GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings
Having the same issue here that TVHeadend 3.9 and cannot see my adapter in configure TV adapters. It shows up when I run the HD utils. Any ideas would be helpful!!

Thanks
Now that the updates for the HDHomeRun have been merged, any possibility of updating this for us not using the HDHomeRun prime? I know a little about linux but not enough to make a tutorial. Would greatly appreciate it!
I have followed this guide to setup TVHeadEnd on my HTPC and it is working pretty well so far.

Unfortunately, I experienced just a little annoying issue with the EPG grabber since the beginnning. Each time the EPG is grabbed, this process is taking all the CPU ressources of the HTPC during a few minutes until the job is done. This cause some serious video and audio lag if it happen that I'm watching something at the same time. I have tried to schedule the job to run in the middle of the night in starting it manually around 3AM the first time and setting to daily upgrade once a day in configuration > Channel/EPG > EPG Grabber > Grab Interval.

It worked for a few days until I needed to restart the HTPC during the day. Each time the TVheadEnd daemon is restarted, it seems to also reset the time of the Grab Interval.

Am I the only one that is dealing with this issue? Is there a way to set a fixed time to grab the EPG or to limit the amount of CPU ressources this process is using?
(2015-01-26, 23:00)CaptainHarlock Wrote: I have followed this guide to setup TVHeadEnd on my HTPC and it is working pretty well so far.

Unfortunately, I experienced just a little annoying issue with the EPG grabber since the beginnning. Each time the EPG is grabbed, this process is taking all the CPU ressources of the HTPC during a few minutes until the job is done. This cause some serious video and audio lag if it happen that I'm watching something at the same time. I have tried to schedule the job to run in the middle of the night in starting it manually around 3AM the first time and setting to daily upgrade once a day in configuration > Channel/EPG > EPG Grabber > Grab Interval.

You must have kind of a low powered computer for that to happen but anyway, if you are running the latest unstable version of TVHeadEnd, you should be able to schedule your grab times at any time you want. It now uses a cron job type syntax so if you wanted it to run at 3 AM you would just use 0 3 * * * in the "Cron multi-line" text box. Older versions had a different way of specifying the grab interval so you may want to consider updating. I know some people prefer to stick with stable versions, and I would probably do the same if they were released more frequently, but the current stable version of TVHeadEnd is getting really old, and they have made a lot of improvements since then.

(2015-01-26, 23:00)CaptainHarlock Wrote: It worked for a few days until I needed to restart the HTPC during the day. Each time the TVheadEnd daemon is restarted, it seems to also reset the time of the Grab Interval.

Am I the only one that is dealing with this issue? Is there a way to set a fixed time to grab the EPG or to limit the amount of CPU ressources this process is using?

If you really don't want to upgrade for some reason, read up on the nice command - use it at the start of the line of whatever program(s) are chewing up your system resources. For example, you could use nice -n 20 followed by the command you want to run (if using it in a shell script, use the full path to nice, such as /usr/bin/nice). This will make it the lowest priority possible, which means that it can still use as much CPU as it wants if nothing else is using the CPU, but it will give preference to ANY other process that may be running with a lower "nice" value (the default is 0, possible values are -20 to -20 - if you give it a negative value that means it's "not nice" and will try to hog CPU time).
(2015-01-19, 00:33)Shermer321 Wrote: Now that the updates for the HDHomeRun have been merged, any possibility of updating this for us not using the HDHomeRun prime? I know a little about linux but not enough to make a tutorial. Would greatly appreciate it!

I have refreshed my installation (ubuntu 14.04 server) with a new version of tvheadend, mostly to play around with transcoding. Here are the steps I took to make it work.

Code:
# as root
# go to your building area and install missing libraries
cd /usr/src/
apt-get install build-essential git pkg-config libssl-dev bzip2 wget
apt-get install libavahi-client-dev zlib1g-dev libavcodec-dev
apt-get install libavutil-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev
apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev liburiparser-dev
# get a snapshot of tvheadend
git clone https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend.git
# build it with hdhomerun support
cd tvheadend/
AUTOBUILD_CONFIGURE_EXTRA=" --enable-hdhomerun_client --enable-hdhomerun_static --enable-libffmpeg_static --disable-dvbscan" ./Autobuild.sh -t precise-amd64
# stop running dvdhomerun-utils and old tvheadend
service dvbhdhomerun-utils stop
service tvheadend stop
# make sure dvbhdhomerun-utils dont start automatic any more
update-rc.d dvbhdhomerun-utils disable
echo manual >  /etc/init/dvbhdhomerun-utils.override
# uninstall old tvheadend and replace it with the newly build version
apt-get remove tvheadend
cd ..
dpkg -i tvheadend_3.9.2352~g0a7ce2c~precise_amd64.deb
# have fun
reboot
(2014-01-07, 07:20)advocate99 Wrote: Visit web-site (mc2xml.hosterbox.net) and locate download link for Linux

cd /home/hts
sudo mkdir mc2xml
sudo cd mc2xml
sudo wget httpSadDownload Link obtained above)
sudo mv index* mc2xml
sudo chmod +x mc2xml
sudo ./mc2xml -c us -g 90024
I can't get the last step of running mc2xml. I've tried downloading both mirrors and each time I "sudo ./mc2xml -c us - g zipcode" it gives the error:

./mc2xml: 1: ./mc2xml: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

anyone help?
Akon - don't download as index or run that mv command, just use wget with the output option, like this:

sudo wget http://zap2xml.hol.es/?h=odgan1m -O mc2xml

Then chmod, and you should be good to go.

(2015-02-24, 23:52)akon Wrote:
(2014-01-07, 07:20)advocate99 Wrote: Visit web-site (mc2xml.hosterbox.net) and locate download link for Linux

cd /home/hts
sudo mkdir mc2xml
sudo cd mc2xml
sudo mv index* mc2xml
sudo chmod +x mc2xml
I can't get the last step of running mc2xml. I've tried downloading both mirrors and each time I "sudo ./mc2xml -c us - g zipcode" it gives the error:

anyone help?

cd /home/hts
sudo mkdir mc2xml
sudo cd mc2xml
sudo mv index* mc2xml
sudo chmod +x mc2xml

anyone help?

Hey akon, did you get this figured out? I ran into the same problem and I finally got (something) working. I think that error is because you're running a binary that isn't compiled for your architecture. Are you running a RasPi, by chance? mc2xml is compiled for x86. Pis are armhf. You should use zap2xml for linux and install perl (it's a perl script). I just got it working if you have any questions.
Anyone able to get MC2XML to work on a more recent build? I get the channels to show up to select in the channels tab, but no epg data ever comes through on the main page or any front end. Ideas?
Shermer,

MC2XML isn't going to work. As suggested in previous posts, you should switch to zap2xml, which is a Perl script (see http://zap2xml.mooo.com ). It's working just fine for me in Ubuntu (I have Perl v5.18.2 installed).
Just to make my life easier, I replaced the contents of the script, mc2xml, with the following (insert your own zap2it.com username and email, of course) so I wouldn't even have to change any settings in tvheadend:

#!/bin/sh
cd ~hts/mc2xml/
./zap2xml.pl -u put.your@email.here -p PasswordGoesHere
About a week ago I tried installing TVHeadend on a repurposed system running Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS and all I had to do after installing Ubuntu Server was use apt-get to install the HDHomeRun drivers (actually I probably didn't have to do this, it turns out that TVHeadEnd can now detect the HDhomeRun tuners even if you don't install the HDHomeRun drivers, but I didn't know that at the time):

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config hdhomerun-config-gui

And then I installed TVHeadend using the instructions on their site (I went with the "unstable" version because I have read it's really not that unstable and it contains more recent bug fixes). It found my HDHomeRun tuners and I was able to set everything up with no issues. It helped that I have a bit of experience setting up TVHeadend since I've done it a few times before, but still it was surprisingly easy to get it set up and running, and I did not have to install anything other than the HDHomeRun drivers and TVHeadend itself to get it working (although the HDHomeRun drivers came with a boatload of dependencies, and I just let it install all those).

Again, this was using Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS; if you are using another version of Ubuntu or another distro then YMMV. Also I was able to install and use zap2xml to get guide data, and that works with no problem once it's set up.

The really amazing thing is that by more or less following the instructions posted by "Johnnygo" in this thread (with some changes, see below) I am able to access two TVHeadEnd backend servers, and as long as I am careful not to let the channel numbers in the two TVHeadends overlap, everything works great in Kodi Isengard (except for the forward/backward skip bug that's supposed to be fixed in the upcoming release) and I see all the channels from both backends. All the channels from both backends appear in the Kodi EPG and I can watch recordings on either backend. I'm amazed it actually works as well as it does!

EDIT: Actually, since the instructions "Johnnygo" posted were for use with an older version of OpenElec, I had to modify them a bit. I used the added string "hdhr" to identify the copied PVR addon because I used it with HDHomerun devices, but you could use some other unique string as long as you use it in all places where "hdhr" appears. I also used mc (Midnight Commander) to copy files and directories, but you can use "cp -r ..." if you prefer, as shown in his original instructions. Here's how I did it in Kodi running under Ubuntu:

Copied /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.hts directory and contents to /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.htshdhr
Used nano to edit /usr/share/kodi/addons/pvr.htshdhr/addon.xml changed the id and name strings
Copied ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.hts directory and contents to ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.htshdhr
Used nano to edit ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.htshdhr/settings.xml and changed the ip address, etc. (I could have also done this from the addon's configuration menu in Kodi).

I also found out that if doing this in XBMC Gotham, besides using xbmc in the paths instead of kodi, there's one additional directory that has to be copied (/usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts to /usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.htshdhr) - this was NOT necessary in Kodi Isengard.
(2015-03-28, 08:02)kphammond9 Wrote:

cd /home/hts
sudo mkdir mc2xml
sudo cd mc2xml
sudo mv index* mc2xml
sudo chmod +x mc2xml

anyone help?

Hey akon, did you get this figured out? I ran into the same problem and I finally got (something) working. I think that error is because you're running a binary that isn't compiled for your architecture. Are you running a RasPi, by chance? mc2xml is compiled for x86. Pis are armhf. You should use zap2xml for linux and install perl (it's a perl script). I just got it working if you have any questions.

hi kphammond - I am trying to get zap2xml installed and working on my pi2 with openelec and tvheadend - any chance you can let me know exactly how you got it working on yours ?

I am very noobish to all this so if you can spell it out step by step that would be greatly appreciated !

I am currently running zap2xml on my windows computer and just moving the xmltv file over to the pi but I would like to get it fully automated on the pi so I don't have to worry about it
I am thinking of biting the bullet, and switching to cable TV with charter and installing an hdhomerun prime. Just basic cable no hbo or anything. Will I have any issues with that setup? The hdhomerun dual is great with the tvheadend install from this forum, but the whole encrypted situation scares me when using a cablecard. Any thoughts would be great!
I have Charter with 2 Primes. I don't have any premium channels, and only 4 or so are flagged as Copy-Once. (According to their support, though, they should all marked Copy-Freely.)

My problem with Tvheadend is that it doesn't really support the Prime. Because it's US cable, encrypted and requires a tuning adapter, Tvheadend cannot properly scan the muxes. The only solution I've found so far with Tvheadend is to use the IPTV workarounds. ( This is why I am currently using MythTV, although I'd love to find a decent lightweight solution to replace MythTV.)
So are you unable to view the 4 channels That are copy once? I could care less about recording them.

What's the big downfall of a tuning adapter? Doesn't charter supply that with the M Card anyway. I know reading some forums you have to create a mux list since, like you say, they don't have much for US. Just don't want to have to deal with it to much. Just get more channels to Kodi, that's all I ask. Any options are open.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUIDE: Complete Setup Guide for TVHeadEnd, HDHomeRun, and N.A. Program Listings2