• 6(current)
OS X Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick
(2014-10-15, 15:42)Memphiz Wrote: Well nfs should be rock solid. If you want to go that route i might be able to help you through your issues (though i didn't test the 10.9.5 nfs server yet but i doubt that apple changed anything on that server since its more a hidden feature of osx).

That would be great, any idea why video stuttered over NFS?
I'm a total noob when it comes to NFS so I used a combination of guides and NFS Manager to enable it on my mac, but I could easily have done something wrong there. I edited the plist file and added shares with NFS Manager, then I created new network locations in XBMC for both shared volumes. This enabled me to add a source over NFS (I tested it by adding just one small folder) but when I tested a video last night, it stuttered several times.
Is there a way to keep my NFS sources from going offline when my mac sleeps? I never had that problem with SMB, but now it seems to be unavoidable either way.

Today I created advancedsettings.xml and set cachemembuffer to 0 as I thought the stuttering may have had something to do with that (even though I never had that problem before). I'm currently testing SMB sources again and while video played smooth for about an hour, just now the screen went black and I got directed back to the library again. this suuuucks.
(2014-10-15, 13:01)InvisibleMonkey Wrote: e: oh, I've also tried setting up the SMB path as smb://[email protected]/folder but it didn't make any difference.

I tried that as well, but it didn't work either. New error though: "Operation not permitted." So I cannot connect with AFP, SMB, or CFIS. I don't even want to try NFS due to the problems (stuttering, wake from sleep) already mentioned. What's going on here, guys? is this affecting anyone using OS X 10.9.5 as a server, or just some?

BTW, is anyone else using Little Snitch? I thought that might have been the problem because the 3.40 update coincided with AFP working temporarily. But then it stopped working. I disabled the network monitoring and I still could not connect. BTW, I have no problems connecting via SMB with an iPhone SMB client called Remote File Browser.
Actually, because of several people recommending NFS to me, I've given it another try and while I haven't tested everything yet, it seems to work ok now.
Last time I tested it I hadn't adjusted the cache settings in advancedsettings.xml yet (both cachemembuffer & readbufferfactor), so that might very well have been the cause of the stuttering. So far, no stutters or freezes in 1+ hrs of streaming HD video, I'm gonna let it run for a while longer just to be sure (currently playing Twin Peaks, I can do this all day Smile).
I also found out the hard way that NFS paths do not like spaces in volume names when one of my external HDDs had a glitchy connection, I just changed the name to prevent issues.
I have also enabled Wake on LAN on both my mac and in XBMC, I think the OSX function only works with an airport device (which I do not have), but it seems to be working now and I have enabled sleep on my MBP again.

If I run into any other issues I'll give an update, but for now it seems like my NFS overhaul + XBMC tweaking might have worked. Thanks, all.
Noobs Guide to OSX - NFS file sharing:

Download NFS Manager 3.9 from here.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

Start app, do not worry about the message warning box NFS DNS Check. I have never had an issue.
Also contrary to what has been said previously - > spaces in Volume names are allowed on my NFS OSX Mavericks setup.

When selecting your shared folders in XBMC, use Zeroconfig browser to add them.

This config also allows you to backup your library metadata from XBMC to the shared folders selected in NFS manager.

Configure Shares:

1. Select NFS Server > Share Definitions
2. Click plus + to add a share in Shared Folders window
3. Click "Select" below the + - and add your Folder you want to Share
4. Options - tick only this >> 'Allow clients to also mount objects in the shared folder"
5. User Mapping > Don't map users
6. Minimum Security > System standard only
7. Access Permission > Allow access from any network computer
8. Click "Apply" and you done.
9. NFS manager can now be Quit and OSX will still continue to share files and folders even after rebooting.

Note: Even if you have Wake for Network Access enabled in OSX Mavericks - Preferences > Energy Saver. Your Mac will still sleep using NFS sharing. This is a know problem and Apple still have not fixed the issue. Maybe OSX Yosemite could finally tidy this problem up.
For a sort of workaround, I recommend downloading a little app called Caffeine that sits in your top menu bar on OSX.

http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/

You can then keep your Mac awake for various time periods before Energy Saver sleep kicks in.

EDIT 1st Feb: It seems some are still having issues accessing NFS shares. If that is the case, please add the -N flag as outlined in this NFS sharing Wiki.

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS#NFS_sharing_from_OS_X

Follow this post to easily edit the .plist:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1910325

Tongue

Thanks for insights on NFS but…

(2014-10-16, 11:17)InvisibleMonkey Wrote: I also found out the hard way that NFS paths do not like spaces in volume names when one of my external HDDs had a glitchy connection, I just changed the name to prevent issues.
I have spaces in volume names and changing that is not a viable option because of other system automation stuff. And I don't much like the Caffiene work around either. Really like to see SMB or AFP work as they should, and question I posted above about how common this is stands.
(2014-10-16, 21:40)ctawn Wrote: Thanks for insights on NFS but…

(2014-10-16, 11:17)InvisibleMonkey Wrote: I also found out the hard way that NFS paths do not like spaces in volume names when one of my external HDDs had a glitchy connection, I just changed the name to prevent issues.
I have spaces in volume names and changing that is not a viable option because of other system automation stuff. And I don't much like the Caffiene work around either. Really like to see SMB or AFP work as they should, and question I posted above about how common this is stands.

Well, YMMV, on doing a cat /etc/exports check in terminal the NFS share path showed up with a \ in front of the space, so I copied that in XBMC and it did connect for a while. Then it went offline again until I changed the name of the drive. It was a pain in the ass for the same reasons you mentioned, but my NFS connections are now both very stable. I also circumvented the need for disabling sleep or using caffeine by enabling the Wake on LAN function in OSX and XBMC and that also works perfectly.
I was in the same place you are but I'm glad I made the switch to NFS now, with a little tweaking it fixed all the problems mavericks brought to my SMB connections.
@Invisible Monkey and ctawn - > I still fail to understand why you think there are problems with spaces in volume names with NFS. All my shared drives have spaces and I just use Zeroconfig browser in XBMC to connect to NFS shares, no mucking about with text path \ symbols. Point and click.

@InvisibleMonkey, where is Wake on LAN in Mavericks, I only see Wake for Network Access in Preferences - > Energy Saver on my OSX Mavericks ?
It does not work with NFS ?

(2014-10-17, 03:07)wrxtasy Wrote: @Invisible Monkey and ctawn - > I still fail to understand why you think there are problems with spaces in volume names with NFS. All my shared drives have spaces and I just use Zeroconfig browser in XBMC to connect to NFS shares, no mucking about with text path \ symbols. Point and click.

@InvisibleMonkey, where is Wake on LAN in Mavericks, I only see Wake for Network Access in Preferences - > Energy Saver on my OSX Mavericks ?
It does not work with NFS ?

I had to use direct paths because all the browser functions pretty much stopped working after mavericks, the one to the drive without a space in the name kept working, the other one didn't so I looked it up and found many people confirming that their paths did not work with a space in it. If you can get around by using the zeroconf browser, good for you.

I meant Wake on Network on OSX and Wake on LAN in XBMC, I have tested it and it works just fine.
I may soon be forced to try NFS in that case. I thought so because of what IM said. Nevertheless I would like to see SMB or AFP work as intended, and remain really curious whether this is a universal problem serving on OS X 10.9.5+, or whether there are just a lot of people affected. I wonder about the silence of the dev on this (mostly) -- is it a known problem or not?

By the way I updated to Yosemite (10.10) and the problem persists as before.
I'm not a dev, but I haven't been able to test this myself because I've been refusing to update my MBP past 10.8 ;)

I'll try to get 10.9 and 10.10 working on my hackintosh again. I don't mind if that breaks, but my MBP is my main computer, and I know of a couple of things that either don't work, or are a step backwards, on 10.9+.

The last time I tried to research this, it sounded like XBMC wasn't the only program having issues connecting to 10.9 and 10.10 file shares, but it's been a while since I looked.
Ned, thanks for chiming in. I hear you – I stayed on 10.7.5 until about a month ago for the same reasons. But time marches on, and we have to dive in at some point and deal with the breakage. It's just too bad that XBMC is one of the big ones. XBMC may not be the only program having issues, but it's clearly not irresolvable because I can attest that there _are_ SMB clients that connect without trouble.
Info on the downside of NFS file sharing on OSX and Wake for Network access problems:

XBMC/ NFS tested and failed to keep Mac awake:
System > Power Saving > Try to wake remote servers on access
Addon > Advanced Wake On Lan

I've just updated to OSX Yosemite and problems still persist getting the Mac to stay awake when using NFS file sharing. I still don't believe InvisibleMonkey has got this problem sorted,. If he magically has the ongoing NFS sleep issue solved, please post detailed instructions here and on the Apple Discussion Forums. A lot of OSX users will likely think him a God..... Wink

The detail of the problem:
Quote:Note that as of 10.9.4 and all earlier versions of OSX that use sleep assertions to determine whether the computer will sleep or wake from network activity (present since at least Mountain Lion I believe), the NFS filesharing protocol still does not generate an assertion. This means the computer will go to sleep while you watch a video from a remote location and/or will not wake from sleep when trying to access the computer using NFS. I have to keep my computer awake at all times for this reason.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1752524

Massive post with details here too:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183941

SMB file sharing and Wake for Network Access works fine to wake up a Mac and keep it awake, I might even remove NFS sharing and revert to SMB if network speed is reasonable.

(2014-10-16, 17:14)wrxtasy Wrote: 8. Click "Apply" and you done.
Thanks for this hint how to activate nfs for XBMC. I did as you wrote and - am stuck. I have achieved nothing. I can see my computer with nfs, I can open it. But I can’t open the directory in order to activate a subdirectory or the files in it. This is as before with SMB. What can here be wrong? I try since yerstrday so add a network folder to XBMC and begin to believe that this is impossible because I tried all available option without the sligjhtest succes... :-(

Has anybody any hint what to do?
My hint is filesystem permissions
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
No. Tht’s not the problem. I can see the directories and files from all other machines in the network. It is read only bot open for everyone.

Anyway: I found out now that it works with smb3. (This means, there is no issue with filesystem permissions.) I installed and activated smb3 with smbup. But the problem is, that smb3 is no longer active after reboot. So I have to open very tome smbup. That’s no solution. Probably it’s better to give up. I don’t like PLEX, that’s why I try XBMC. I looks much better (on my mac and on Fire TV), but PLEX works, XBMC doesn’t...
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with SMB protocol after updating to Mac OS Maverick0