• 130(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Hi all,

Bit awkward to just drop here a bunch of questions but I'm hoping somone can give me a bit of insight on this.
I'm shopping for a silent case and tbh, its getting confusing.

The Akasa Tesla seems to be enormous (for NUC standards) - 240 x 150 x 48mm
Streacom NC1 WY - 150 x 112 x 48mm (W x D x H)
Impactics D3NU2-IR-USB - 170 (W) x 114 (D) x 67 (H) mm
TranquilPC (thanks Plany) - 164 (W) x 112 (D) x 47 (H) mm

Akasa mounts the extra HD on the side, which I suppose explains the bigger size. Ok.
TranquilPC mounts the extra HD under the barebone. From the website I take it you get to keep everything as advertised, clearly a winner. I cant find it in my country.
Streacom is terrible in letting you know what they offer. USB ports? Depends. IR Port? Depends. Headphone jack? Meh, depends. Ok, so I know the NC1 WY is for the Haswell's but I have no guarentee on what is supported for this model. Super handy.
Impactics has a model for everything. One for USB, one for IR, one for USB and IR, one for extra HD, other for extra HD and IR, you name it. Mind you that if you want the extra HD space you lose 2 usb's AND they are kind enough to tell you the 35mm jack may only support mono audio output.

So pleaaaase for all of you who are happy with your silent case, if you could just answer this following questions... I would be so happy!

Can you fit the extra HD with your case?
How is it powered(?), I see only one power source for SDD/HD
Anything you were surprised to find after you bought it?
Hows the sound from the 35mm jack? (I might plug some wireless eargear from there, if it isnt to terrible)

For the tech savys and curious:

What reason would Impactics have to lose 2 usb ports when TranquilPC has a similar size case and fits everything in?
Would you reckon the 35mm jack is broken at all Haswell's or just the Impactics case?
If you have a NC1 WY could you confirm what actual entries does it have?
From intel website: "Two additional high-speed USB 2.0 ports via internal header". - What is this for?

Thanks if you got this far, and apologies for the slight long text!
So turning off the "Wake on LAN" seems to have fixed the shutdown problem for me.

Is everyone else seeing the same thing?

I'm on the latest Gotham nightly
Ah right ok so windows is the way forward then. Would I need a bigger ssd than the 30gb I was planning on getting? Was also getting 4gb ram.
(2014-01-29, 20:33)Auch Wrote: What reason would Impactics have to lose 2 usb ports when TranquilPC has a similar size case and fits everything in?
With the impactics you can place a hdd or use 2 optional usb ports

The TranquilPC ebel h2 allow only to place a hdd ( no optional usb port)

(2014-01-29, 20:33)Auch Wrote: From intel website: "Two additional high-speed USB 2.0 ports via internal header". - What is this for?
to connect the 2 optional usb ports of the impactics Wink
My name is Erier, Humf Erier
(2014-01-29, 20:21)micoba Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 19:44)richiebrowns Wrote: Im looking at getting the i3 model asap. Do i need windows or should i run openelec? Advantages to windows?

Please read the first page. Openelec has issues with shutting off atm. Win 8.1 works flawlessly.

Hold on, before telling people it works flawlessly; quite simply put, it doesn't.

1) Refresh matching causes issues sometimes when loading some files, it glitches out and requires another video to load.
2) VC-1*** does NOT like hardware decoding most of the time.
3) LIP SYNCING*** Openelec has a better way to deal with the delay on 24 Hz lipsyncing. Note that it is a problem!!!
4) You still have to run windows.

BOTTOM LINE: If you don't NEED 3D (like I do) then by all means use OpenELEC, it is far less frustrating.
(2014-01-29, 20:58)zag Wrote: So turning off the "Wake on LAN" seems to have fixed the shutdown problem for me.

same here!
disable wake on lan and the shutdown works properly
(2014-01-29, 21:53)humferier Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 20:33)Auch Wrote: What reason would Impactics have to lose 2 usb ports when TranquilPC has a similar size case and fits everything in?
With the impactics you can place a hdd or use 2 optional usb ports

Oh thats crazy. So all their cases actually handle an extra HD, they just dont provide the 2,5'' support (whatever this may be, I suppose some bracket and cables) if you choose USB.
And if you do, you get 6 usb ports. I dont even know where these are plugged

Good eye, thanks for pointing that out.
Then I guess I have to wonder then why no other case provides the 6 usb ports option..
(2014-01-30, 00:33)Plany Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 20:58)zag Wrote: So turning off the "Wake on LAN" seems to have fixed the shutdown problem for me.

same here!

Looks like we found the solution then Smile

Updated the 1st post.

Working perfectly for me now, wakes with my harmony remote and shuts down no problems.
And what about the guys who need Wake on Lan like me?
Its a work around but not a solution IMO..
(2014-01-30, 07:31)gamble Wrote: And what about the guys who need Wake on Lan like me?

I suspect it's an issue to take up with Intel regarding their BIOS if enabling WoL disables proper sleep functionality...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2014-01-30, 08:25)BLKMGK Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 07:31)gamble Wrote: And what about the guys who need Wake on Lan like me?

I suspect it's an issue to take up with Intel regarding their BIOS if enabling WoL disables proper sleep functionality...
As I said before, how do Intel get away with this crap?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-30, 01:07)zag Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 00:33)Plany Wrote:

same here!

Looks like we found the solution then Smile

Updated the 1st post.

Working perfectly for me now, wakes with my harmony remote and shuts down no problems.

This workaround was posted already several times in this thread. Btw who found it initially? I want to say thank you!
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
Just out of interest how does anyone use Wake On Lan in a HTPC setup?

I've used it at work to send a "magic packet" to hundreds of machines to update in the middle of the night but otherwise it seems a pretty useless feature to me.

Are you guys using a phone app to wake up your NUC's or something? If so why not just wake it up with a remote control?
Yes phone remotes seem to have this feature.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-30, 11:05)zag Wrote: Just out of interest how does anyone use Wake On Lan in a HTPC setup?

I've used it at work to send a "magic packet" to hundreds of machines to update in the middle of the night but otherwise it seems a pretty useless feature to me.

Are you guys using a phone app to wake up your NUC's or something? If so why not just wake it up with a remote control?

I'm using a Control4 IP driver and the best option for turning the NUC ON from this is WoL
  • 130(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7