB. I'm planning on then pushing files to a NAS to access via a raspberry pi or something similar. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Nice to see this thread is getting updated.... thanx.
no problemo Beer40oz!!
Question: Has anyone else received the "ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting." error screen when trying to open XBMC?
I just built a brand new HTPC, specs:
AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics flashed to BIOS 2.2
Asrock FM2-A85X-Extreme6 MOBO
8 GB D3 1600 RAM
Running:
XBMC-12.2
Win7 Home Premium, fully updated
I have never had a clean run of the XBMC software on this machine. Have tried to debug and research for two days, but to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
(2013-07-09, 17:44)JFBRO Wrote: Question: Has anyone else received the "ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting." error screen when trying to open XBMC?
I just built a brand new HTPC, specs:
AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics flashed to BIOS 2.2
Asrock FM2-A85X-Extreme6 MOBO
8 GB D3 1600 RAM
Running:
XBMC-12.2
Win7 Home Premium, fully updated
I have never had a clean run of the XBMC software on this machine. Have tried to debug and research for two days, but to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Have you downloaded the graphics drivers and software?
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wi...etect.aspx
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Please Advise

Antec ISK 300-150 Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 150 Watt Power Supply

Intel Core i3-3225 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i33225

Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI

Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2) KHX1333C9D3B1K​2/8G

ADATA S510 60 GB SATA III SandForce 6 GB/Sec 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive AS510S3-60GM-C

That is my wish list based off of build #5. I would like to replace my Apple TV 1 this week as it is just not able to play this stuff very well.
Now my media is all stored a 4tb hdd. So I dont think i need to worry about streaming.
One of the main issues with ATV1 is buffering a lot through out a movie . will i still have that problem ?
How quiet will this system be behind a glass cabinet
Should i add more cooling fans. My media cabinet is 8 intake and exhaust fans. Do i need more for the htpc?
Eskro,

It's been a along time since I asked you for help, but a random power failure killed my system. Serendipity, right! In the coming months I am going to be moving my system into an AV server rack for our media room, so rebuilding the system was an inevitability. I was looking at your openELEC build #4, as I don't need crazy, I used to think I did, now I want fast as hell, stable and space saving, oh yeah and bit stream, 2D 1080P. Anyhow, your links on page 1 for SSDs is effectively dead,everything is discontinued on newegg.com, and I wanted to tap your brain as to which SSD you like these days. Please bear in mind that all my media is housed on an unRAID server, so all this jewel has to do is stream it.

On a side note if there is a 1U rack mount (shallow depth) server case that you think is the bee's knees I'm all ears. I have been looking at this Athena Power unit only because I want as little on the front as possible.

As always, thanks,

TRP
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome
can anyone help me out. I an really in need some help.
(2013-07-16, 21:04)tkarns24 Wrote: can anyone help me out. I an really in need some help.

For some reason your amazon link does not work on my end.... can you post your links on here of what you wan't to buy.
hey i took off the link and just put the hardware
Hello

I really need an advice, because I feel I'm missing something about htpc vs set-top-boxes

My initial config looks as follows:
- NAS Synology with all my TV shows and Movies
- 3 rooms with Samsung Smart TV in each
- wired gigabit LAN accross the house

The goal is to design xbmc-powered experience =)

What troubles me:
1) Do I need to buy HTPC to each TV I have? Or maybe I somehow can get just ONE xbmc running on a powerful server and then stream it to my TV (or treat them like connected monitors)? The trick is that I know about UPnP, but I just don't want to navigate through complicated SmartTV interface to select the proper file, I want to click "play" on my xbmc server and point to the desired TV as output.

2) I read the Eskro's topic about HTPC's configs (thanks mate, really helpful). What I still cant understand is whether set-top-box is sufficient for just basic 2d 1080p?
(2012-02-12, 18:14)bluray Wrote: If you want XBMC to natively playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio, you can use the latest XBMC patches- XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay.

If you want to enjoy the original blu-ray menus, previews, chapters, 3d, etc, you can use this "External Player", and you can simply named your BD files "title_ext.iso" and use this protocol "<rule filename=".*_ext.iso*" protocols="*_ext.iso*" player="ext_Player"/>". The rest of the blu-rays still can playback using the latest XBMC patches.

The latest XBMC patches and external player "TMT5" are excellent combination for XBMC! Smile

Good afternoon bluray,

What is the state of things for Blu-Ray playback after 1 year has gone by since your post? I am on XBMC 12.2 and Blu-Ray playback (ISOs or BDMV) is just totally unreliable. I am considering the external player option but what would you recommend in a OS X environment and how one goes about setting it, including this protocol you mention?

Thanking you in advance. Best,

CF
Will the chromecast make it possible to have the htpc in another room and xmit the hdmi signal wirelessly?
(2013-07-20, 16:33)hellt Wrote: What troubles me:
1) Do I need to buy HTPC to each TV I have? Or maybe I somehow can get just ONE xbmc running on a powerful server and then stream it to my TV (or treat them like connected monitors)? The trick is that I know about UPnP, but I just don't want to navigate through complicated SmartTV interface to select the proper file, I want to click "play" on my xbmc server and point to the desired TV as output.

(2013-07-26, 05:05)Psychosi42 Wrote: Will the chromecast make it possible to have the htpc in another room and xmit the hdmi signal wirelessly?

Great questions. Thanks for making this thread OP, its a great help!
hey guys, quick question:

it's sitting in a cupboard at the moment, but is there any reason for me to upgrade my acer revo r3610? will probably install openelec onto an SD card.
  • 70(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36