• 60(current)
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)
Hi there Rob,

I have a addon request for you if you don't mind. Is there any chance you could increase the custom folder backups from 2 to say 10? The reason for this is that there are only selected folders in my addon_data that I want backed up, namely my movie and TV favorites. So I would only be backing up say 8 addons.
Would this be possible?

Also would you know if the addon subcritions and xbmc library files are stored in the individual addons or somewhere else.

Last thing. Have you seen how the totalxbmc.tv guys restore there community builds to get the guisettings to stick. They restore in 2 zip files. These files are stored in a server that doesn't use a captcha. Might be worth a look.
Hi,

I run Backup in Openelec Raspberry Pi.
Is there a way to backup some files from the root directory? These files are scripts .sh.
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
First off, I love this addon and it has saved me plenty of time when setting up fresh installs.

I only have a couple questions. I have Openelec 5.0.6 on a Rpi that never gets turned off and I have it set to dim the screen after xx minutes. Usually I have Backup run once a week in middle of the night, but sometimes I have to restart the pi because it doesn't always wake up properly and the screen stays dim.

My problem is that when I restart the backup also starts which obviously slows the pi down especially being on wifi and of course this takes time to finish. I don't seem to have this on other devices so maybe I'm missing something obvious :\

Is this normal behavior for it to start on restart? Is there a way to stop/cancel the backup while in progress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2015-03-19, 04:23)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi there Rob,

I have a addon request for you if you don't mind. Is there any chance you could increase the custom folder backups from 2 to say 10? The reason for this is that there are only selected folders in my addon_data that I want backed up, namely my movie and TV favorites. So I would only be backing up say 8 addons.
Would this be possible?

Also would you know if the addon subcritions and xbmc library files are stored in the individual addons or somewhere else.

Last thing. Have you seen how the totalxbmc.tv guys restore there community builds to get the guisettings to stick. They restore in 2 zip files. These files are stored in a server that doesn't use a captcha. Might be worth a look.

I'm not going to add any more custom folders to the settings area, I think that just gets too cluttered. I have had an idea for a while though that would accomodate users that have more elabroate setups. The basic idea is to allow for a special xml file that you can define as many files or folder locations as you want. The format would be something like:

Code:
<backup>
  <path>/path/to/file.txt</path>
  <path>/path/to/folder/</path>
</backup>

There are a few catches to work out with this method but then anyone who needs to can define their own backup needs without having to modify the basic settings, which work well for most users. Would this be something that would help you? The xbmc library files are in the userdata/Database folder and the individual addon data is in the userdata/addon_data folder. If setting up custom paths you'll want to include this.

Regarding the totalxbmc.tv method of "restoring" the guisetting.xml file. I found the source for their addon and took a look. What they are doing is using the built in Skin.SetString, Skin.SetBool, etc methods to programatically set settings related to individual skins. This works well for skin settings but doesn't restore any of the system settings that are in this file. It is an interesting approach though. I do see there is some progress on the JSONRPC way of getting and setting system settings as well. I still think just being allowed to replace the file is a lot better than having to read in the old and manually place the settings but these could be doable work arounds.

(2015-03-20, 11:30)MrNice Wrote: Hi,

I run Backup in Openelec Raspberry Pi.
Is there a way to backup some files from the root directory? These files are scripts .sh.

See my above response. Right now you can only set a path to a folder to custom backup. If I follow through with the custom path option I detailed above files would be available to you.
(2015-03-20, 14:03)RustyTongueRing Wrote: First off, I love this addon and it has saved me plenty of time when setting up fresh installs.

I only have a couple questions. I have Openelec 5.0.6 on a Rpi that never gets turned off and I have it set to dim the screen after xx minutes. Usually I have Backup run once a week in middle of the night, but sometimes I have to restart the pi because it doesn't always wake up properly and the screen stays dim.

My problem is that when I restart the backup also starts which obviously slows the pi down especially being on wifi and of course this takes time to finish. I don't seem to have this on other devices so maybe I'm missing something obvious :\

Is this normal behavior for it to start on restart? Is there a way to stop/cancel the backup while in progress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a log file of this happening? The addon should be re-calculating when it does the next backup based on the current system time. So if you did 12am every night and you rebooted the computer at 1am, it would want to do a backup at 12am the next night. There isn't a mechanism in place for accounting for a missed backup due to the system being off. The log file when you boot should contain information on when the scheduler is going to try and run.
Hi Rob,
I have no idea how to code, but what you have described sounds great. That would allow me to backup custom folders and any number I liked.

Regarding the guisettings.xml file, I thought it only stored the skin settings and nothing more. Am I wrong? What else does it store.

What files are included in the config files that you have the backup option for?

Regards
There are other settings in the guisettings.xml file. Examples would include things like your localization info (timezone, etc), display settings per window. Just lots of things that are in the Settings dialogs really.

The config files backup any of the xml files you'd see in your userdata folder. These are sources.xml, advancedsettings.xml, keymap.xml, and guisettings.xml. There may be a few more in there but those are the big ones.
Hey there folks!

I am having trouble with the backup addon. I am trying to backup the addons on a USB stick but I had no luck so far. Is there something I am missing? What would be the proper path to back up on a USB stick?
Hi guys.

This looks great only just noticed it. I have no idea in coding so please forgive me if this is a stupid question or been answered before. Woukd this tool be able to replace files that are there. So like if I had folder in suowr favourites an then had updated on one of my boxes but wanted it on my other device. Would this remove the old file an replace it with the new one ?

Am assuming you can just use this addon on a device thsts already setup an just replace files.

I've tried a few other addons thry just seem to add a file or folder an not replace a specific folder. Hope this make sense. Sorry again if uts been answered or dumb question.

Great work
(2015-03-25, 04:24)casualbeta Wrote: Hey there folks!

I am having trouble with the backup addon. I am trying to backup the addons on a USB stick but I had no luck so far. Is there something I am missing? What would be the proper path to back up on a USB stick?

You should be able to browse for the path. The specifics path depends a lot on the system you are using. Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

(2015-03-25, 15:27)Madchester312 Wrote: Hi guys.

This looks great only just noticed it. I have no idea in coding so please forgive me if this is a stupid question or been answered before. Woukd this tool be able to replace files that are there. So like if I had folder in suowr favourites an then had updated on one of my boxes but wanted it on my other device. Would this remove the old file an replace it with the new one ?

Am assuming you can just use this addon on a device thsts already setup an just replace files.

I've tried a few other addons thry just seem to add a file or folder an not replace a specific folder. Hope this make sense. Sorry again if uts been answered or dumb question.

Great work

This addon has both a backup and restore mode. You can replace files with the restore mode. It doesn't check for age, it copies over everything from the restore folder to the destination.
Hi thanks for the reply

Yes I have just used it an it perfect just what I need. Thanks

Don't suppose there a way to add 1 or 2 more custom directorys

Also would it be possible to get a file from a url rarther thank Dropbox ?? I have my own webspace so would be great to just pull my backuo from there.

Amazing work thank you

Edit. My mistake I have read above regarding the extra custom directorys

Your xml idea sounds spot on a would a great benefit to a lot people. I look forward to hearing progress on thst idea. Any testing I sm
Happy to help.
In regards to option to get a restore file or send a backuo to webspace woukd be great if it's possible.

Can't beleive I've never seen this before thanks.
(2015-03-25, 20:03)robweber Wrote:
(2015-03-25, 04:24)casualbeta Wrote: Hey there folks!

You should be able to browse for the path. The specifics path depends a lot on the system you are using. Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

(2015-03-25, 15:27)Madchester312 Wrote: Hi guys.

Great work

This addon has both a backup and restore mode. You can replace files with the restore mode. It doesn't check for age, it copies over everything from the restore folder to the destination.
How do you save the main menu and sub menus from a skin that you had before for example i'm example i currently use [ Aeon Nox ]
That's a good question. I guess it depends on how the skin is storing that stuff. Some skins just dump stuff to the guisettings.xml file as variables. I use reFocus, which uses the Skin Shortcuts addon. That addon makes files in the addon_data folder so that would need to be backed up. I guess just with your specific skin author, or somewhere on their forum. I would be surprised if it wasn't either in guisettings or the addon_data folder somewhere.
I use nebular an that uses the same method. In adon_data there a shortcuts xml that will handle most submenu items. Other settings are in the gui lie the main menu layout fanart and icons ect

rob di u think uploading and downloads restore and back to and from
Webspace would be something you can do or even consider ??

Thank in advanced for your reply
Greetings. I wish to modify your plugin for my purposes.

I have a Raspberry Pi fully set up with live TV via ontapp and a bunch of other mods I have done. I wish to give my father a duplicate box so that he can watch from where he is in another country. Now I came upon your plugin because the usb-sdcard wizard plugin I tried, though working, does not let you do the restore from a http source, but yours does. But what I wish to do is modify your plugin so that instead of the popup menus that say backup/restore then the popup menu that lets your pick the folder, I wish for it to load in a list instead of the popup dialog so that I can "favorite" the restore function and link it up to the front menu for him because believe me when I tell you he is 60 and I need to make this easy for him. I have a custom skin that lets me link favorites to custom menu items on the front screen but the popup dialog puts the kibosh on that lol. Any help is appreciated.

Edit - the purpose of this is so that as I update sources of tv channels and fix/add/remove things, I want him to be able to get my updated configuration from where he is out of country.
(2015-03-26, 23:13)Madchester312 Wrote: I use nebular an that uses the same method. In adon_data there a shortcuts xml that will handle most submenu items. Other settings are in the gui lie the main menu layout fanart and icons ect

rob di u think uploading and downloads restore and back to and from
Webspace would be something you can do or even consider ??

Thank in advanced for your reply

If you just mean like an http server than I think this should partly work already. XBMC supports http as a source protocol so this addon should support it as well since it's using the xbmvfs python module. Now this will work for downloading files (restores) but probably not uploading. This is because uploading would require something on the http server side to accept and store the file (POST type requests). Enabling WebDAV on your server might get around this though. See this wiki page: http://kodi.wiki/view/HTTP

(2015-03-29, 22:02)mattmartinolc Wrote: Greetings. I wish to modify your plugin for my purposes.

I have a Raspberry Pi fully set up with live TV via ontapp and a bunch of other mods I have done. I wish to give my father a duplicate box so that he can watch from where he is in another country. Now I came upon your plugin because the usb-sdcard wizard plugin I tried, though working, does not let you do the restore from a http source, but yours does. But what I wish to do is modify your plugin so that instead of the popup menus that say backup/restore then the popup menu that lets your pick the folder, I wish for it to load in a list instead of the popup dialog so that I can "favorite" the restore function and link it up to the front menu for him because believe me when I tell you he is 60 and I need to make this easy for him. I have a custom skin that lets me link favorites to custom menu items on the front screen but the popup dialog puts the kibosh on that lol. Any help is appreciated.

Edit - the purpose of this is so that as I update sources of tv channels and fix/add/remove things, I want him to be able to get my updated configuration from where he is out of country.

Your project sounds interesting, it shouldn't be too hard to do what you want. Looking at the default.py file that gets ran when the addon starts should give you an idea of the calls needed to get lists of restore points. There are a few calls that just return python areas of the relvant information. You could probably modify this file directly to file a gui list item if that is what you wanted. Another option, that would require less modification, would be to just map the function to shortcut using "RunAddon()". The addon supports passing arguments to the function so you could pass "restore" and a folder name to the script and have it work automatically that way. See the README file for scripting: https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/b...README.txt - I'd be happy to point out anything you need help on but I'm not going to do the work for you Smile
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup)10