• 18(current)
Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices
Just to add:

I was thinking that the devices are flashed with Linux because it is the 'best' OS available. From this I was expecting to be able to run my device with almost all Linux features i.e. for home automation as well as Kodi (XBMC). I guess they are flashed with Linux as it offers the best viewing experience, less buffering etc rather than other operating systems.

I have downloaded the openvpn source but there doesn't seem to be a compiler in the firmware. I am guessing I would also need to download the XBMC source provided by the OP but I am lost after that when it comes to compiling openvpn. Can anyone direct me to a 'tutorial' of some kind as to how I would do this?
If it is not difficult for a guru to do perhaps I could pay someone a nominal sum to compile openvpn?
Easy Home Automation to Control your RF device within Kodi XBMC
Want to watch TV everywhere you go? Pop by the Want To Watch TV site.
(2014-12-12, 11:42)pieman Wrote: Just to add:

I was thinking that the devices are flashed with Linux because it is the 'best' OS available. From this I was expecting to be able to run my device with almost all Linux features i.e. for home automation as well as Kodi (XBMC). I guess they are flashed with Linux as it offers the best viewing experience, less buffering etc rather than other operating systems.

I have downloaded the openvpn source but there doesn't seem to be a compiler in the firmware. I am guessing I would also need to download the XBMC source provided by the OP but I am lost after that when it comes to compiling openvpn. Can anyone direct me to a 'tutorial' of some kind as to how I would do this?
If it is not difficult for a guru to do perhaps I could pay someone a nominal sum to compile openvpn?

Your post may be a bit off topic as what you are asking is more if a Linux/ARM questions but here are few suggestions. Normally you would not build binaries from source code on the player as it normally has limited resources. The normal process is to do a cross compile on a PC and either upload the binary directly or create a package supported by the player.

To create the software on a PC you would normally install a GCC cross compiler tool chain. It is less of a Kodi issue and more of Linux on ARM process, so sites XDA developers, and many other are a good place to start. I suspect you will not need the Kodi or Linux source, but other dependencies can cause problems with non-trivial software like VPNs.

I am not sure what, if any, package manager has been installed with this build, someone else may be able to comment on that. In my case I wanted rsync and I was able to find a prebuilt binary and simply copy it to /bin.

OpenVPN can be quite a complicated beast to set up, you may wish to look at Tinc, which while still not simple seems to be a bit easier to set up and get to actually work. There are a couple of ARM builds of it but you would would still need to work out how to install it on this build.
Am I the only one out there still waiting for a new build?

The last released one was very stable (and thank you for sharing it) except it had a problem with low bitrate audio which broke many video files.

Even just a new release fixing that would be very helpful, and much appreciated.

Does anyone know how to resign the latest Pivos build to remove the device check? That would be great - installing Kodi on my GBox Midnight. I believe that latest release also fixes the long-standing issue with popping sounds during mp3 playback, and also integrates an external userdata folder once again (now within a folder called "kodi-data" on your USB stick)

Never mind, I found a re-signed build elsewhere. Won't provide a link, just search for "xbmc 13.1 for pivos and clones" and look at the latest pages of the thread.
Sad 
OK I've still been unable to install anything newer than the build posted in this thread back in May.

Even this new (supposedly appropriately signed) build I downloaded earlier gives me "signature verification failed" on install.

Damn it
(2014-12-25, 00:15)cptmarginal Wrote: OK I've still been unable to install anything newer than the build posted in this thread back in May.

Even this new (supposedly appropriately signed) build I downloaded earlier gives me "signature verification failed" on install.

Damn it

Hi man, im running the hydra 13.1 from June 9. The link is on page 17 in my post. Sorry I can't copy it as I'm on a very small phone typing this in the dark. Haha
Thanks for the reply

I get "signature verification failed" with that one too

How are you installing the .img file? My recovery menu only allows me to choose zip files, so I added the file to an archive and selected that to update from. I suppose that's been the problem, that the zip file isn't signed? I had tried signing my files using signapk but couldn't get anything to work.

Just trying to figure this stuff out Big Grin
(2014-12-25, 22:57)cptmarginal Wrote: Thanks for the reply

I get "signature verification failed" with that one too

How are you installing the .img file? My recovery menu only allows me to choose zip files, so I added the file to an archive and selected that to update from. I suppose that's been the problem, that the zip file isn't signed? I had tried signing my files using signapk but couldn't get anything to work.

Just trying to figure this stuff out Big Grin

Hi mate, oh, I just flashed the .img directly... My recovery doesn't seem to care about only zips. You don't choose the 'Update from ZIP' option but rather flash/side load I think it's called...

Can I confirm that you're trying this on a MyGica 510B? That's what I have and it's buttery smooth with the 13.1 Hydra image...
I'm using a G-Box Midnight, an M3 device.

Going to try some more to figure this out. Guess I need to get an SD card and use the direct firmware recovery mode to install the img file. Or maybe I should install Clockworkmod

In any case, gotta figure out something; the current version I have flashed sucks
Here is the hydra 13.2 version that works with my g-box midnight m3. I got it from matricom and you have to put the two files on a blank sd card. Enjoy and happy holidays. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5khvj7v4kdee8l...M.rar?dl=0
(2014-12-26, 23:53)nightowl6900 Wrote: Here is the hydra 13.2 version that works with my g-box midnight m3. I got it from matricom and you have to put the two files on a blank sd card. Enjoy and happy holidays. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5khvj7v4kdee8l...M.rar?dl=0

Thanks for the above, but ethernet internet does not work on gbox midnight m3.
the-hydra over at the pivos forums (http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...935#p44750) has released a KODI Helix 14.0 stable build for the XIOS M1/M3. I have put together a signed image for the G-Box / IPTV18 2.1/2.2 (rtl8192cu or rtl8188eu/etv). Install the zip file by flashing within the original recovery or CWM. I have installed this on both my G-Box SLAVs, which also has the Amlogic 8726-M3 chip, and works pretty well. I'm a long time lurker on these boards, got tired waiting for a new build, so I decided to try for myself. Thanks to the-hydra for extending the usefulness of these boxes.

Update: aasoror over at the pivos forums (http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5091) has released a KODI Helix 14.2 stable build for the XIOS M1/M3, called TOFU. I have included a G-Box Midnight \ SLAV kernel and resigned the image, so that the stock recovery can flash this. Thanks to aasoror for extending the usefulness of these boxes.

I do not claim any credit for creating these firmware\ROMS, other than re-signing the image to be used in other similar android boxes.

If coming from Frodo or Gotham, please perform a wipe data\factory reset in recovery before flashing!

initial build 12/31/2014
- KODI 14.0 based

Download: M3_HELIX_123114.zip
MD5: A47CD7FE72C0C0F67DD5EEB60CC2F610
SHA-1: 098599D05029F698042DF808D62CDB432424FBA5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

updated 01/07/2015 build
- KODI 14.0 based
- Fixed the WIFI issue

Download: M3_HELIX_123114B.zip
MD5: 3982B0D59F5B25864345A46D1CF8C457
SHA-1: BC9299185F496E6879292C6A51C426ABA69315EE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

updated 01/10/2015 build by the-hydra
- KODI 14.0 based
- Use myResolv.conf to override DNS settings
- Use mySmb.conf to override Samba settings
- Fix for NTFS USB drives mounting as ReadOnly
- Fix for audio lagging issue

Download: M3_HELIX_011015.zip
MD5: AD38D313DB33B224B5AD885C916211D9
SHA-1: 2E2E0E2F5FA65A05CCEA7DB1CACAFD6BCBE17D15

updated 02/01/2015 build by the-hydra
- KODI 14.0 based
- Video and PVR tweaks

Download: M3_HELIX_020115.zip
MD: 2391F5D581E9EB86BE4D26F919C8C4AB
SHA-1: F65F3C00F22796137C9EC75E3CE8A5CDD4E3B0C9

updated 02/05/2015 build by the-hydra
- KODI 14.0 based
- more Video tweaks

Download: M3_HELIX_020515.zip
MD: F62661C8060324AF0D73D104BE91E4D7
SHA-1: 03441B3473B882DE0E8A4262359B46867389A6E7

updated 06/20/2015 build by aasoror
- KODI 14.2 based TOFULinux Media OS
- Fix no video for VC-1 encoded files.
- Add support for S94tofu-pre and S96tofu-post scripts.
- Pre-install skinwidgets addon.
- Add Pivos RSS feeds.
- Enable RSS ticker bar by default.

using SD Card for user data: manually create a folder on SD Card called tofu-data

using USB stick/drive or HDD (for G-Box SLAV) for user data: name of drive or partition must be called USERDATA, entirely in uppercase

Download: M3_TOFU_062015.zip
MD: 7C5117037B6B57F4D9A0E05C29883562
SHA-1: 83763F437556E73502A66AE2D4372BA10BC61A67

updated 08/10/2015 build by aasoror
- KODI 14.2 based TOFULinux Media OS
- Generate missing Dropbear ECDSA key (fixes userdata redirection breaking SSH initialization).
- Undo rssfeed reset (pre-update rss feeds survives update).
- Bump default opensubtitles addon
- Bump default yahoo weather addon
- Bump pvr addons (fixes tvheadend and mythtv connectivity issues).
- Bump libssh
- Rebrand UPnP icons
- Rebrand UPnP Server/Renderer device name
- Rebrand default device name and webserver username
- Rebrand device name in language strings.po files (GUI menus)
- Add TOFU web interface (rebranded default webinterface).
- Patch pvr-addons for compilation on older compilers.
- Remove unsupported System Info stats (battery level and serial number).

using SD Card for user data: manually create a folder on SD Card called tofu-data

using USB stick/drive or HDD (for G-Box SLAV) for user data: name of drive or partition must be called USERDATA, entirely in uppercase

Download: M3_TOFU_081015.zip
MD5: CD860330263CBA69BE134AFFB453F334
SHA-1: EEFB33B48337FD2547F009E1CEA8F8E529D1AEF1
(2015-01-03, 06:36)mivlives Wrote: the-hydra over at the pivos forums (http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...935#p44750) has released a KODI Helix 14.0 stable build for the XIOS M1/M3. I have put together a signed image for the G-Box / IPTV18 2.1/2.2 (rtl8192cu or rtl8188eu/etv). Install using the original recovery OR CWM. I have installed this on both my G-Box SLAVs, which also has the Amlogic 8726-M3 chip, and works pretty well. I'm a long time lurker on these boards, got tired waiting for a new build, so I decided to try for myself. Thanks to the-hydra for extending the usefulness of these boxes.

Awesome, I'll definitely dust off the old M3 and give this a crack
@mivlives - are you able to point me to the recovery files required to install this? It seems like all the support for this device is quickly disappearing
@nzjosh - there is a post previous to mine with a dropbox link download that contains the CWM recovery if needed...
(2015-01-03, 06:36)mivlives Wrote: the-hydra over at the pivos forums (http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...935#p44750) has released a KODI Helix 14.0 stable build for the XIOS M1/M3. I have put together a signed image for the G-Box / IPTV18 2.1/2.2 (rtl8192cu or rtl8188eu/etv). Install using the original recovery OR CWM. I have installed this on both my G-Box SLAVs, which also has the Amlogic 8726-M3 chip, and works pretty well. I'm a long time lurker on these boards, got tired waiting for a new build, so I decided to try for myself. Thanks to the-hydra for extending the usefulness of these boxes.

Many thanks for your efforts in bringing this to us.
Works fine on my gbox midnight 2.1
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo & Gotham Linux Builds for Amlogic M3 Devices7