• 8(current)
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source
There is nothing illegal about "ditistv". Everything about it is legal.
Just ask them through theyre contact form Wink
(2014-11-05, 20:39)Komerad Wrote: There is nothing illegal about "ditistv". Everything about it is legal.

Ask them for their source code that they refuse to give out?
Haven't xbmc been asking eBay etc to take down similar distributions as they associate xbmc with illegal practices? Can't that be applied here?
(2014-11-05, 20:39)Komerad Wrote: There is nothing illegal about "ditistv". Everything about it is legal.

So you have the source code? Why not put it somewhere public and publish the URL?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
First step to hurt DitIsTV their business model

(2014-11-05, 22:20)nickr Wrote:

So you have the source code? Why not put it somewhere public and publish the URL?

I don't. They claim everything is legal when you ask them via the contact form on the webshop.
If they were behaving legally they would be providing the source. Full stop end of story. Read gpl2.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-15, 16:40)Komerad Wrote:
(2014-11-05, 22:20)nickr Wrote:

I don't. They claim everything is legal when you ask them via the contact form on the webshop.

Well they are hardly going to admit to doing anything illegal are they, how stupid we would that be?

The Dutch Reclame Code Commisie did not agree with that sentiment: https://www.reclamecode.nl/webuitspraak....586&acCode
No, the box itself is NOT illegal.

Quote:Men verkoopt een toestel om illegaal films te bekijken. Dat is op zichzelf niet verboden. In de uiting doet men echter aan de consument voorkomen alsof een en ander volstrekt legaal is, dit ten onrechte. Klager wijst in dit verband op de tekst:

Yes, downloading is illegal. And streaming is considered the same as downloading. Because of that it is illegal to say that streaming is legal and therefor he is wrongly advertise the box.

However the box itself is not illegal. Using it is. People also buy swords, knives, (certain) guns etc. All of them legal to sell, illegal to use.
Quote:However the box itself is not illegal. Using it is.

That's even more sad from a poor user's point of view, that is buying this box. We should find a way, that this won't happen in the support of kodi, be it the name kodi nor anything else.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I also don't agree with the statement that nothing is downloaded and it can be compared with YouTube.
Enable downloading is just as simple as enable a setting for it.
And regarding YouTube. YouTube is a controlled service, nothing illegal can be found there, can't be said for DITV!
(2015-05-07, 12:23)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:However the box itself is not illegal. Using it is.

That's even more sad from a poor user's point of view, that is buying this box. We should find a way, that this won't happen in the support of kodi, be it the name kodi nor anything else.

No, it's not sad; it's great. Dutch government made those laws to protect individual users. Fact is that a free codebse is uncontrollable. Only thing that can be done is excellent stewardship. There you have the solution.
Sorry, can you explain your reasoning a bit more in detail?

When I buy something as a user and later realize, that I am not allowed to use my new box at all, I would feel sad. How would you feel?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-07, 12:33)fritsch Wrote: Sorry, can you explain your reasoning a bit more in detail?

When I buy something as a user and later realize, that I am not allowed to use my new box at all, I would feel sad. How would you feel?

Stupid.
But at least my government protects me for this stupidity. Would you rather see those poor users in court? And do you really think you can control forks of a free codebase?

In the view of Dutch government, Jinx might be the criminal. Not a single user, not XBMC Foundation and not team XBMC.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source2