• 28(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Just installed the xbmc backup tool, I ran it and got a script error.

Newbie question.

Were can i find the log file?

Cheers,
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_file
I have a TON of DVDs and BluRay backed up on my server, about 90% of which use DTS audio. Two of the TVs in my house are running XBMC from Ouya. I got the newest version, not knowing it will not play DTS audio. I can't go through all this setup again.
My question is, can I create a backup of my Ouya using this addon, uninstall XBMC and side load the older version that supposedly works, and then restore the backup without losing all my settings?
I hope so, as it takes like 3 days to get everything set up the way I like it.
(2013-10-10, 14:56)dkplayaclub Wrote: I have a TON of DVDs and BluRay backed up on my server, about 90% of which use DTS audio. Two of the TVs in my house are running XBMC from Ouya. I got the newest version, not knowing it will not play DTS audio. I can't go through all this setup again.
My question is, can I create a backup of my Ouya using this addon, uninstall XBMC and side load the older version that supposedly works, and then restore the backup without losing all my settings?
I hope so, as it takes like 3 days to get everything set up the way I like it.

Yes and no Smile If you backup your config files, and addon data it should work. Do not backup your addons or database files. If you are restoring to an older version of XBMC the addons will most likely not work so you're better off downloading them from the correct repo within xbmc after your install. The database is also an issue, going from a newer version of xbmc to an older one means the database will be on the newer version and there is no way to downgrade that. Do a music/video export from within the settings menu of xbmc and do a rescrape after your downgrade. The only other issue will be your guisettings.xml file - this is where all of your view and skin preferences are stored. This will not restore while xbmc is running so you'll have to manually move it from your backup file to the correct location when xbmc is closed. This is something that will hopefully get fixed with Gotham but in all other versions it's a manual move process.

Hopefully this helps you. The process will not be totally seamless and downgrades are much harder, for upgrades xbmc is pretty smart about detecting and upgrading the right pieces.
Sounds like a rather large pain, but thank you for the detailed response. I am going to look into a few other options before I make a decision on how to proceed. At least I know I can back up my addon settings, which is a big part of the process.
No problem. Downgrades are never easy. Even if you just manually copied the userdata folder yourself you'd have some files/settings to work with. The library files will be the biggest problem. As older version of XBMC (pre Frodo) did not include the image caching system now used a lot of that stuff wouldn't work either. Rescraping is probably the only way.
I'm in a loop with the dropbox token authentication. Can't see a way out of it
Here is my problem. If i open xbmc backup and click backup. I get the pop up " Check log for Authorize URL" " Click Ok when authorized"

Question is how can I get the Log without clicking the "OK" button.?

If i click OK and then retrieve the log via XBMC Log uploader the token expires as the next time I open XBMC backup it creates a new token and the cycle repeats.

I have connected via Putty and located the log file via PC but cannot open it ( because I don't know how). Advice greatly appreciated !
Hi sorry if am on the wrong page I just seen dropbox.
Is there a way to set up a link to my dropbox so I can instal zip from there or access
Files like my update TV guide xml using xbox on ape tv. Would be much easier than using winscp
Any help or a push in the right direction would be great.

Kind regards.
(2013-10-13, 03:29)o0timbo0o Wrote: I'm in a loop with the dropbox token authentication. Can't see a way out of it
Here is my problem. If i open xbmc backup and click backup. I get the pop up " Check log for Authorize URL" " Click Ok when authorized"

Question is how can I get the Log without clicking the "OK" button.?

If i click OK and then retrieve the log via XBMC Log uploader the token expires as the next time I open XBMC backup it creates a new token and the cycle repeats.

I have connected via Putty and located the log file via PC but cannot open it ( because I don't know how). Advice greatly appreciated !

That is kind of a catch 22. The authorization sequence isn't the best but in the log file you can at least cut/paste the url whereas if I displayed it on screen you'd have to type it by hand. In any case the command I'd use is the "tail" command in linux to display the xbmc log in your putty session. This will show you the url when it pops up.

(2013-10-14, 13:51)Madchester312 Wrote: Hi sorry if am on the wrong page I just seen dropbox.
Is there a way to set up a link to my dropbox so I can instal zip from there or access
Files like my update TV guide xml using xbox on ape tv. Would be much easier than using winscp
Any help or a push in the right direction would be great.

Kind regards.

There is an addon that is a dedicated dropbox client for xbmc. You can find it here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=172902
Hi. I can't see this detailed anywhere, but does this backup the /profiles/ folder? I've just looked at the backups it's been generating and whilst the profiles.xml file is backed up the directory isn't. Should I specify this as a Custom Directory?

I've tried browsing via Custom Dir but cannot work out how to get to /userdata/ so I can select /profiles/ Sad

Any advice is appreciated, as I really need the profiles to be fully backed up.
(2013-10-19, 13:23)TUSSFC Wrote: Hi. I can't see this detailed anywhere, but does this backup the /profiles/ folder? I've just looked at the backups it's been generating and whilst the profiles.xml file is backed up the directory isn't. Should I specify this as a Custom Directory?

I've tried browsing via Custom Dir but cannot work out how to get to /userdata/ so I can select /profiles/ Sad

Hey, thanks for pointing this out. I don't use profiles myself so I've never really looked into how they are stored. I always just figured the files were within the userdata folder somewhere, but in looking at the wiki I see that there is an additional profiles folder not just the profiles.xml and a few other files.

I'm going to add an option for profiles that will grab the profiles/ folder as part of the backup. For now if you want to add this folder as a custom directory I will put the changes on github and get them pulled with the next release. Thanks for the suggestion.
(2013-10-20, 16:21)robweber Wrote:
(2013-10-19, 13:23)TUSSFC Wrote: Hi. I can't see this detailed anywhere, but does this backup the /profiles/ folder? I've just looked at the backups it's been generating and whilst the profiles.xml file is backed up the directory isn't. Should I specify this as a Custom Directory?

Hey, thanks for pointing this out. I don't use profiles myself so I've never really looked into how they are stored. I always just figured the files were within the userdata folder somewhere, but in looking at the wiki I see that there is an additional profiles folder not just the profiles.xml and a few other files.

I'm going to add an option for profiles that will grab the profiles/ folder as part of the backup. For now if you want to add this folder as a custom directory I will put the changes on github and get them pulled with the next release. Thanks for the suggestion.

Excellent, thanks. How should I add as a custom dir? When I click browse ... I can't seem to navigate my way to the userdata folder in order to select the profiles subdir. When I click browse I have the usual Home, Root, etc options. Where should I be browsing?
It really depends on the OS you are using. Refer to this page for specifics: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

I just committed the changes to add the profiles folder to the list of options. I'll do a pull request for the xbmc repo later today.
I am successfully writing backups interactively over smb to win7 desktop from my gbox mx2
running frodo. However, the daily scheduled backups don't show up in that
win7 directory. I think they are getting done because when I start xbmc every day
a pop-up window on the lower right informs me of the date and time of the
latest backup. Where are they? I know that the smb location was chosen in the
xbmc backup settings at the time the nightly backup took place.
The pop-up you are seeing is probably giving you the date/time of the next backup. This is normal when the scheduler is activated.

A few questions:

1) You mention "when I turn xbmc on each day". Uou are leaving xbmc running so that the scheduled backup can run right? Might seem like a basic question but sometimes people think the scheduler will wake up the computer or something to run the backup.

2) Can you run a manual backup and see the files? There is no difference between a manual and scheduled backup other than the timing.

3) If this still doesn't help can you run a manual backup and post the debug log? Typically if the backup runs but you don't see files this is an indicator that the xbmcvfs module cannot write to your backup location.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10