My New Build, Home Cinema thread.
(2014-12-01, 17:02)GTunney Wrote: The mrs just could not get on with the HTPC setup, ringing me every day at work, this isn't working, that isn't working. Since getting the QNAP I've had one call to say it wasn't working and that was because I was updating the firmware.

That's really interesting as my setup has passed the Girlfriend test Smile the beauty of the intel NUC is the speed and reliability, it turns on and off with the remote as well.

I don't think I could take the speed reduction for the sake of an integrated box, but its great to hear you are happy with the solution in your setup.
I think thats because your running OpenELEC on yours, mine was running windows 7 which caused no end of problems.

The speed reduction is barely recognisible tbh.
So next on the tech list will be a Sonos system for the house. Decided I didnt want my home cinema speakers being blasted just so music can be heard in various rooms of the house.

Planning to get one for the master bedroom and one for the kitchen for starters. These will then be used for music fed from the NAS instead of using XBMC.

Stay tuned for more!
Well nothing new tech wise but a change to the sitting room. Gone is that horrid light shade and time for some downlights.

All was going smoothly until the last light when we hit the RSJ, couldn't go through it so had to go under it.

All finished now and just some filling, sanding and painting to do.

One week later and all holes are now filled, sanded and painted.

Had an absolute nightmare with the last hole as I lost the insert so had to fill a 30mm deep, 70mm wide hole. Filler took ages to harden then to make life harder the paper on the plasterboard started ripping.

Here's me trying to rescue it and repair it.

Then an after shot (paint still wet)

And a finished shot of the room

Downlights look so much better! Hope you went LED though Wink Much more efficient
(2015-03-19, 16:38)zag Wrote: Downlights look so much better! Hope you went LED though Wink Much more efficient

Thanks, I eventually want the whole house done but it's just the cost.

Yup I sure did went for 3.5w 4000k LEDs. Nearly ended up getting the 6w but 3.5w is more then enough.
WoW, that room looks awesome, very impressive.

Do the LEDs dim?
(2015-03-19, 21:01)k4sh1n Wrote: WoW, that room looks awesome, very impressive.

Do the LEDs dim?

Thanks, sadly no I didn't get dimmable LEDs. Partially due to cost but main reason is we have lamps on in the evening.
Love the before and after photos, great job!
Thanks very much. Much appreciated :-)
Looks nice Big Grin
Thanks
Well finally some new tech has been ordered. Been itching to replace my speakers and sub with something a bit more better up the scale.

I wanted something more powerful and to give better quality and clarity with the mid tones and trebble but still keep sat speakers instead of bookshelf.

I opted for the Monitor Audio MASS 5.0 kit in black which I managed to get for a really good price (about £130GBP under RRP)

I will post up some pics once i've received the speakers and got them in place. Subwoofer wise i was going to go for the MASS W200 but have heard mixed reviews so will be going for either a BK XLS200, XLS400 or P12-300 if funds permit.

Hiya "GTunney", I really look forward to your ongoing updates and if your feeling up to answering a personal question.
How much dough (rounded figure) have you dropped on building your stash (figurines and all).
Trying to convince the significant other to provide a budget to do the same.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My New Build, Home Cinema thread.0