• 104(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-04-07, 14:03)fritsch Wrote: ... BYT has a shitty GPU, no argumentation will help.

Maybe the 12 EU in Braswell would be better Smile
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-04/intel...nd-asrock/
| myHTPC |
Jep, that will do the job :-)

Edit: Let's find out first - it has very low clocks gpu wise.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-08, 22:04)fritsch Wrote: Jep, that will do the job :-)

Edit: Let's find out first - it has very low clocks gpu wise.

This certainly looks like a promising solution. In terms of power consumption it is great: check! Passive cooling: check! Proper GPU performance in Kodi (1080i deinterlacing and resizing with high quality methods): TBC, but hopefully will work as well (please don't tell that the low gpu clock will be the bottleneck nowSmile )

This could easily be a Kodi + small home server/NAS build as an all-in-one solution (Kodi as frontend, VDR backend + VNSI-client, home file share and storage over NFS and/or SMB, small SFTP server, download box for latest linux distro with Deluge, and even a Plex Media Server for one or two streams, especially without transcoding). Everything except Plex would be a piece of cake for the SoC and the board. Even my Atom 330 based server runs Plex excellent, even with transcoding one stream and streaming another, so it should be not a problem.

Probably it will be limited to 2 Sata ports, but it would be easy to add a PCIe 4 (or more) port SATA card and there you go with a 6 drive config, system running from a small SSD, RAID for critical data and plenty of storage for media files.
Considering all this, it would use around a same amount of power as a NAS with so much more performance and without any limitations.
Wonder when will these board be available and at which price. Especially looking for the solutions from ASRock.

Sorry for the long post. BTW, what deinterlacing and resizing would work on these boards, what do you think?
Quote:Sorry for the long post. BTW, what deinterlacing and resizing would work on these boards, what do you think?

Depends on the gpu generation. If they "recycle" haswell - then all of them + lanczos3. This is what I hope - but need to find out when av.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Braswell should have Gen8 GPU, so then it's HSW Graphics.

Quote:RAID for critical data
never forget an Offline Backup for critical Data, that's more important than RAID.
| myHTPC |
(2015-04-09, 08:33)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Sorry for the long post. BTW, what deinterlacing and resizing would work on these boards, what do you think?

Depends on the gpu generation. If they "recycle" haswell - then all of them + lanczos3. This is what I hope - but need to find out when av.

This is the answer I was hoping for! All of them + lanczos3? Please make it work Smile
Will you get an itx board once they are released?
(2015-04-09, 09:02)-DDD- Wrote: Braswell should have Gen8 GPU, so then it's HSW Graphics.

Quote:RAID for critical data
never forget an Offline Backup for critical Data, that's more important than RAID.

Yes, I also hope the Gen8 GPU will finally solve all the limitations. I can't recall when was it last time that I was expecting a new hardware to be released and features reviewed.

OFF: in terms of RAID. there is also duplicity to a remote sftp, rsync to an USB drive, and syncthing across server and desktops/notebooks. All this for photos, home videos and documents, and some very rare musics I have. I really believe I'm more or less protected. Perhaps I should add cloud storage as well. I don't believe in RAID, much more in having files on separate locations. Sorry for the off.
Let's wait if audio is crypled :-)
(2015-04-09, 09:39)fritsch Wrote: Let's wait if audio is crypled :-)

Meaning?
The board will hopefully have an spdif optical out and of course over HDMI.

Do you refer to the quality or to DTS-HD and TRUEHD over HDMI?
optical is limited in all ways, 2 channels pcm only, for surround one needs to go the ac3 (transcode) route or can use dts (if av). I personally decode my audio, i am happy about the new ffmpeg dts-hd decoder. Sync of bitstream audio is far more difficult than using decoded pcm audio that you can resample a minimal bit from time to time.
(2015-04-09, 09:56)fritsch Wrote: optical is limited in all ways, 2 channels pcm only, for surround one needs to go the ac3 (transcode) route or can use dts (if av). I personally decode my audio, i am happy about the new ffmpeg dts-hd decoder. Sync of bitstream audio is far more difficult than using decoded pcm audio that you can resample a minimal bit from time to time.

OK, I get it. I use optical for DTS (5.1 and stereo) and this is all I need, although I understand it is quite outdated and many people already use more advanced audio. I'm completely satisfied with DTS 5.1 quality.

Speaking about this: is it possible to use dts-hd audio stream to convert to optical out? Will this make any sense at all in terms of quality?
Won't make any sense (only acadamice perhaps). As you get the DTS-Core passthroughed already. Decoding dts-hd to pcm and then reencoding and downmixing it to AC3 won't make things better for sure.
After updating to 14.2 and also updating several libraries. I have a weird image corruption thing going on.

On close ups of actors im getting horizontal green lines on their faces. It appears else where as well but is most noticeable on faces.

Hardware is Haswell HD4600

vainfo
http://paste.ubuntu.com/10823937/

kodi.log
[url=
http://paste.ubuntu.com/10823966/]kodi.log[/url]

Its noticeable enough to bug me.
Disable PVR please, completely - it is fully spammed of channel scans, every minute which directly causes audio dropping (passthrough is in use).

I don't use 14.2 anymore at all. It would be good, if you could consider a stable backend without teething problems, that way we have to hunt much less false positives.

Besides that if I see it right, you are running XVID files in combination with a HQ lanczos3 upscaler. Change to bilinear and revisit with a different file. If it's a general problem, try to enable the "Prefer VAAPI Output" again and see if gets better.
It turns out the green line corruption is being caused by my AVR, i bypassed it and connected the HTPC directly to the TV via HDMI and all of the green lines disappeared.

Changed an hdmi setting in the AVR and the corruption has disappeared.
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416