• 28(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
One suggestion, can a separate NAS sticky thread be created so this one doers not become polluted with endless NAS talk and specifically focusses on Kodi video playback hardware please ?

I would like to suggest an addition to the NAS list. The m0n0wall derived FreeNAS Project is now called NAS4Free. FreeNAS is current be developed by iXsystems. Where as NAS4Free is still mainly community driven. Another notable mention would be the OpenMediaVault. Founded by one of the original FreeNAS creators this Linux based NAS is comparative to its BSD ancestors.

(2015-02-27, 06:23)wrxtasy Wrote: One suggestion, can a separate NAS sticky thread be created so this one doers not become polluted with endless NAS talk and specifically focusses on Kodi video playback hardware please ?
I Agree. Attached Storage Devices (USB, FireWire and Networked Wireless or Wired) have come a long way over the years and can make the Kodi experience so much better. When paired with Kodi the load on the system can be reduced, file portability allowing for storage access from 1.5 TB to 50 TB upwards and much more.
(2015-02-27, 06:23)wrxtasy Wrote: One suggestion, can a separate NAS sticky thread be created so this one doers not become polluted with endless NAS talk and specifically focusses on Kodi video playback hardware please ?
Where is the storage thread ?

Smile
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
There is a seller on ebay (moeny$hark) selling new Asus Chromebox for $129, which is a great deal and the best value for Kodi today. Its not me, just wanted to let people know.
(2015-02-27, 12:52)MrCrispy Wrote: There is a seller on ebay (moeny$hark) selling new Asus Chromebox for $129, which is a great deal and the best value for Kodi today. Its not me, just wanted to let people know.
If anything, the username is a great giveaway AngelBig Grin
Primary Sony 85" X8500F LED, Yamaha RX-V685, Odroid N2 4GB running CoreElec 19.4 RC1 (Kodi Matrix), SVS 5.1 Sound
Secondary Panasonic 50" ST50 Plasma, Pioneer AV916, Asus Chromebox running LibreElec (Kodi Leia)
Really good overview here, thanks.

I went with a Pi2 setup which is a lot better than I could have imagined, its a fantastic little box and perfect in the lounge.

I want a dual purpose box in my games room though that I'll probably dual boot with windows/openelec. Your advice is pushing me towards the chromebox route but I like the look and idea of some of the fanless mini PCs on aliexpress.com. I've got SSD drives and RAM to hand anyway, so it seems a really cheap option as well, anyone got any experience of these or can suggest why these would be a bad idea?

Was thinking i5 like this ONE

Or even a 1037u like THIS for a really cheap option.

Any thoughts?
Hi friend,
I'm new to this community.
In fact I'm looking for a good hardware for a nice kodi experience. And I have to precise that my TV set doesn't have any HDMI connection. So I need a hardware that will allow connection to the TV set with AV cables.
I thank you very much in advance for your valuable advices. Blush

We could use a NAS thread bad. I cut a lot of NAS advice out of OP, and I would like to cut it all out except my rant of why Franken-HTPCNASes are bad.

(2015-02-27, 14:26)Powlest Wrote: Really good overview here, thanks.

I went with a Pi2 setup which is a lot better than I could have imagined, its a fantastic little box and perfect in the lounge.

I want a dual purpose box in my games room though that I'll probably dual boot with windows/openelec. Your advice is pushing me towards the chromebox route but I like the look and idea of some of the fanless mini PCs on aliexpress.com. I've got SSD drives and RAM to hand anyway, so it seems a really cheap option as well, anyone got any experience of these or can suggest why these would be a bad idea?

Any thoughts?

Personally I would prefer an Intel NUC over those fanless Mini options. I will admit though the i5 one looks nice. I wouldn't do the Celeron one though, that is an Ivy chip which means a worse GPU.

(2015-02-27, 17:40)jhummun Wrote: Hi friend,
In fact I'm looking for a good hardware for a nice kodi experience. And I have to precise that my TV set doesn't have any HDMI connection. So I need a hardware that will allow connection to the TV set with AV cables.

That is a good question, and a hard one.

What jumps to mind for me is an AppleTV 1 with a Crystal HD card. That can output via non-HDMI. If it is not a HD TV and you never expect to play HD content even an old Xbox might work.

(2015-02-27, 19:29)poofyhairguy Wrote: Personally I would prefer an Intel NUC over those fanless Mini options. I will admit though the i5 one looks nice. I wouldn't do the Celeron one though, that is an Ivy chip which means a worse GPU.

Yeah ... that i5 does look nice.

This i5 Chinese box has only 15 watts of power consumption. It should run pretty cool. It has a very user friendly price.

A similar configured NUC would cost about 4 times as much.

Shocked
(2015-02-27, 17:40)jhummun Wrote: Hi friend,
It would be helpful if you told us what inputs your tv does have? Composite? Component? Dvi?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-27, 19:29)poofyhairguy Wrote:
(2015-02-27, 14:26)Powlest Wrote: Really good overview here, thanks.

Any thoughts?

Personally I would prefer an Intel NUC over those fanless Mini options. I will admit though the i5 one looks nice. I wouldn't do the Celeron one though, that is an Ivy chip which means a worse GPU.
My 1037u, same as the one pointed to, is a fine kodi machine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-27, 21:17)mpmp Wrote: A similar configured NUC would cost about 4 times as much.

I know and that makes me so nervous lol! I am a worrier sometimes though.

Pretty please give some feedback if you get one!

(2015-02-27, 22:08)nickr Wrote: My 1037u, same as the one pointed to, is a fine kodi machine.

Certainly can be, Ivy is when Intel GPUs got good. You couldn't pay me to use a Sandy GPU for Kodi. Overall though I prefer to recommend tech as up-to-date as possible, especially since we are at the end of Haswell's time.

I am hoping Skylake is a LEAP above Haswell and Ivy. Like it is so obvious everything else is a mistake kind of leap. 4K HEVC decoding in the Linux side would convince me of that.

• 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26