• 252(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Has anyone upgraded from openelec 4 to 5? I wondered if there was much difference in terms of performance - with video, audio or the PVR side. My setup is working fine, so don't want to bother with the hassle of upgrading unless there's a real reason to.
Hello guys

I need some help. I'm wondering buying an Intel NUC for playing movies, tv shows and FLAC from my desktop by ethernet. I need to play .mkv, .iso, .m2ts, 3D and 1080p/24, of course, passing DTS-HD MA for my receiver (Yamaha RX-V677). And maybe, just maybe, 4K in the future.

The NUC version with i5 4250U + 4GB + 120gb SSD would fit in my purpose? Are there any cons about this device that I should know?

I'd probably install OPENELEC with KODI.

I live in Brazil, so here the 5th generation has not yet come. Should I wait and pay more or this 4th would fit?

Thanks for the help!
Sorry, doubled post.
(2015-04-10, 07:25)mfritzen Wrote: Hello guys

I need some help. I'm wondering buying an Intel NUC for playing movies, tv shows and FLAC from my desktop by ethernet. I need to play .mkv, .iso, .m2ts, 3D and 1080p/24, of course, passing DTS-HD MA for my receiver (Yamaha RX-V677). And maybe, just maybe, 4K in the future.

The NUC version with i5 4250U + 4GB + 120gb SSD would fit in my purpose? Are there any cons about this device that I should know?

I live in Brazil, so here the 5th generation has not yet come. Should I wait and pay more or this 4th would fit?

Thanks for the help!
I would have thought a chromebox might be cheaper, but they might not be available in Brazil.

3D - you will only get SBS and TAB, not ISO or MVC with either choice.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Thanks for the help!

I am very happy with openelec 5 and my i5 4250 and with my Yamaha 3020. Smooth video no stuttering. Using an Intel nuc Mini PC – Kit Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] NUC D54250WYK

You can even use your Yamaha remote to pilot nuc and kodi.
(2015-04-09, 16:28)Nellgrove Wrote: Has anyone upgraded from openelec 4 to 5? I wondered if there was much difference in terms of performance - with video, audio or the PVR side. My setup is working fine, so don't want to bother with the hassle of upgrading unless there's a real reason to.

I did. Works great with better image and sound
(2015-04-10, 08:27)nickr Wrote:

Thanks for the help!
I would have thought a chromebox might be cheaper, but they might not be available in Brazil.

There's no problem with that, I barely use 3D, SBS will do the service. But 2D .iso will play, right?

The chromebox here in Brazil with i3 costs about 520 dollares, and this NUC with i5 4gb and 120gb about 650 dollars. Welcome to Brazil! Sad

(2015-04-10, 12:49)frarev Wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I am very happy with openelec 5 and my i5 4250 and with my Yamaha 3020. Smooth video no stuttering. Using an Intel nuc Mini PC – Kit Intel[REGISTERED SIGN] NUC D54250WYK

Great news, I'll probably getting one them. Thank you guys!!!

________

And do you think the i3 version with 4010u processor can do all this things or the i5 is the way to go?
What does the Celeron chromebox cost though? It does all you want, and should be cheaper.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-10, 17:23)mfritzen Wrote:
(2015-04-10, 08:27)nickr Wrote:

Thanks for the help!

There's no problem with that, I barely use 3D, SBS will do the service. But 2D .iso will play, right?

The chromebox here in Brazil with i3 costs about 520 dollares, and this NUC with i5 4gb and 120gb about 650 dollars. Welcome to Brazil! Sad

(2015-04-10, 12:49)frarev Wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Great news, I'll probably getting one them. Thank you guys!!!

________

And do you think the i3 version with 4010u processor can do all this things or the i5 is the way to go?

With openelec i3 is largely enough. With my i5 openelec boots in few seconds.
Thanks guys!

I bought the i5 version with 4GB and 120gb SSD. When it arrives I'll post my impressions.

-

Before I have it in hands, can you answer other doubts?

The machine comes with Linux, how can I update the bios the bios? download de iflash bios and use a bootable usb? And after that, I just download Openelec, create the installer on USB and install it? don't need to change anything on bios so I don't get stuck?

Sorry, but I'm new in "linux" world Smile
normally you just put bin file to usb and on pre-boot sequence you press F7 to get into update bios part
(2015-04-12, 23:09)mfritzen Wrote: Thanks guys!

I bought the i5 version with 4GB and 120gb SSD. When it arrives I'll post my impressions.

-

Before I have it in hands, can you answer other doubts?

The machine comes with Linux, how can I update the bios the bios? download de iflash bios and use a bootable usb? And after that, I just download Openelec, create the installer on USB and install it? don't need to change anything on bios so I don't get stuck?

Sorry, but I'm new in "linux" world Smile

And with a ssd openelec is installed in 2 seconds! Don't believe like me the first time that something is wrong or in error.
(2015-04-10, 12:51)frarev Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 16:28)Nellgrove Wrote: Has anyone upgraded from openelec 4 to 5? I wondered if there was much difference in terms of performance - with video, audio or the PVR side. My setup is working fine, so don't want to bother with the hassle of upgrading unless there's a real reason to.

Hi, I upgraded from openelec 4 to 5 today and was pretty simple, although I had to install the Aeon MQ5 Helix patch but that's seems good now too.

I previously had the correct black level, but I have black crush with openelec 5 on both machines. As I had on Openelec 4 - I have the full RGB set in autostart.sh and I have it set to limited in the menus, but this isn't working correctly now. Any ideas on what else needs to be changed?
(2015-04-21, 23:20)Nellgrove Wrote:
(2015-04-10, 12:51)frarev Wrote:

Hi, I upgraded from openelec 4 to 5 today and was pretty simple, although I had to install the Aeon MQ5 Helix patch but that's seems good now too.

I previously had the correct black level, but I have black crush with openelec 5 on both machines. As I had on Openelec 4 - I have the full RGB set in autostart.sh and I have it set to limited in the menus, but this isn't working correctly now. Any ideas on what else needs to be changed?

Hmm that sucks. Glad I haven't upgraded to Kodi yet.
(2015-04-21, 23:20)Nellgrove Wrote: I previously had the correct black level, but I have black crush with openelec 5 on both machines. As I had on Openelec 4 - I have the full RGB set in autostart.sh and I have it set to limited in the menus, but this isn't working correctly now. Any ideas on what else needs to be changed?

Disable vaapi rendering?
  • 252(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7