• 3(current)
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org
I had a play with Navi-X last night on the suggestion that there was an HD stream of RT available, next start of XBMC gave me this bit O' spam on the home page; doesn't seem to be re-occouring; anyone know were this is located and/or the fix?

The only real source? I'd be angry, but at this point it's just getting comical.
Big things going down at the so called 'only real source' (so I have heard anyway Wink )

Most of the major developers have left and started an alternative website. So, now there will be another new place that should not be spoken of here...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
crap....
HUB add-on developer Mikey1234 apparently thought it was a great idea to add in-XBMC advertisements to his add-ons (I could rant at why this is not only a horrible idea, but could potentially do a lot of harm to XBMC's reputation with people who don't know any better, but I'll save that for another time). This didn't go down well with HUB, and resulted in Mikey leaving to start his own site called XBMCtalk. Mikey made most of the HUB specific add-ons, so he used that access to update them in order to pop up an ad for his new site and tell people that it is the new home for all their add-ons. Knowing Mikey's history, it probably also installed a new repo without them knowing about it (something he's done before and got him banned from xbmc.org).

HUB's umOuch tried to stop this by using HUB's "Maintenance" add-on to uninstall add-ons and other add-on repositories that Mikey controlled. A lot of users woke up today to find lots of add-ons were mysteriously missing.

Really bad decisions from all parties involved.

Now they're both going at it, various people taking sides, and without doubt some of this will manage to splash on us at XBMC.org. If you thought the occasional mashup or 1channel post was annoying, wait until tons of posts start showing up about "where did all my add-ons go?!".

I really doubt either group wants to "hack" your computer, so the first thing anyone worried should do is take a deep breath and calm down. Both sites are claiming the other is using malware or a virus, but this is just hyperbole.

However, if you happen to use add-ons from one of those sites, please take this time to backup your XBMC data folder, the parent folder that holds the userdata (wiki) folder. Backing up that parent folder will also back up add-ons as well as all of your settings. You should do this anyways as it's generally good practice for any data that you value.

You also might want to evaluate how much you trust the add-ons installed. Like said before, while we don't want people discussing add-ons that violate our forum rules (wiki), it's not a personal judgement on those people who wish to use them. When we suggest that you uninstall something, it's normally because it's doing something bad to your XBMC set up, and has nothing to do with personal views on piracy or morals. No matter what your stance on these issues is, I don't think anyone likes the idea of ads in XBMC or an add-on automatically uninstalling other add-ons.
(2013-09-28, 18:51)natethomas Wrote: The only real source? I'd be angry, but at this point it's just getting comical.

Agreed!

Hilariously, many of us tried to start a discussion regarding these glaring flaws/issues with the hub team over a year ago, particularly regarding privacy/GA/ads/maintanence tool etc.

However we were lambasted for speaking such non-sense by its members/creator. Looking back, all the concerns we raised, that we predicted, have all come to fruition, everything that we questioned has inevitably happened, over this weekend.

However the hardcore circle-jerk of the hub and its members point blank refused to entertain the possibility, refused to discuss these issues maturely with xbmc.org members and generally became incredibly hostile and abusive toward xbmc.org members who were asking legitimate questions.

This behaviour, is my main reason for refusing to use that site and it's tools. They behave like people I try to avoid AFK. They need someone who isn't a complete megalomaniac to help deal with their overall appearance, as currently it seems even the users (never mind the devs) are flocking away from that site because 1 certain person.

Sometimes people on here are dicks to each other, but differences are usually put aside for the greater good and users are willing to say sorry, reflect on their behaviour and/or admit when they were wrong and apologise. Something other sites don't often do!

I don't think this even deserves any more attention, let's all just bask in the good ole "told ya so" ad move on Smile
This might explain the xbmchub (unread) email in my inbox with the work 'security' in the subject line. Better go read it, I like a good laugh.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-28, 21:28)Ned Scott Wrote: HUB add-on developer Mikey1234 apparently thought it was a great idea to add in-XBMC advertisements to his add-ons (I could rant at why this is not only a horrible idea, but could potentially do a lot of harm to XBMC's reputation with people who don't know any better, but I'll save that for another time). This didn't go down well with HUB, and resulted in Mikey leaving to start his own site called XBMCtalk. Mikey made most of the HUB specific add-ons, so he used that access to update them in order to pop up an ad for his new site and tell people that it is the new home for all their add-ons. Knowing Mikey's history, it probably also installed a new repo without them knowing about it (something he's done before and got him banned from xbmc.org).

HUB's umOuch tried to stop this by using HUB's "Maintenance" add-on to uninstall add-ons and other add-on repositories that Mikey controlled. A lot of users woke up today to find lots of add-ons were mysteriously missing.

Really bad decisions from all parties involved.

Now they're both going at it, various people taking sides, and without doubt some of this will manage to splash on us at XBMC.org. If you thought the occasional mashup or 1channel post was annoying, wait until tons of posts start showing up about "where did all my add-ons go?!".

I really doubt either group wants to "hack" your computer, so the first thing anyone worried should do is take a deep breath and calm down. Both sites are claiming the other is using malware or a virus, but this is just hyperbole.

However, if you happen to use add-ons from one of those sites, please take this time to backup your XBMC data folder, the parent folder that holds the userdata (wiki) folder. Backing up that parent folder will also back up add-ons as well as all of your settings. You should do this anyways as it's generally good practice for any data that you value.

You also might want to evaluate how much you trust the add-ons installed. Like said before, while we don't want people discussing add-ons that violate our forum rules (wiki), it's not a personal judgement on those people who wish to use them. When we suggest that you uninstall something, it's normally because it's doing something bad to your XBMC set up, and has nothing to do with personal views on piracy or morals. No matter what your stance on these issues is, I don't think anyone likes the idea of ads in XBMC or an add-on automatically uninstalling other add-ons.

Reality TV show anyone? Like the sands through a hour glass.....
Reading some threads on xbmchub shows me that ... they ..... like talk...... in ....like ...dots. Very bloody annoying ...... makes them look like ,..... idiot fanboys....bitchslapping.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just for all to remember that some of us affiliated with either of these sites are just there to call home for support of their addons rather than care to indulge in the drama..

Ned did an accurate write up there on what's been going on and it's rather sad and a bit embarrassing when coming here and reading about it..

@Patrick - whatever response you got regarding the GA stuff and other privacy issues likely only came from a certain few who were actively using it and some of us likely didn't even see the thread, and possibly those are the few that continue to use those tools and formed their own site.. what you didn't know that internally the topic was talked about for quite some time, two sides argued, everyone had their own opinion.. uMouch who runs the site was torn in between.. the decision was finally made where everyone was to remove any tracking type code, we agreed with .org's view.. at least many of us did

Anyways, as the world turns, lets not bring the drama here
I don't get why everyone is upset over a few ads. I told some guys over at navix some time back that it would have to happen at some point. Because the upload sites movies and TV shows are put on are taking hits because of the cost of the server fees and the fact no one is coming to the site and seeing the ads.

I don't like ads anymore then anyone but I do pay Netflix $4 a month to watch stuff I haven't found on Xbmc. I know Xbmc is free but I don't see a few ads as ruining Xbmc. I would donate to use Xbmc and I see some places where you could. However I doubt most people do.

I think devs work hard and while I don't like ads one here and there is no big deal. My slacker radio has ads unless I pay to remove them. Why is it we have no issue with those but they throw a fit about this and it will ruin Xbmc?

It could yes but if it's done right I think we can make it work. Either that or donate. Servers cost money. Enjoy Xbmc and stop gryping.
Please don't equate XBMC with the content on these servers/sites or with the add-ons used to access them. Neither the XBMC application per se nor the XBMC.org site have anything to do with this.
Umm xbmc a own repo has addons for accessing sites. Not the same ones but hgtv and discovery and others.

My point is a few ads is not goin to hurt anyone. Stop complaining. Everyone wants everything for free. I have had people ask me how to hack Netflix to get it for free. In like its $7 a month. And if you go on eBay you can find deals for $4 a month or 6 months free. And they still complain. If you can't pay $5 a month then you are to cheap.
Here on the org are Xbmc logoed items to sell and ads and we don't have a fit. Enjoy Xbmc it's come along ways since I first started using it.
Way back before add ons. It was so nice to load all my movies in a hard drive tell Xbmc here they are and have it scan for me. No more converting for iTunes and finding DVD covers.
(2013-09-29, 02:18)ilovemymac Wrote: Umm xbmc a own repo has addons for accessing sites. Not the same ones but hgtv and discovery and others.

My point is a few ads is not goin to hurt anyone. Stop complaining. Everyone wants everything for free. I have had people ask me how to hack Netflix to get it for free. In like its $7 a month. And if you go on eBay you can find deals for $4 a month or 6 months free. And they still complain. If you can't pay $5 a month then you are to cheap.
Here on the org are Xbmc logoed items to sell and ads and we don't have a fit. Enjoy Xbmc it's come along ways since I first started using it.
Way back before add ons. It was so nice to load all my movies in a hard drive tell Xbmc here they are and have it scan for me. No more converting for iTunes and finding DVD covers.

These are not ads for the hosted content. These are ads to make Mikey1234 money. Not even the guys hosting the files get any money out of ads. They instead get money by getting people to sign up for paid access to the file locker sites for faster file transfers (and the ability to stream larger/higher quality files). Believe me, they are not hurting for money, even if they don't get any money form Mikey's ads.

I have no problem watching ads in the video stream to help pay for the people who actually own the content or have licensed it. For example, ads are enabled by default in the Hulu add-on, and that's fine, because those are Hulu's ads.

That's not what has everyone that upset, though. When another community at HUB had an issue with it, a community Mikey was a part of, was an administrator of, he hijacked add-ons he made on their behalf so that he could direct users to his new website. He also enabled google analytic tracking with no user notification, which is actually a civil offense in some countries (ever notice UK websites popping up with a message to tell you that they use cookies?), and a violation of privacy and trust for the users of those add-ons.

Then HUB used their add-ons to delete Mikey's add-ons and repos, even for the users who still didn't have an issue with it. Keep in mind, Mikey has done similar things himself, so neither are really above that kind of thing.

The biggest issue here is a violation of trust. This whole thread is about a violation of trust in that HUB knows they are misleading people about who they are, but this violated the trust of even the people who knew that HUB was 3rd party. That's not even getting into all the nasty things going back and forth since all this went down. (fake twitter accounts, flame threads, etc)

Here's a scary thought: an add-on developer could easily update an add-on to delete your entire library, or even just random stuff off your hard drive. If you can't trust the add-on author and/or repository maintainers, then you could easily be one disgruntled python programmer away from getting screwed, and more than just losing a few add-ons.
I don't care if devs want to get paid but I don't know Mikey1234. I do know mash and a few others.
I don't think what either is dining is good. But the hub is going to really destroy all that they have tried to do. People already are leaving.

It stupid really and I know Elementry kids who act older.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org3