Linux Video Playback Buffering (Wireless Connection)
Hi all,

Software:

I am running XBMC 12.2 Git:32b1a5e on a Linux OS 3.5.0-41-genric 64 ubantu SMP.

Hardware:

CPU - Atom [email protected]
Speed - 1600.05
Memeory - 3283

GPU - ION/Integrated/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 Nvidia 304.88

Storage:

WD My Book Live Due (6TB) (Connecting with a NFS connection to the external HDD)

Router:

Belkin Share N300 (Boasts High Speed of 300Mbps)

----------------
Problem:

When i play content over the wireless connection non-HD content works ok but the .MKV HD files just buffer constantly and make them impossible to watch.

What i have tried so far...

1. Locally connected files play fine with no buffering.
2. Wired connection plays fine with no buffering
3.I tried searching on forums for issues and saw suggestions of increasing the buffer cache but "Since v12 (Frodo) does not have the <alwaysforcebuffer> option, the video cache affects only media over HTTP and FTP protocol , which are sen as internet sources, even if you are using them locally. SMB, NFS, and AFP are not cached in v12 Frodo."

Any help here would be great i have no way to get a wired connection into my living room Sad so i need to run this wireless. I also have been using local drives for years but the amount of content i have now makes this impossible to maintain on several drives that need constantly unplugging to update with new content.

Log File: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=70264

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice and help in my time of need Smile
If it plays fine over a cable, its not an XBMC issue but a wireless network issue. You need to check your wireless settings and make sure you are using WPA2 with AES for the fastest throughput, assuming that both ends support the encryption. It might also help to use something like inSSIDer 2, to see if there are nearby networks overlapping yours. If so, a simple channel change could well help.
use a gotham build that has the force buffer option.
(2013-10-16, 12:16)black_eagle Wrote: If it plays fine over a cable, its not an XBMC issue but a wireless network issue. You need to check your wireless settings and make sure you are using WPA2 with AES for the fastest throughput, assuming that both ends support the encryption. It might also help to use something like inSSIDer 2, to see if there are nearby networks overlapping yours. If so, a simple channel change could well help.

Black Eagle, thanks for the response!

I have looked in my router settings and i see that i have it setup on;

Security Mode: WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK)
Authentication: WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
Encryption Technique: AES

Also i took a look at the Wireless channel and it was set on auto so i moved it to from 4 to 12 just to see what would happen and still the same.
I started to think about whats left in the loop to check as if XBMC is solid the router is setup in the right way the other thing could be the HDD.

I have another drive sitting around 2TB iOmega home network HDD and the files play ok from this drive!

What can i do to see the differences between the two drives? With a USB drive i could simply check out the properties to see the file system etc but with a network drive I am not sure how i can see anything about them to compare them as neither offer a USB connection!

I spent a lot on the my book WD My Book Live Due (6TB) and it has the storage size i need so i would rather not give up on it given that the 2TB iOmega is just to small for any real use!

(2013-10-16, 16:10)wsnipex Wrote: use a gotham build that has the force buffer option.

wsniperx, thank you for taking the time to help me but using Gotham might be unwise given that its not stable yet... should i really go to that version now even though its not listed on the downloads section of the XBMC site?

your rep and time on this board suggest i shouldn't be questioning you but i don't want to install something that could end up causing me more issues than i have already!
For me, my videos only played well over wireless N and on the less crowded 5ghz band. New router and wireless ccard for my PC fixed it all up
if you want to try gotham or not is up to you. I can only say its stable enough or even more stable the frodo in many use cases, but as always with OSS, ymmv. There is also no guarantee, that the buffer is enough to make full HD over wireless working properly, but imho its your only chance.

In any case its rather trivial to go back to frodo, if it doesn't work out. Just backup your ~/.xbmc folder before upgrading.
(2013-10-16, 17:32)wsnipex Wrote: if you want to try gotham or not is up to you. I can only say its stable enough or even more stable the frodo in many use cases, but as always with OSS, ymmv. There is also no guarantee, that the buffer is enough to make full HD over wireless working properly, but imho its your only chance.

In any case its rather trivial to go back to frodo, if it doesn't work out. Just backup your ~/.xbmc folder before upgrading.

Yes it makes sense! A simple backup that can be reverted to would safe guard what could be a valuable test!

Thanks wsnipex for your time!
You might also consider powerline networking. It is usually way better than wireless, but as usual YMMV depending on the quality and age of your house's wiring. (Gotham is cheaper though!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-16, 22:16)nickr Wrote: You might also consider powerline networking. It is usually way better than wireless, but as usual YMMV depending on the quality and age of your house's wiring. (Gotham is cheaper though!)

I completely forgot about these!

Could be well worth a go thanks NIckR
(2013-10-18, 09:58)ashleyTMH Wrote:
(2013-10-16, 22:16)nickr Wrote: You might also consider powerline networking. It is usually way better than wireless, but as usual YMMV depending on the quality and age of your house's wiring. (Gotham is cheaper though!)

I completely forgot about these!

Could be well worth a go thanks NIckR

So powerline network worked best 50 euros i spent in a long while!!!

Thanks Nickr for the help
Glad it worked for you,
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Playback Buffering (Wireless Connection)0