• 1(current)
Release script.ambibox for ambient lighting [Windows Only]
I am starting this thread for support for the script for ambibox which just recently was accepted in the official repo.

Prerequisites
An external LED ambient lighting setup (i.e. WS2801 LED's and an Arduino board connected to your HTPC).
Windows 7 or higher.
The windows program ambibox is installed and setup.

Functions
The script setup allows different lighting profiles based on content. It also provides a capture mode directly from XBMC to the ambibox program.
For some users, this direct capture mode may provide improved performance over other capture modes.

Links
More info about the Ambibox Program and download
Details about configuring the script
Demo video
Download the most recent version for manual installation

Notes for current users
This release version (1.0.1 and higher) does away with the use of a separate xml file for aspect ratio switching. This is configured directly on the add-on page.
You will need to reconfigure your settings, but this should be much easier due to the fact that the names of your profiles are retrieved from Ambibox and can be selected on the settings page.
Due to rules to be included in the official repo, mediainfo.dll is no longer included directly in the script download. If you desire the added functionality this provides, it can be downloaded and installed directly from the settings page.
There are a number of new features. Check the link above.

Troubleshooting
If you believe you are having trouble with the script, please post in this thread.
Please post a copy of your XBMC.log on pastebin.com and provide a link in your post.
If appropriate, please also post a copy of your settings (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.ambibox\settings.xml) to pastebin.com as well.
Please include a brief summary of your hardware and specifically what capture mode you were using when you encountered your problem.

FAQ
Will this run on OS's other than windows?
No. I did not author the windows program and author has indicated he has no intention in making it cross-platform.

Can you help me with performance or hardware issues related to Ambibox?
No. This thread is for help with the script. The program author addresses hardware issues here: Ambibox hardware forum
I hope it is alright to post it here. I modified the script to work on the latest Kodi beta. Feel free to grab it here (link deleted)
There were some XBMC-references mainly in default.py and one in mediainfofromlog.py that needed change to "Kodi"

Thanks for this great script

Edit:
links deleted because official Version is out now
Script for Kodi
(2014-11-28, 07:23)demmax2004 Wrote: Script for Kodi

Thanks...

I am traveling for a few weeks. Once I return I will test everything again with RC and post back if any revisions are needed.

Ken

PS I know I need to update the wiki page with new features. Will do that soon as well.
Hey guys,

So I'm running an Adalight system and until now, I was using Ambibox 2.1.5.
However, I noticed that Ambibox received a new update and (foolishly) decided to update.

Now, the XBMCDirect plugin doesn't seem to engage the lights. The notifications within XBMC appear as if everything is working, but I get no activity on the lights themselves. I can confirm they work when using other screen capture methods, but the one I use it for (XBMCDirect) doesn't work. When I quit XBMC, Ambibox always automatically unticks "use backlight", no matter how many times I make sure it's ticked before running XBMC.

I am using default settings on the plugin within XBMC, here is my log, created by simply opening XBMC, selecting a random movie with the plugin running, and stopping the movie.
http://pastebin.com/vbrv45Zh

Running Windows 8.1 with the latest stable release of XBMC (Gotham) 13.2.

Can you PLEASE help me?
As mentioned above, I am traveling, so I may not be able to help as much as normal.

Please check in your settings that the profile name selected for XBMCDirect is correct and is the same name as the profile you want to use in the Ambibox windows application and is setup for XBMCDirect. From looking at the log, it seems that it is not detecting that the profile that is being selected (called HTPC, log line 3175) at the time video is playing is an XBMCDirect profile.

Also, the intended behavior as it currently stands is to turn off the lights upon exiting from XBMC/Kodi at this time.
(2014-12-05, 14:41)KenV99 Wrote: As mentioned above, I am traveling, so I may not be able to help as much as normal.

Please check in your settings that the profile name selected for XBMCDirect is correct and is the same name as the profile you want to use in the Ambibox windows application and is setup for XBMCDirect. From looking at the log, it seems that it is not detecting that the profile that is being selected (called HTPC, log line 3175) at the time video is playing is an XBMCDirect profile.

Also, the intended behavior as it currently stands is to turn off the lights upon exiting from XBMC/Kodi at this time.

I have tried both 'no default profile' and manually setting the profile to 'HTPC' within the plugin and neither works.

Any ideas?
(2014-12-05, 16:32)djcorvus Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 14:41)KenV99 Wrote: As mentioned above, I am traveling, so I may not be able to help as much as normal.

I have tried both 'no default profile' and manually setting the profile to 'HTPC' within the plugin and neither works.

Any ideas?

Sorry to belabor this but:

1) In the Ambibox windows program you have a profile called 'HTPC' and it configured to use XBMCDirect (KodiDirect), right?
2) On page two of settings under 'Choose -' you have chosen 'Use XBMCDirect' (KodiDirect), right?
3) Under this for 'Profile for XBMCDirect' (KodiDirect) you have chosen the profile I referred to in step 1, right?

I ask bc if you chose 'no default profile' then the lights will not work, nor should they.
And if you don't have a profile in the windows program called 'HTPC' that is configured for XBMCDirect, then the lights will not work either.

Edit:
Looking in pastebin, you actually don't have the most recent version.
Download from here: https://github.com/AmbiBox/script.ambibo...master.zip
After using install from zip, you'll need to rename the addon directory to script.ambibox (removing the -master part).
Then try again.
If you post a log again, please turn off debug and then rerun XBMC and try playing again. All that is needed to troubleshoot can be seen without debug turned on. It just makes it harder to find the relevant parts for me.
(2014-12-06, 03:06)KenV99 Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 16:32)djcorvus Wrote:

Any ideas?

1) In the Ambibox windows program you have a profile called 'HTPC' and it configured to use XBMCDirect (KodiDirect), right?
2) On page two of settings under 'Choose -' you have chosen 'Use XBMCDirect' (KodiDirect), right?
3) Under this for 'Profile for XBMCDirect' (KodiDirect) you have chosen the profile I referred to in step 1, right?

I ask bc if you chose 'no default profile' then the lights will not work, nor should they.
And if you don't have a profile in the windows program called 'HTPC' that is configured for XBMCDirect, then the lights will not work either.

Edit:
After using install from zip, you'll need to rename the addon directory to script.ambibox (removing the -master part).
Then try again.
If you post a log again, please turn off debug and then rerun XBMC and try playing again. All that is needed to troubleshoot can be seen without debug turned on. It just makes it harder to find the relevant parts for me.

Ok, I've downloaded the zip, installed from zip within XBMC, then removed the '-master' from the directory, exited XBMC and reopened it.
I've browsed to the script settings and made sure that 'use default video profile' and 'HTPC' are selected, as shown here: http://imgur.com/TYth8Qa

Still no activity on the lights.

Here is my log (with debug turned off). http://pastebin.com/TgSWcM31
Any ideas?

EDIT: Just so that we're clear, I've got the profile set within Ambibox to HTPC, as shown here: http://imgur.com/IpqXij7
Note that 'Use backlight' is unticked, as XBMC seems to untick this every time I exit (which is normal apparently). I have noticed that whilst XBMC is running in windowed mode, 'use backlight' in Ambibox is ticked, however still no activity from lights and Ambibox registers 'capture speed' as 0 FPS.
(2014-12-06, 03:54)djcorvus Wrote:
(2014-12-06, 03:06)KenV99 Wrote:
(2014-12-05, 16:32)djcorvus Wrote: I have tried both 'no default profile' and manually setting the profile to 'HTPC' within the plugin and neither works.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Then try again.

Ok, I've downloaded the zip, installed from zip within XBMC, then removed the '-master' from the directory, exited XBMC and reopened it.
I've browsed to the script settings and made sure that 'use default video profile' and 'HTPC' are selected, as shown here: http://imgur.com/TYth8Qa

Still no activity on the lights.

Here is my log (with debug turned off). http://pastebin.com/TgSWcM31
Any ideas?

EDIT: Just so that we're clear, I've got the profile set within Ambibox to HTPC, as shown here: http://imgur.com/IpqXij7
Note that 'Use backlight' is unticked, as XBMC seems to untick this every time I exit (which is normal apparently). I have noticed that whilst XBMC is running in windowed mode, 'use backlight' in Ambibox is ticked, however still no activity from lights and Ambibox registers 'capture speed' as 0 FPS.

As I just BOLDED above in step 2, you need to choose 'Use XBMCDirect' NOT use default profile. If you choose 'use default profile' all it does is switch to that profile. It does not start sending any data....

Then under 'profile for KodiDirect you should choose 'HTPC'
Thank you so much, KenV99!
Looks like that pretty much fixed it.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't understanding what you meant in your original post.

As a side question, is there somewhere I can look up what all the different sliders do in the "Additional configuration of zones" tab? Some of them are self-explanatory but some like 'dynamics', 'sensitivity' and 'smoothing' are less obvious. The official website doesn't describe their function as far as I can tell.

Thanks you again. Smile
I don't have a windows system to look at what you are talking about at the moment.
(2014-12-06, 06:08)KenV99 Wrote: I don't have a windows system to look at what you are talking about at the moment.

No problem. If anybody else knows where I can look up the meanings of these sliders, it'd greatly be appreciated! Smile
hello is it possible 2 lightpacks coneckt whit kodi
No. Not that I am aware of using ambibox.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
script.ambibox for ambient lighting [Windows Only]0