• 201(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Kernel 3.14.2 works fine for me when patched with that patch. Can you ahgee2 or Nafi confirm this if possible? Thanks!
do you have an openelec build with that patched kernel? plz upload it.

i don't have a fast build environment at this time.

edit: oh it's already merged, i'll try!
Wait! the last build from xbmcnightlybuilds.com is too old - it was build more than an hour before that commit.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-02, 21:32)mystik Wrote: Which RAM do you suggest I use in the Haswell NUC? I want it to be as fast as it can, but I don't want to waste money on overkill.

Also, can someone suggest the benefits/disadvantages of either openelec or XBMCBuntu? (I have not used either of them yet).

You need DDR3L SODIMMs with 1.35V voltage. Crucial is cheapest and works good, but if you're looking for a 4-gig memory module, be sure that you get this module with a J at the end of the model (Amazon link). For 2 or 8 gig modules, the "normal" module without J works ok. If you're in Europe, it's worth checking out Kingston as it's better available. KVR16LS11/4 or KVR16LS11/8 are the NUC compatible models from them. If you're after absolutely last drop of performance it makes sense to install 2 memory modules of the same kind as that will enable dual channel mode. In practice the difference is minimal though... How much you need depends on what you want to do with it. Memory is rather cheap though, so maybe two 4-gig modules? I've got two 2-gig modules and it's enough for everything I want to do with my NUC though.

When it comes to your second question, it's the second question in OE FAQ: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...e_to_me.3F
i downloaded newest nightly from here ftp://night.dyndns.org/openelec/master/x64/

pctv 460e works fine

edit:

after some while viewing the same channel, i now got the pixelation again
now, even after removing power cord i get the pixelation directly after boot. weird
ok i thing i got a solution for this.

Prosieben HD - no pixelation
RTL HD - pixelation as before.

My kernel build date is May 1 00:51:15 so it's too old?

i'll test xbmcnightlybuild.com when it's finished uploading

edit2:

ok xbmcnightlybuilds version seems to be newer. i now also got the new bootsplash

yeah, now it definitly works fine Wink
If someone wants to test the 3.14.2 kernel with the patch in Ubuntu, you can download it from: http://trsqr.net/olli/linux/

Just do a sudo dpkg -i linux*xhci*deb to install the kernel.

This is a NUC specific kernel thou.
(2014-05-02, 20:59)macmus Wrote: hi guys,

Got Abel H2 case and mounted in it recently my I5 NUC.
I'm little scared though about the temperatures.

Idle is ~40C
Watching movies ~55C with 10% cpu load.
Watching Netflix over silverlight pushes temps to ~75C with HDD temps reaching almost 60C

max when pushing temp with Prime95 was 85!

Is this normal ?

when watching netflix whole case is barley touchable, so hot it is :O

I used first time paste given with case but Nuc shutdown twice on me with temp around 50, so i repasted with best artic silver I could get and it started to work without hickups but the temps are scary.
I'm afraid it will start fire on my TV closet.

Anyone with abel H2 case wants to post experience ?

I have also got a H2 case. I only have the I3 NUC, though. I have mounted a 1 TB WD Red HDD, a Kingston 64 GB ssd. In idle the cpu temperature is typically 37 degrees Celsius. While watching a BR rip the temperature rise to ~45C. Once after a movie I have seen the temperature to rise to 49C, which is the hottest I have seen. I have only used the temperature reading within XBMC. Not sure if that is accurate enough. My os is ubuntu 13.10.
(2014-05-03, 08:37)trsqr Wrote: Kernel 3.14.2 works fine for me when patched with that patch. Can you ahgee2 or Nafi confirm this if possible? Thanks!

Confirmed all working fine in the latest Openelec build from

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/

trsqr, fritsch - you are heroes, many many thanks!
Thank you all!

Made first tests with http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/ (r18325) and no pixelation so far. Great.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
(2014-05-03, 09:25)Jorgensen Wrote:
(2014-05-02, 20:59)macmus Wrote: hi guys,

Got Abel H2 case and mounted in it recently my I5 NUC.
I'm little scared though about the temperatures.

Idle is ~40C
Watching movies ~55C with 10% cpu load.
Watching Netflix over silverlight pushes temps to ~75C with HDD temps reaching almost 60C

max when pushing temp with Prime95 was 85!

Is this normal ?

when watching netflix whole case is barley touchable, so hot it is :O

I used first time paste given with case but Nuc shutdown twice on me with temp around 50, so i repasted with best artic silver I could get and it started to work without hickups but the temps are scary.
I'm afraid it will start fire on my TV closet.

Anyone with abel H2 case wants to post experience ?

I have also got a H2 case. I only have the I3 NUC, though. I have mounted a 1 TB WD Red HDD, a Kingston 64 GB ssd. In idle the cpu temperature is typically 37 degrees Celsius. While watching a BR rip the temperature rise to ~45C. Once after a movie I have seen the temperature to rise to 49C, which is the hottest I have seen. I have only used the temperature reading within XBMC. Not sure if that is accurate enough. My os is ubuntu 13.10.

Then i think i have too high temps.
Although i am using it for many diffrent things including transcoding and i have windows 8 pro.
On one profile i am running xbmc and on diffrent i am logged with remote desktop and running sgzbd headphones and couch potato. when i log out from xbmc and push only proc using transcoding 100% cpu usage i go up to 75.
It seems this is hd5000 which is giving this extra C.

Altough hasswell should work up to 100C and on my gaming lap 94 is usual temp iam not scared.
(2014-05-03, 08:52)trsqr Wrote:
(2014-05-02, 21:32)mystik Wrote: Which RAM do you suggest I use in the Haswell NUC? I want it to be as fast as it can, but I don't want to waste money on overkill.

Also, can someone suggest the benefits/disadvantages of either openelec or XBMCBuntu? (I have not used either of them yet).

You need DDR3L SODIMMs with 1.35V voltage. Crucial is cheapest and works good, but if you're looking for a 4-gig memory module, be sure that you get this module with a J at the end of the model (Amazon link). For 2 or 8 gig modules, the "normal" module without J works ok. If you're in Europe, it's worth checking out Kingston as it's better available. KVR16LS11/4 or KVR16LS11/8 are the NUC compatible models from them. If you're after absolutely last drop of performance it makes sense to install 2 memory modules of the same kind as that will enable dual channel mode. In practice the difference is minimal though... How much you need depends on what you want to do with it. Memory is rather cheap though, so maybe two 4-gig modules? I've got two 2-gig modules and it's enough for everything I want to do with my NUC though.

When it comes to your second question, it's the second question in OE FAQ: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...e_to_me.3F

Hm, I ordered my NUC and the RAM yesterday, but I bought the 4GB Crucial without the J at the end (so this one: CT51264BF160B). What´s the problem with the 4GB module without the J at the end?
I just bought one of these babies. It seems to work out of the box with my MCE remote as well.

One thing that's missing is the ability to reprogram the keys. My previous HTPC had the iMon IR receiver (built-in) and it had a nice app that let me convert IR signals to keyboard keys which was great.

With the NUC, I can only change behavior in apps that directly support the remote. But I would like to do some system-wide modifications. For example, I want the Power Off button to close the current window (Alt-F4), and I want the "Start button" (the button with the Media Center logo) to open up XBMC (it currently doesn't do anything).

Any ideas if any of this is possible? Thanks!
Quote:I just bought one of these babies. It seems to work out of the box with my MCE remote as well.

One thing that's missing is the ability to reprogram the keys. My previous HTPC had the iMon IR receiver (built-in) and it had a nice app that let me convert IR signals to keyboard keys which was great.

With the NUC, I can only change behavior in apps that directly support the remote. But I would like to do some system-wide modifications. For example, I want the Power Off button to close the current window (Alt-F4), and I want the "Start button" (the button with the Media Center logo) to open up XBMC (it currently doesn't do anything).

Any ideas if any of this is possible? Thanks!

Not nuc specific, please open another thread. When you do, specify what operating system you use.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-04, 00:38)Dr_Cox1911 Wrote: Hm, I ordered my NUC and the RAM yesterday, but I bought the 4GB Crucial without the J at the end (so this one: CT51264BF160B). What´s the problem with the 4GB module without the J at the end?

https://communities.intel.com/message/213351 :

"The different between these parts is the density meaning
the number of black DRAM chips that make up the module. Part CT51264BF160B is a
low density version which will have 16 chips in total. Part CT51264BF160BJ
(note the J at the end) is high density meaning it will use only 8 DRAM chips
on the module.

The Intel D54250WYK will accept high density 4GB
modules only and this is why you are experiencing instability."
Thanks much for the info and comments.

(2014-05-04, 07:55)trsqr Wrote:
(2014-05-04, 00:38)Dr_Cox1911 Wrote: Hm, I ordered my NUC and the RAM yesterday, but I bought the 4GB Crucial without the J at the end (so this one: CT51264BF160B). What´s the problem with the 4GB module without the J at the end?

https://communities.intel.com/message/213351 :

"The different between these parts is the density meaning
the number of black DRAM chips that make up the module. Part CT51264BF160B is a
low density version which will have 16 chips in total. Part CT51264BF160BJ
(note the J at the end) is high density meaning it will use only 8 DRAM chips
on the module.

The Intel D54250WYK will accept high density 4GB
modules only and this is why you are experiencing instability."

I bought Kingston HyperX 16GB Kit 1600MHz DDR3L PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM 1.35V Low Voltage XMP Desktop Memory KHX16LC9K2/16X. It does not have a J at the end, but I read in a post someone else is using it with a NUC. Hoping it will work. The last part I am waiting for.[/align]
  • 201(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7